Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Santorum: Obama "A Snob" For Wanting Everyone To Go To College

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4378989]Look at party leadership. Paul Ryan, Christie, Romney, Coburn, Demint.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Sure. But out of all those names, I see none of them running to be the leader of the country (let alone their party).

The other 2 names? Well...one of them is in the race now. :P

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder what the highest level of education achieved is for the average Santorum supporter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4379035]I wonder what the highest level of education achieved is for the average Santorum supporter.[/QUOTE]

Being that Santorum has more college degrees than Obama....I think this is just another example of just how low in the Hypocrite Septic Tank Republicans are willing to eat from.

Such a complete joke of a has-been party. They need another terrorist attack to be able to rally 'round the flag lapel pin to have a chance to win anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sackdance;4378835]College is meaningless. For starters, I doubt highly that 4.4%; unemployment tends to be underreported to begin with. [/quote]

That's a non-argument. Unless you're suggesting college grads tend to underreport more than non-college grads, the impact on reported unemployment rates should be the same for both categories - meaning whatever bump you want to add to either won't impact the relative benefits of college on employment chances.

[QUOTE] Besides people are working decades to pay off higher education debt. This is a tragic development.
    [/QUOTE]

Not necessarily and not all that tragic. I came out of CUNY with very little debt, and chose to add to it for Grad school. Yeah, if you want to go to Duke and don't have the grades to get a strong scholarship, you'll be buried in debt - but that's a choice people have to make for themselves.

[quote]Again, does anyone here, like me, know multiple people who regret their higher education decisions?

College is meaningless.[/QUOTE]

I take it you never went to college?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adb280z;4378855]So poor people need not apply?[/QUOTE]

Not to Duke or Stanford or the like. No. Let them go to a 2 year school or a state school. If they are good they can go to Rice. It's free.
    Here's a novel idea. Join the military for a couple. They give education money. Lot's of it.
    I went to school for free. My children also. Hard work pays in the end.
    There's a need for plumbers (PK's ok), carpenters and assemblers. If more people have degrees, we'll have a higher percentage of degreed people unemployed. Everyone is not a star. Plus the majors people take are absurd. Women's studies - really. There are many other laughable ones also.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4379043]I take it you never went to college?[/QUOTE]
    lol

Let's just say you and I differ on what's appropriate to reveal of ourselves on messageboards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4379489]Not to Duke or Stanford or the like. No. Let them go to a 2 year school or a state school. If they are good they can go to Rice. It's free.
    Here's a novel idea. Join the military for a couple. They give education money. Lot's of it.
    I went to school for free. My children also. Hard work pays in the end.
    There's a need for plumbers (PK's ok), carpenters and assemblers. If more people have degrees, we'll have a higher percentage of degreed people unemployed. Everyone is not a star. Plus the majors people take are absurd. Women's studies - really. There are many other laughable ones also.[/QUOTE]

I have typed this a few times here but I went into the Air Force, spent 4 years there and learned a lot more that has helped my life and career than I ever learned in college. When I got out of the Air Force I used the GI Bill to help pay for school. I went for 3 years as a physics major thinking I would switch to engineering in the long run. Realized I hated school, didn't want to put in 2 more years minimum for Engineering if I were to transfer and if I graduated with a physics degree I wouldn't have made much more if any with a BS than I was as a bartender. So I left school and became a computer consultant which is still my field.

In one of my stints as an employee instead of a consultant I took the company up on their offer to get my degree. I went back for 2 years and got a degree in IT Management. My experience in school was better this time but I really can't say that it has made a difference in my career one way or another.

Long story short, college isn't for everyone and if you are smart and work hard you have a successful life without one.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    My question is on whose dime is everyone to attend college on? I'll have two in school next fall and for some reason I am seen as a very wealthy man not in need of any financial assistance. If my tax dollars are to go to someone else's kid in the form of some sort of "let's get everyone a college degree" bureaucracy I will be very upset.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4379613]I have typed this a few times here but I went into the Air Force, spent 4 years there and learned a lot more that has helped my life and career than I ever learned in college. When I got out of the Air Force I used the GI Bill to help pay for school. I went for 3 years as a physics major thinking I would switch to engineering in the long run. Realized I hated school, didn't want to put in 2 more years minimum for Engineering if I were to transfer and if I graduated with a physics degree I wouldn't have made much more if any with a BS than I was as a bartender. So I left school and became a computer consultant which is still my field.

In one of my stints as an employee instead of a consultant I took the company up on their offer to get my degree. I went back for 2 years and got a degree in IT Management. My experience in school was better this time but I really can't say that it has made a difference in my career one way or another.

