Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More on Burress's defection

More on Burress's defection

[URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/burress_eagles_nothing_else_would_F6UH9EYa3srosmxH3EbILO[/URL]

Not sure how I feel about this, he doesn't dis anyone, but there's a real "it's all about me" feeling to him. We did take a chance and he benefited, but then it is a business and we only gave him a one year deal.

Plaxico Burress says the Jets want him back, but the veteran receiver has his eyes on a team farther south on I-95.
    [URL="http://www.975thefanatic.com/teams/eagles/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10353624"]In an interview with a Philadelphia radio station[/URL], Burress made it clear he would love to play for the Eagles.
    “Nothing else would make me happier,” Burress told 97.5 The Fanatic. “Obviously, coming to Philadelphia and instituting myself to the offense it just adds a unique dynamic to what’s already in place.”
    Burress is a free agent after playing last season with the Jets, who gave him a one-year, $3.017 million deal after his release from prison. At an appearance in Indianapolis before the Super Bowl, [URL="http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/burress_likely_burning_bridge_to_AiFiPzOwiWg1E9ZCOD7lCM"]Burress was not interested in talking about the Jets struggles or defending the play of often-criticized quarterback Mark Sanchez. [/URL]
    “As far as I understand, they pretty much just left the door open for me to make a decision to come back,” Burress said. “I went up there and played just as well as I thought I would. And I did some things a lot of people didn’t think I would do. (Coach) Rex (Ryan) and (GM) Mike Tannenbaum and (owner) Woody Johnson, I have nothing but the utmost respect for them.”
    Burress did not have the same impact he did with the Giants before serving two years in jail for possession of an unlicensed handgun, but he proved to be a reliable red zone target for the Jets with eight touchdowns. He finished the season with 45 catches for 612 yards.
    “They brought me into a situation not knowing what they would get out of me and just really pushed me on an individual level to get back to being the player I can be,” he said. “Having that trust in you to go out and start 'Sunday Night Football' (Week 1 vs. Cowboys) being away for two years. I just thought to myself I had to go out and not let those guys down.”
    But he still made it clear he considers himself a better fit with the offensive weapons the Eagles possess. Burress said he talks to Eagles quarterback Michael Vick “once or twice a week” and considers himself the missing piece for an Eagles team that went a disappointing 8-8, just like the Jets.
    “You look at LeSean McCoy and what he did this year, an All-Pro year,” Burress said. “It was probably the best year at running back, him and Maurice Jones-Drew. Everybody knows what DeSean (Jackson) is capable of doing, being one of the most explosive big-play receivers in all of football. And Jeremy Maclin who is getting better and better.
    “I just see myself in that offense being out on the edge ... there’s just so many options. I always say you can neutralize speed, but you can’t neutralize size. ... It’s a unique dynamic especially with Mike at quarterback and being able to roll out and get to the edge and run the football in for touchdowns. So, we’ll see what happens.”
    Burress said he feels a connection with Vick, who is also from Virgnia and spent time in prison for his part in a dog-fighting operation.
    “Being able to play together, coming from what we’ve come from, I just think would be a special deal,” Burress said. “I really believe he can bring a championship to Philadelphia and I would love to be a part of it.”
    Burress said he was almost a part of it last year. The 34-year-old claimed there was “a lot of interest” from the Eagles and they were in the running for him with the Jets until the last day. Burress blamed his lack of production with the Jets on a lack of preparation time because of the NFL lockout, an ankle injury that limited him in training camp, and the 2-1/2 years he spent away from the game.
    “Obviously as a team we didn’t accomplish our goal, but for me personally I just wanted to get out and get my legs back under me and go out and be productive,” Burress said. “I feel I did pretty well and just trying to go out and be consistent on a week-to-week basis. I'm thinking coming into this year I’ll be a lot stronger and get back to the things I know I can do and to go to a place where I can let my skills show.”

Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/burress_eagles_nothing_else_would_F6UH9EYa3srosmxH3EbILO#ixzz1nim23LM3[/URL]

“As far as I understand, they pretty much just left the door open for me to make a decision to come back”

Yeah ok. You'd think someone who went through prison would care a little less about his public "persona" than to have to put this spin on it. If he has to "understand" it, he hasn't been contacted by the team. And pretty sure not contacting is a hint...

I wonder what his former Giants teammates have to say about this...:zzz:

Hall Of Fame
    I don't know but 45 catches for 612 yards and 8 TDs is a pretty decent year in my book. Especially for an "old" player who didn't play football for over two years.

He was also single handily responsible for the Jets being the No. 1 RZ offense in the league. They can never take that away from the 2011 Jets. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4379216]I don't know but 45 catches for 612 yards and 8 TDs is a pretty decent year in my book. Especially for an "old" player who didn't play football for over two years.

He was also single handily responsible for the Jets being the No. 1 RZ offense in the league. They can never take that away from the 2011 Jets. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Those stats are below avg for a number 2. Plus he had one 3 TD game which means 5 for the remaining 15 games. Eye test shows he looks slow. He wants to go to the Eagles because their weapons will take the pressure off him to perform.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think Iggles were the original post prison destination for Plaxico, who would have joined Reid's House of Rehab with Vick. I think it threw everyone for a loop when the Jets interfered, not the least Burress himself. He should go there along with Nnamdi AwesomeWaah who chose that team as having the best Super Bowl prospects for 2011-12 season. LOL. :P

he made some real tough catches this past year... No doubt he was a plus inside the 20yd line.. Frankly, didn't do enough in between the 20's for anyone to get excited about another year in green&white.

I don't think his tank is empty and clearly has value in redzone... Just not sure he is an ideal no.2 ro 1a WR...

tough guy to have around locker if he is not happy.

Of course its all about him. Guy is in his mid 30s and lost 2 years of his career to a prison sentence. All he cares about is cashing in one last time and having a chance at another ring. Can't really blame him.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4379216]I don't know but 45 catches for 612 yards and 8 TDs is a pretty decent year in my book. Especially for an "old" player who didn't play football for over two years.

He was also single handily responsible for the Jets being the No. 1 RZ offense in the league. They can never take that away from the 2011 Jets. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]...yeah that#1 rz offense...that and $2.25 will get you on the subway...

Bye Bye - rather have Braylon back.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4379155]“Obviously, coming to Philadelphia and [B]instituting myself to the offense[/B] [/QUOTE]

and you all thought he was dumb
    Last edited by Timmy®; 02-28-2012 at 09:48 PM.

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4379251]Bye Bye - rather have Braylon back.[/QUOTE]

The real JETS #17.......:D

[QUOTE=ASH_1962;4379251]Bye Bye - rather have Braylon back.[/QUOTE]

Jets most likely already admitted their blunder, Braylon will be back.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Timmy®;4379270]and you all thought he was dumb[/QUOTE]

Who knows what that marble mouthed mumbler actually said. Another fave Burress quote "with retrospect to that"

[QUOTE=FMJets;4379223]Those stats are below avg for a number 2. Plus he had one 3 TD game which means 5 for the remaining 15 games. Eye test shows he looks slow. He wants to go to the Eagles because their weapons will take the pressure off him to perform.[/QUOTE]

The question is did he out perform his contract? The answer is yes. And those stats are very good in relationship to how poor the jets offensive played. You give a guy 3 mill a year as a FA and what do you expect 80 rec and 1000 yards?

Why do you think Burress is afraid of pressure, why did he sign in NY twice if he was afraid of pressure? He wants to sign in philly because what they do on offensive they have a need for a player like him. The jets beat philly do him last year and he signed for the larger guarantee that the jets gave, he now regrets it.

Jets Insider VIP
    you want to leave, Plax --- see ya

welcome back Braylon

Veteran
    Sorry Plex, you're not Mark's Valentine.

[QUOTE=patman;4379369]The question is did he out perform his contract? The answer is yes. And those stats are very good in relationship to how poor the jets offensive played. You give a guy 3 mill a year as a FA and what do you expect 80 rec and 1000 yards?

Why do you think Burress is afraid of pressure, why did he sign in NY twice if he was afraid of pressure? He wants to sign in philly because what they do on offensive they have a need for a player like him. The jets beat philly do him last year and he signed for the larger guarantee that the jets gave, he now regrets it.[/QUOTE]

I would think 60 and 800 would be outperforming his contract or exceeding expectations. He was one of the reasons the Jets offense played so poor.

[QUOTE=sg3;4379373]you want to leave, Plax --- see ya

welcome back Braylon[/QUOTE]

This. :yes:

[QUOTE=FMJets;4379441]I would think 60 and 800 would be outperforming his contract or exceeding expectations. He was one of the reasons the Jets offense played so poor.[/QUOTE]

What didn't he do that you expected him to do? Were you expecting randy moss of 2007? or Burress of 2007?