Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tannebaum coming on 1050 ESPN at 5:00 (2-28)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4379493]i don't think you can have it both ways. if the jets pursue manning, they've given up on sanchez. teams develop good qbs until they don't think they're good anymore, then they look for better options. the jets have concluded that sanchez, while he may get better, won't be 'the guy', can't carry the team and may not have the mental makeup to handle the ny pressure, like they thought.

rex's goodwill from his 2 afc championship appearances has expired. tanny's rep as a savvy drafter has really taken a hit with sanchez's regression and the gholston and ducasse picks.

tanny is one more bad pick away from getting canned in my opinion. it's increasingly difficult to explain away some of the moves he's made, the latest being holmes' contract and ensuing implosion. at least with rex, you know he can coach defense, though he's first starting to get involved in the offense, 3 years too late.

tanny's best strategy is to draft wisely, fill holes, add talent, with a vision of fixing the qb position next year.[/QUOTE]
    I agree. But I do think that Tanny will buy himself some time, even if he fails, due to his remarkable gift of BS combined with Woody's loyalty DNA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4379505]I agree. But I do think that Tanny will buy himself some time, even if he fails, due to his remarkable gift of BS combined with Woody's loyalty DNA.[/QUOTE]

but for tanny to buy himself time he'd need to demonstrate some recent success stories. the easist way to do that, would be through this draft. he's finally got all his picks and probably a few comps. hopefully he's learned that stopgap qb solutions can easily backfire.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Michael Kay had his head stuck so far up BeanCounters----------oh forget it. Did Kay ask one question about the horrible personal moves Tannenbaum has made over the last two years? Of course not.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4379523]Michael Kay had his head stuck so far up BeanCounters----------oh forget it. Did Kay ask one question about the horrible personal moves Tannenbaum has made over the last two years? Of course not.[/QUOTE]
    I didn't get that impression at all.

I think Kay asked some pretty pointed questions. He didn't have a 30 minute time slot to work with and he got in some good questions in the short time he had. Bart Scott, Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning, Greg McElroy, Rex Ryan, Plaxico Burress. But in usual Tanny fashion, he deflected most of the hard questions.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Tranny did do his usual routine but I am not going to knock him for what he says in interviews, I am going to knock him for what he does in terms of transactions.

I do not expect Tranny to tip his hand in the media, nor should he. All this attention paid towards the Jets needs will only drive the price up for trades or FA signings. He should smile on the outside as he has been doing.

Lets just wait and see what he actually does in the draft and FA, then we can really knock him if he effs up.

Actions speak louder than words.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4379590]I didn't get that impression at all.

I think Kay asked some pretty pointed questions. He didn't have a 30 minute time slot to work with and he got in some good questions in the short time he had. Bart Scott, Mark Sanchez, Peyton Manning, Greg McElroy, Rex Ryan, Plaxico Burress. But in usual Tanny fashion, he deflected most of the hard questions.[/QUOTE]

As per [COLOR="Red"]ROTOWORLD[/COLOR]

Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum continues to leave the door open for a run at Peyton Manning this offseason.
    Asked directly if the Jets would "kick the tires" on Manning, Tannenbaum replied, "It's really important that we always try to improve the team. ... My philosophy is you've got to be aggressive, you have to know what's going on out there, and you have to look for opportunities." Tannenbaum still "expects" Mark Sanchez to be the QB in 2012, but the organization has clearly lost quite a bit of confidence in him as the face of the franchise.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it's as extreme as Rex and Tanny scared that Sanchez is going to cost them their jobs, but I think they both know that they can outlast a QB's tenure with the team, and if Peyton or someone else can bring in more immediate success, they're going to go with it. Rex doesn't have the Belichick-like job security to play mad scientist with years of planning to work with.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4379699]I don't think it's as extreme as Rex and Tanny scared that Sanchez is going to cost them their jobs, but I think they both know that they can outlast a QB's tenure with the team, and if Peyton or someone else can bring in more immediate success, they're going to go with it. Rex doesn't have the Belichick-like job security to play mad scientist with years of planning to work with.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree that this is their approach but the question is what is their [B][SIZE="2"]"PLAN"[/SIZE][/B] for building a winner?:confused:

IMO just going for the seeming latest and hotest FA is not the way to build a SB bound team or secure long term franchise stability.

IMO for instance if the Jets were not going to build around Sanchez and realize that it may take him in excess of 4 years to bloom then [B][SIZE="3"]WHY[/SIZE][/B] trade up to get him??????:confused:

The Jets could have simply gone with what they had or even traded down but going up to get Sanchez under the current rationale that the team now finds itself in is maddness. They rotate his WR corp like the are making McDondalds burgers and the OL this last year was a disgrace. This was a plan that the Jets had in place so that their young QB could flourish?