Long story short, college isn't for everyone and if you are smart and work hard you have a successful life without one.[/QUOTE]

Good background. After college I served in the Army as an officer. Saw combat. Received some important medals. After leaving the military the company I first interviewed with (which was then and now one of the best in the country) told me that couldn't care less about anything in college except I played football and was all conference and I was a well decorated officer. They did a thorough investiagtion of me to insure what I had on my resume was accurate. No discussion of grades etc. Communication skills and leadership was all that mattered. I never one time used any of my college "learning" except for cocktail party chit chat. From then until now - that's well over 40 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4379640]My question is on whose dime is everyone to attend college on? I'll have two in school next fall and for some reason I am seen as a very wealthy man not in need of any financial assistance. If my tax dollars are to go to someone else's kid in the form of some sort of "let's get everyone a college degree" bureaucracy I will be very upset.[/QUOTE]

You are going to be very upset. :D
    It's called financial aid.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4379649]I never one time used any of my college "learning" except for cocktail party chit chat. From then until now - that's well over 40 years.[/QUOTE]

I had to put a photoshopped one on my office wall to keep the spinsters in accounting to stop b*tching to people about my pay rate.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4379656]You are going to be very upset. :D
    It's called financial aid.[/QUOTE]

you're right :(

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4379656]You are going to be very upset. :D
    It's called financial aid.[/QUOTE]

Financial aid from the Federal Government is limited. Definitely not enough to pay for a private university program. I think Pell Grants are limited to around $4000 per year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4379785]Financial aid from the Federal Government is limited. Definitely not enough to pay for a private university program. I think Pell Grants are limited to around $4000 per year.[/QUOTE]

+1

The vast majority of assistance is coming in the form of loans.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4379855]+1

The vast majority of assistance is coming in the form of loans.[/QUOTE]

Now Obama wants to limit what people have to pay on those loans and he wants to give even more back if you are a government worker. Just what we need is another entitlement program that will increase taxes and increase the tuition rate for the 10% of people that will take their obligation to repay the loans seriously.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4379862]Now Obama wants to limit what people have to pay on those loans and he wants to give even more back if you are a government worker. Just what we need is another entitlement program that will increase taxes and increase the tuition rate for the 10% of people that will take their obligation to repay the loans seriously.[/QUOTE]

It's a bad policy. The government should be lowering federal loan amounts from the onset in an attempt to pull back out of control tuition prices. In my opinion, there is too much "easy" money out there and it's driving tuition prices through the roof.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4379692]you're right :([/QUOTE]
    Off the top of my head, I think the federal government rolled out some kind of "tax credit" program (free stuff) for student aid last year, almost like a bone to throw at his intended constituency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking about this thread and the statistics some showed about the impact of a college degree on future success. Why are we assuming that it is the fact that if someone has a college degree that is what is making them more successful rather than the fact that they had the intelligence, drive, money and fortitude to get the degree which is making them successful? In my experience it is the driven person rather than the most educated that will succeed.

In other words, I was just as successful before my degree as I was after. I make the same money and honestly if we want to play fun with numbers my career leveled off just after I got my degree where before it I was getting at least an average of a 10% raise/year.

The real reason it leveled off is I chose to try being an employee instead of a consultant so my mobility was more limited plus I became more conservative due to family responsibilities etc. However if you were looking at my career and college as pure statistics you could draw the conclusion that getting a degree stifled my career growth.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    what I learned in this thread

college is meaningless
    college stifles your career growth
    GOP is helmed by freaks
    Obama who got an AA break into Harvard thinks
    everyone is college material when there's boatloads of
    HS dropouts who couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the
    C & the A

I almost LOLed till I realized who made those assertions than laughed at them instead

if you could compile all the stats (education, intellect, income, net worth) on college grads in this sorry joint Im sure youd find them to be on average more successful than non college grads but sure,
    not everyone is suited for college and not everyone who is successful was a college grad

if US low-tech/assembly manufacturing was as robust as it was before much of it was taxed, unionized into oblivion maybe it wouldnt be an issue

sanatarium was trying to turn a naive B. Hussein comment into political fodder but he failed because the college grads understand the value of a college education. Doesn't make the GOP a collective failure.
    Last edited by Jungle Shift Jet; 02-29-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4379899]Why are we assuming that it is the fact that if someone has a college degree that is what is making them more successful rather than the fact that they had the intelligence, drive, money and fortitude to get the degree which is making them successful? [/QUOTE]

Why? Because companies decided that a degree is a requisite for employment.

[QUOTE]In my experience it is the driven person rather than the most educated that will succeed.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Too bad the vast majorities of HR departments don't agree with you....