[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4379931]what I learned in this thread

college is meaningless
    college stifles your career growth
    GOP is helmed by freaks
    Obama who got an AA break into Harvard thinks
    everyone is college material when there's boatloads of
    HS dropouts who couldn't spell CAT if you spotted them the
    C & the A

I almost LOLed till I realized who made those assertions than laughed at them instead

if you could compile all the stats (education, intellect, income, net worth) on college grads in this sorry joint Im sure youd find them to be on average more successful than non college grads but sure,
    not everyone is suited for college and not everyone who is successful was a college grad

[B]if US low-tech/assembly manufacturing was as robust as it was before much of it was taxed, unionized into oblivion maybe it wouldnt be an issue[/B]

sanatarium was trying to turn a naive B. Hussein comment into political fodder but he failed because the college grads understand the value of a college education. Doesn't make the GOP a collective failure.[/QUOTE]

It's not taxation and unionization that killed American manufacturing. There are people in other parts of the world that will work for pennies on the dollar compared to American workers. Globalization.

Otherwise, I thought everything else you wrote was spot on.

Jets Insider VIP

college is meaningless
    [B]college stifles your career growth[/B]
    GOP is helmed by freaks
    C & the A

I almost LOLed till I realized who made those assertions than laughed at them instead

if you could compile all the stats (education, intellect, income, net worth) on college grads in this sorry joint Im sure youd find them to be on average more successful than non college grads but sure,
    not everyone is suited for college and not everyone who is successful was a college grad

if US low-tech/assembly manufacturing was as robust as it was before much of it was taxed, unionized into oblivion maybe it wouldnt be an issue

sanatarium was trying to turn a naive B. Hussein comment into political fodder but he failed because the college grads understand the value of a college education. Doesn't make the GOP a collective failure.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say it stifled my career, I said you could play with numbers to try to prove that point. My point was that using statistics to try to prove the value of college is useless.

I think college is different things to different people. Some people think it is the best way to get a good job, others think it is a waste of time and some, as my brother says, "College is not a play to learn a career it is a place to get an education". Of course he is a pompous ass uber-lib, pseudo-intellectual so take that for what it is worth. lol However trying to convince everyone that college is the answer to their problems is rarely productive.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg employ thousands upon thousands of well paid individuals with all sorts of impressive degrees.

[QUOTE=sackdance;4380023]Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg employ thousands upon thousands of well paid individuals with all sorts of impressive degrees.[/QUOTE]

Those guys are a dime a dozen! :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4380037]Those guys are a dime a dozen! :yes:[/QUOTE]

And it's besides the fact that it's corporate "policy" that has dictated that college degrees be a pre-requisite to employment. Who set that?

Yup. That Baby Boomer generation strikes again to f*ck the world up.

college is meaningless
    college stifles your career growth
    GOP is helmed by freaks
    C & the A

if US low-tech/assembly manufacturing was as robust as it was before much of it was taxed, unionized into oblivion maybe it wouldnt be an issue

Good post.

Hall Of Fame
    Who gives a sh!t.

10-20 yrs from now even state schools will be too expensive for kids to go to.

But we will still have thousands of scholarships readily available for foreigners.

Go China!! Cant wait to learn Chinese.

Jets Insider VIP
    And so tonight, I ask every American to commit to at least one year or more of higher education or career training. This can be community college or a four-year school; vocational training or an apprenticeship.

President Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress on Tuesday, February 24th, 2009

----------

What he meant was "The Democratic Party will not survive without our loyal college indoctrinators perverting young minds. Please go to college to be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Have a nice day."

All League
    [QUOTE=quantum;4380724]

What he meant was "The Democratic Party will not survive without our loyal college indoctrinators perverting young minds. Please go to college to be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Have a nice day."[/QUOTE]

What does it say about modern conservatism that college is seen as democratic indoctrination?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4380732]What does it say about modern conservatism that college is seen as democratic indoctrination?[/QUOTE]

"seen"? what, like its not true?

I saw it first hand in the 80s when I was in school, and the vitriol spewn at Reagan. Its gotten a lot worse. Ask FIRE.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4380732]What does it say about modern conservatism that college is seen as democratic indoctrination?[/QUOTE]

I don't see your point. There are many articles that show a liberal bias for hiring college professors. Then those liberals teach from a liberal viewpoint.

[url]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8427-2005Mar28.html[/url]

[url]http://www.popecenter.org/commentaries/article.html?id=2302[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=quantum;4380738]"seen"? what, like its not true?

I saw it first hand in the 80s when I was in school, and the vitriol spewn at Reagan. Its gotten a lot worse. Ask FIRE.[/QUOTE]

Professors are mostly liberal. I don't dispute that.

I think it's a good case for liberalism.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

the smart conservative kids listen quietly to their liberal profs, then riducule them to their parents privately :cool:

Jets Insider VIP
    You don't have to go to college, but you should definitely do something beyond just high school.

I didn't go to college, but I went through a 4 year apprenticeship for Pipefitting/Welding and have had a secure, well paying job at Norfolk Naval Shipyard ever since.

This isn't the 50's or 60's, a high school education doesn't really get you anything in terms of a career. It simply opens up the doors for higher learning. It's up to you to decide if you want to pursue it or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Conservatives do their book learning at church where they learn such wonderful things such as: A man lived in a whale's stomach for 3 days once. And: a talking snake gave a girl an apple and that's why childbirth is painful and farming is hard work.

;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4380817]Conservatives do their book learning at church where they learn such wonderful things such as: A man lived in a whale's stomach for 3 days once. And: a talking snake gave a girl an apple and that's why childbirth is painful and farming is hard work.

;)[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I am not religious at all but I think this country can use a little faith, whatever that means.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4380817]Conservatives do their book learning at church where they learn such wonderful things such as: A man lived in a whale's stomach for 3 days once. And: a talking snake gave a girl an apple and that's why childbirth is painful and farming is hard work.

;)[/QUOTE]

wrong again, but there is nothing like consistancy :cool:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=quantum;4380724]And so tonight, I ask every American to commit to at least one year or more of higher education or career training. This can be community college or a four-year school; vocational training or an apprenticeship.

President Obama's Address to Joint Session of Congress on Tuesday, February 24th, 2009

----------

What he meant was "The Democratic Party will not survive without our loyal college indoctrinators perverting young minds. Please go to college to be assimilated. Resistance is futile. Have a nice day."[/QUOTE]

I think it should at least be mentioned that the majority of courses taught in college have nothing to do with political ideology, unless you consider that your liberal Chinese professor of chemistry is somehow surreptitiously inculcating you with Maoist principles through the periodic table... Even in the areas of history and political science, much of the work is not focused on ideological ranting, as the focus is on eras and cultures that don't translate to a commentary on a current U.S. President or value system.

In my distant days in college, there were schools that were known to have more conservative faculty vs. liberal in the political science depts largely based on which presidential cabinet/agency they came from. At Columbia, for example, there were plenty of Kennedy/Johnson/Carter cast-offs, while NYU was well known for its ties to Rebublican regimes. School of International Affairs at Columbia has always been repped as a launching pad the for the CIA, so I don't know what that would make it, but usually that tends to be more conservative than liberal...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4380827]wrong again, but there is nothing like consistancy :cool:[/QUOTE]

Gotta represent, yo

[IMG]http://www.picgifs.com/celebrities/t/tupac/celebrities-tupac-835548.gif[/IMG]

It matters what you get the degree in? Tech schools are a good choice too
    lots of money to be made in the blue collar trades. Electrical, Plumbing, Machinist. Without the thousands of dollars in student loans.