Enough maybe we lure Peyton here and we win like 3 SB in a row and then the FO and Rex look like geniuses but somehow I don't think so. I could be wrong, but then again I have seen variations of this sitcom with the Jets for over 40 YEARS and it is not even remotely humourous anymore!!!!

So I am not holding my breath that these guys get it right simply by chance like Lotto, again IMO, you have to carefully plan your road to success and it is not clear that the Jets FO has done this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4379728]I definitely agree that this is their approach but the question is what is their [B][SIZE="2"]"PLAN"[/SIZE][/B] for building a winner?:confused:

IMO just going for the seeming latest and hotest FA is not the way to build a SB bound team or secure long term franchise stability.

IMO for instance if the Jets were not going to build around Sanchez and realize that it may take him in excess of 4 years to bloom then [B][SIZE="3"]WHY[/SIZE][/B] trade up to get him??????:confused:

The Jets could have simply gone with what they had or even traded down but going up to get Sanchez under the current rationale that the team now finds itself in is maddness. They rotate his WR corp like the are making McDondalds burgers and the OL this last year was a disgrace. This was a plan that the Jets had in place so that their young QB could flourish?

Enough maybe we lure Peyton here and we win like 3 SB in a row and then the FO and Rex look like geniuses but somehow I don't think so. I could be wrong, but then again I have seen variations of this sitcom with the Jets for over 40 YEARS and it is not even remotely humourous anymore!!!!

So I am not holding my breath that these guys get it right simply by chance like Lotto, again IMO, you have to carefully plan your road to success and it is not clear that the Jets FO has done this.[/QUOTE]

i think they turned a blind eye to qb development, perhaps b/c tanny never really developed one before. he was around when chad was drafted, but pennington was hurt too much for the jets to really commit to building around. yet, they hired an OC who was a perfect fit for him, and the offense would have been pretty good if chad had more arm strength. before chad, he saw parcells get testaverde, so tanny's seen first hand how a cast off veteran can succeed with a new team. But tanny's never drafted a qb and hand-picked an OC and qb coach who were good fits for the qb.

in tanny's first draft, the jets were in clear rebuilding mode, so they could take BAP and be applauded for it. he traded up a few times, got some nice players and got full of himself. the gholston pick was bad, sure, but keller was pretty good, not terrific, but good. but when the team started winning and getting to those championship games, the expectations get higher, you're picking at the end of each round and you really, really need to trust your scouts and draft good players. when you don't your team can go from veteran to old/slow quickly w/o a budding core of younger players who can pick up the slack (ie, no subs for scott, leonard).

tanny should embrace the drafting philosophy he did when he drafted brick and mangold, take BAP, move on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4379734]i think they turned a blind eye to qb development, perhaps b/c tanny never really developed one before. he was around when chad was drafted, but pennington was hurt too much for the jets to really commit to building around. yet, they hired an OC who was a perfect fit for him, and the offense would have been pretty good if chad had more arm strength. before chad, he saw parcells get testaverde, so tanny's seen first hand how a cast off veteran can succeed with a new team. But tanny's never drafted a qb and hand-picked an OC and qb coach who were good fits for the qb.

in tanny's first draft, the jets were in clear rebuilding mode, so they could take BAP and be applauded for it. he traded up a few times, got some nice players and got full of himself. the gholston pick was bad, sure, but keller was pretty good, not terrific, but good. but when the team started winning and getting to those championship games, the expectations get higher, you're picking at the end of each round and you really, really need to trust your scouts and draft good players. when you don't your team can go from veteran to old/slow quickly w/o a budding core of younger players who can pick up the slack (ie, no subs for scott, leonard).

tanny should embrace the drafting philosophy he did when he drafted brick and mangold, take BAP, move on.[/QUOTE]

You make EXCELLENT POINTS!!!!

I really agree with you 100% but the question becomes what does Tanny do now? I think that your logic invariably forces Tanny to go after Manning to cover-up his developmental and draft miscues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4379757]I really agree with you 100% but the question becomes what does Tanny do now? I think that your logic invariably forces Tanny to go after Manning to cover-up his developmental and draft miscues.[/QUOTE]

i think if history repeats himself he'd try to bring in manning to improve the 2012 record. but when he brought in farve, he'd only drafted clemens, so he never had much personal career currency invested in that decision.

now, however, there are far greater ramafications if he even tries to bring in manning. how do you improve a team when you don't even know if the qb you traded up for in the first round only 3 yrs ago, should start this season or even be on the roster next year? do you draft defense? should you draft a solid OL prospect and make the new OC happy? how many more years can moore play at a high level? will they have to cut ducasse this year and admit another failure?

