Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Revis' next contract increase or decrease...

Will Revis' next contract increase or decrease...

In other words, will it surpass his current contract since the market will no longer support such a contract for a corner...

Please explain why you think it will... Because I'm truly tired of reading it and would like it put to bed...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't even think Revis will be on the team 2 years from now.

His asking price is going to go even further through the roof with all of these QB's throwing for 5,000 yards now.

I honestly wouldn't be against dangling him in a trade to move up for Griffin or Luck.

No way do you trade your best defensive player and the best CB in the NFL for an unproven QB.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4379280]I don't even think Revis will be on the team 2 years from now.

His asking price is going to go even further through the roof with all of these QB's throwing for 5,000 yards now.
    [/QUOTE]

So your theory is that a shutdown corners market is set by QB play... So next year, if QB's numbers dip down, Revis' contract must also drop...

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4379281]No way do you trade your best defensive player and the best CB in the NFL for an unproven QB.[/QUOTE]

Stay on topic or get out of my thread...

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4379280]

I honestly wouldn't be against dangling him in a trade to move up for Griffin or Luck.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4379283]
    Stay on topic or get out of my thread...[/QUOTE]

Sorry I was just replying to the prior post in the thread.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4379285]Sorry I was just replying to the prior post in the thread.[/QUOTE]

Ignore it, like I did and reply to the portion that had substance...

So I'll play nice...

Revis' contract... Does it increase or decrease when its up and why?

His price will likely be about the same. Much like Baily. Even if his play declines a bit they will likely lock him up till he is at least 32-33.

[QUOTE=Dreamers;4379287]His price will likely be about the same. Much like Baily. Even if his play declines a bit they will likely lock him up till he is at least 32-33.[/QUOTE]

Sensible post. Is he worth paying an exorbitant amount of money to in the form of a bonus upfront and possibly having to deal with a holdout so he can squeeze one more contract out of somebody?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4379281]No way do you trade your best defensive player and the best CB in the NFL for an unproven QB.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

When the hell has a CB ever been the main catalyst of a championship team?

If you don't have a great QB, then you aren't competing for Superbowls year in and year out. Fact.

And like I said, there's a damn good chance that Revis isn't even on our roster two years from now. You thought we paid out the ass for his last contract, wait until you see what he's going to be asking for soon.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4379289]You thought we paid out the ass for his last contract, wait until you see what he's going to be asking for soon.[/QUOTE]

You should start a 'Why we should trade Revis' thread...

With that out of the way, your logic is flawed...

The market is no longer set for him to demand that value... All contracts must have a baseline... A player cannot simply set his own, only Al Davis could do that...

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4379289]:rolleyes:

When the hell has a CB ever been the main catalyst of a championship team?

If you don't have a great QB, then you aren't competing for Superbowls year in and year out. Fact.

And like I said, there's a damn good chance that Revis isn't even on our roster two years from now. You thought we paid out the ass for his last contract, wait until you see what he's going to be asking for soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm on board with you here UT.

Not only is CB not a central position to the unit, Revis is not a leader on the team. He is a chill dude that does his own thing, and a bit of a priss when it comes to contracts.

He may be a once in a lifetime player, but he doesn't make everyone else around him better, nor is his position essential to winning a Superbowl. All of that should be factored into his value. And I haven't even touched upon the whole "2 more years, tops" thing.

And all of that should be EXPLOITED via trade if another team does not realize the above points and is willing to go bonkers for him.

He's not going anywhere. They're going to give him whatever he wants. As he should get whatever he wants.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Put on your flame suits. Revis has many worshipers here.

Nice to see I am not the only one who worships the laundry first.

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4379280]I don't even think Revis will be on the team 2 years from now.

I honestly wouldn't be against dangling him in a trade to move up for Griffin or Luck.[/QUOTE]

Franchise QB's are the rarest thing in sports. I agree with this post, especially if its luck.

With the new Draft slotting, Luck is going to be significantly cheaper then Revis for many years.

[QUOTE=KR;4379310]Franchise QB's are the rarest thing in sports. I agree with this post, especially if its luck.

With the new Draft slotting, Luck is going to be significantly cheaper then Revis for many years.[/QUOTE]

i agree....I'm just still not sure Sanchez isn't a franchise QB...it's too soon to tell and IMO there is no reason to trade revis and bail on Sanchez for another unproven.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4379290]You should start a 'Why we should trade Revis' thread...

With that out of the way, your logic is flawed...

The market is no longer set for him to demand that value... All contracts must have a baseline... A player cannot simply set his own, only Al Davis could do that...[/QUOTE]

If Revis is the best cornerback in the NFL, isn't [I]he[/I] the one setting the baseline for that position? As long as he maintains his level of play, I can't imagine him not wanting a bigger contract. How much more, who knows.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4379278]In other words, will it surpass his current contract since the market will no longer support such a contract for a corner...

Please explain why you think it will... Because I'm truly tired of reading it and would like it put to bed...[/QUOTE]

To answer your question, Revis is going to be asking for Franchise QB money, and because of his last contract holdout--He has all the leverage. There is a very real chance he is not on the team in a few years.

It is going to go way up. His contract ends when the salary cap makes a huge jump up too.

What are the chances Revis is not a Jet in 2 years, and I mean via free agency?

This is relevant to AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite's question, meaning can we afford him in 2 years?

Something else to consider about Revis in 2 years:

It's not just price.

If the Jets fail to become a contender again, Revis is going to start realizing his own football mortality and want to win a championship. He'll give us no hometown discount (we know that now) but there's a good chance we would have to [I]drastically overpay[/I] to keep him.

If Sanchez doesn't evolve into a good quarterback, I don't see why Revis would want to stay. It's almost 100% he'll be gone in 2 years if that's the case.

And ironically, the best way to acquire a good quarterback (via RG3 or other) is to trade Revis himself.

A fascinating circular equation. But the outcomes are clear....if he stays, and we are mediocre, and he walks, we get nothing.

If we strike while the iron is hot, we may lose two years of great CB play, but we stand to gain a LOT more in return, over a longer period of time.

Revis isn't worth the money. The Giants and the Pats don't have great CBs and they went to the SB having 20% of your salary cap tied up in Revis and cromartie makes no sense A CB is only good as the pass rush. Fans on this board let their love for a player overpower common sense. Best thing the jets could do is trade Revis for multiple picks and rebuild this team so we can compete for a title. Instead we will watch another year of Revise and no title so fan can go gaga over a self absorb me guy.