Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commissioner Roger Goodell Brings Politics to NFL

Commissioner Roger Goodell Brings Politics to NFL

[B]NFL will kick off season Wednesday, Sept. 5[/B]

[B]NEW YORK (AP)—The NFL says it will open the season Wednesday, Sept. 5, to avoid a conflict with President Barack Obama’s speech at the Democratic National Convention the following night.

The season usually begins on a Thursday night, but Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the change for this season on Tuesday.

The Super Bowl champion New York Giants will host the season-opener at MetLife Stadium against a team to be announced at a later date. Starting time is scheduled for 8:30 p.m. EST.[/B]

I'm shocked. Its not even the state of the union but a pep rally for one political party. I know Dems don't mind but should the NFL care about politics?

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgksNnMm3fncHm7BxTrnhOVDubYF?slug=ap-nfl-seasonopener[/url]

All Pro
    They care about ratings, and a scheduling conflict with a major political event could potentially have an effect in this area. I don't believe DNC vs. RNC is playing any role in this case.

[QUOTE=parafly;4379081]They care about ratings, and a scheduling conflict with a major political event could potentially have an effect in this area. I don't believe DNC vs. RNC is playing any role in this case.[/QUOTE]

They go against american Idol all the time which I believe has comparable ratings.
    Obama's speech is no big draw for a second term.

I have never heard of anything like this in sports history before.

I think he now gets more heckled at draft because of this.

There is no way he would have done this if it was suppose Romney s night...
    Last edited by cedk; 02-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=cedk;4379097]They go against american Idol all the time which I believe has comparable ratings.

There is no way he would have done this if it was suppose Romney s night...[/QUOTE]

You really think so? He wants as many viewers as possible that's all that matters to the NFL. He'd avoid the R convention too.

[QUOTE=cedk;4379097]They go against american Idol all the time which I believe has comparable ratings.

[B]I have never heard of anything like this in sports history before.[/B]

There is no way he would have done this if it was suppose Romney s night...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]The NFL Kickoff Game between the Washington Redskins and defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants that was played on September 4 started at 7:00 p.m. instead of the normal 8:30 p.m. time in order to avoid conflict with the nomination speech that John McCain gave at the Republican National Convention that night; the game ended at 10:01pm EDT, averting any conflict[/QUOTE]

----

Football is back 1 day earlier. And this is a bad thing?
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 02-28-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4379081]They care about ratings, and a scheduling conflict with a major political event could potentially have an effect in this area. I don't believe DNC vs. RNC is playing any role in this case.[/QUOTE]

No.

Obama is controlling the NFL. They bend to his will.

Soon...NFL players will not be paid in $$$. They will be paid in government benefits and cheese. That way, Obama can further break up the black family unit and secure power so that he can control the universe from his base on Omicron Perseii 4.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=cedk;4379097]They go against american Idol all the time which I believe has comparable ratings.[/QUOTE]

American Idol is on multiple times every week. The DNC Presidential nomination happens once every four years.

[QUOTE]I have never heard of anything like this in sports history before.

In 2008, the NFL moved the start time of the annual Kick Off game by 1.5 hours to accommodate the RNC.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parafly;4379140]In 2008, the NFL moved the start time of the annual Kick Off game by 1.5 hours to accommodate the RNC.[/QUOTE]

Facts hurt my thinking organ. Ouch.

Please stop listening to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh. :yes:

[QUOTE=cr726;4379152]Please stop listening to Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I posted this 12 minutes after news broke.
    Still think its bogus the convention goes on for almost a week they can change the day.
    But some good points made even without link I believe them.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Not surprising considering the house Goodell was raised in lol

(puts on flame retardant suit)

Just another reason to hate BO as you know pressure had to be applied here

[QUOTE=jetswin;4379415]Not surprising considering the house Goodell was raised in lol

Just another reason to hate BO as you know pressure had to be applied here[/QUOTE]

The NFL did the same thing for the GOP convention.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4379458]The NFL did the same thing for the GOP convention.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. That was Obama too.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4379415][B]Not surprising considering the house Goodell was raised in lol[/B]

Just another reason to hate BO as you know pressure had to be applied here[/QUOTE]

What does that refer to?

As far as moving the game I think it is much ado about nothing.

[QUOTE=Trades;4379506]What does that refer to?

As far as moving the game I think it is much ado about nothing.[/QUOTE]

Goodell is a very well respected commissioner the guy started in the mailroom. Compare him to Stern or Selig.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4379506]What does that refer to?[/QUOTE]

His dad was a fairly liberal Republican back in the day.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4379522]His dad was a fairly liberal Republican back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Ahh thx.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=cr726;4379458]The NFL did the same thing for the GOP convention.[/QUOTE]

changed days?

[QUOTE=Trades;4379506]What does that refer to?

As far as moving the game I think it is much ado about nothing.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4379522]His dad was [B]an extremely[/B] liberal Republican back in the day.[/QUOTE]

fixed :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4379563]changed days?
    [/QUOTE]

Actually...what they did in 2008 was much better. Moved kickoff time up so that the game ended right before McCain's speech and then replaced the post-game show with NBC News coverage of the speech.

Netted McCain half a million more viewers than Obama's speech the week before.

:P

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4379563]changed days?[/QUOTE]

No, but they did make a scheduling adjustment in both instances.

Maybe the NFL came to the conclusion that 8:30 PM on Wednesday (prime time, more practical for west coast viewers) is financially more beneficial than 7:00 PM on Thursday?

The wolves will jump on Obama over pretty much anything.