if you draft good players and stick to your board over the years, you wind up having replacements for a lot of the vacancies that arise. the jets haven't done this and should use this draft to draft starters and depth so a few years from now, the guy they drafted in the 5th round this year to play G or S can step in when the starter leaves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the decision for Tanny will be made by itself, as Peyton is unlikely to want to come to the Jets and play in the AFC East. Right now we have no idea what Peyton's preferences are because all he's done is toe the company line and say he wants to be a Colt, but it's a hunch. If/when he chooses not to be a Jet, they can let Sanchez play out the year under the new system, and situation will be much clearer.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4379766]I think the decision for Tanny will be made by itself, as Peyton is unlikely to want to come to the Jets and play in the AFC East. Right now we have no idea what Peyton's preferences are because all he's done is toe the company line and say he wants to be a Colt, but it's a hunch. If/when he chooses not to be a Jet, they can let Sanchez play out the year under the new system, and situation will be much clearer.[/QUOTE]

Werent the Colts in the AFC East year ago. :confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically I think Rex and Tanny will get an opportunity to either draft or acquire another QB if they determine Sanchez to not be the guy.

Whether or not they wait for a clearer judgement on Sanchez I think is up to them and if they feel whether or not right now is a better time to get a QB than next year. It might be.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot understand this constant babble about Peyton Manning. He is NEVER coming to the Jets, and what's so frustrating is that there are so MANY reasons, that I in unfathomable why the Jets are ever mentioned in the Peyton saga. Here are just a few reasons.

1. The Jet will barely have the money to sign Chad Henne, let alone the kind of money Manning would command. The bottom line is that should end any Manning talk is The Jets simply do NOT have the cap room to support signing Manning to a FA contract. It makes no sense.

2. Manning is NOT going to want to play in wind open air stadium in the northeast and in a division where he would have to play an additional 2 games in cold windy northeast stadiums

3. He is NOT going to want to play in a "ground and pound" offense, when he as in the past he's been in total control of a pass first offense

4. He is NOT going to want to play in an offense with so little in the way of receiver support. You have one legit WR in Holmes, but he's a malignant diva, and an inconsistent Dallas Clark type in Keller

5. There are at least 2 better options for him, both of which have better playing conditions, more cap room, better receivers, and more pass driven systems. (Miami, AZ)

Peyton Manning is NEVER going to be a Jet. Don't waste anymore time or bandwidth on the possibility, or the lack thereof.

....and yes the Colts were in the AFCE. I think a realignment occurred in the late 90's

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4380393]I cannot understand this constant babble about Peyton Manning. He is NEVER coming to the Jets, and what's so frustrating is that there are so MANY reasons, that I in unfathomable why the Jets are ever mentioned in the Peyton saga. Here are just a few reasons.

1. The Jet will barely have the money to sign Chad Henne, let alone the kind of money Manning would command. The bottom line is that should end any Manning talk is The Jets simply do NOT have the cap room to support signing Manning to a FA contract. It makes no sense.

2. Manning is NOT going to want to play in wind open air stadium in the northeast and in a division where he would have to play an additional 2 games in cold windy northeast stadiums

3. He is NOT going to want to play in a "ground and pound" offense, when he as in the past he's been in total control of a pass first offense

4. He is NOT going to want to play in an offense with so little in the way of receiver support. You have one legit WR in Holmes, but he's a malignant diva, and an inconsistent Dallas Clark type in Keller

5. There are at least 2 better options for him, both of which have better playing conditions, more cap room, better receivers, and more pass driven systems. (Miami, AZ)

Peyton Manning is NEVER going to be a Jet. Don't waste anymore time or bandwidth on the possibility, or the lack thereof.

....and yes the Colts were in the AFCE. I think a realignment occurred in the late 90's[/QUOTE]

You're such a loser dude...

Not only should you find your way out of here, you should admit to what a clown you are for disappearing...AND for trashing JI on patsfags months after you left and promising never to return to discuss football with scum that is beneath you...

Loooooooooooser...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4380410]You're such a loser dude...

Not only should you find your way out of here, you should admit to what a clown you are for disappearing...AND for trashing JI on patsfags months after you left and promising never to return to discuss football with scum that is beneath you...

Loooooooooooser...[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, but do you have anything of interest to say about what I posted. Do you have the capacity for anything but attacking posters of offer legitimate football opinions.

I left because this board had been taken over by myopic haters who had nothing to offer except invective and bile. I came back because TRUE Jet fans had taken back their board back and your ilk had become a small minority, rejected by your own fandom.

Now unless you want to question or agree with my thoughts on Manning coming to the Jets....go back under that rock you crawled out of, and I sincerely hope for your sake you can do something about that all that anger and venom you carry around, because it can't be good for your health or your soul.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;4380460]go back under that rock you crawled out of[/QUOTE]

Oh the irony :rolleyes: