Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Revis' next contract increase or decrease...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=EM31;4379672]
    What team is seriously going to lock in 15% of their ENTIRE salary cap into one single player? What team is going to be that stupid?[/QUOTE]

I can think of one. :steamin::steamin:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EM31;4379672]What team is seriously going to lock in 15% of their ENTIRE salary cap into one single player? What team is going to be that stupid?[/QUOTE]

Us apparently.

Hall Of Fame
    Basketball has a much better system where there is a maximum amount that any player can get paid. Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Labron James, whoever. There is no talk of disrespect and there are not really any holdouts either. Nobody is complaining becasue in truth the maximum salary is not disrepectful in any way towards the players who get there.

It is a king's ransom.

Under such a system Darrelle Revis would get the maximum, there would be no fuss and everyone could get on with planning around that reality.

Teams who are lucky enough to have more than one such player can go over the team cap in some degree in order to retain their own guys.

Veteran
    revis is looking to get paid every dime he can get. can't say I blame him but where else is he gonna wt that money from. I say we franchise him and let the guy sit out the season if he wants. footnall players life span is only so much.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4379763]revis is looking to get paid every dime he can get. can't say I blame him but where else is he gonna wt that money from. I say we franchise him and let the guy sit out the season if he wants. footnall players life span is only so much.[/QUOTE]
    That ship has sailed with his last contract. We could have done that last time but not any longer because we negotiated away the right to franchise him as part of the last cave in... er deal.

In any event the franchise tag is really not attractive because of the [I][B][COLOR=red]"...or 120% of his last year's salary, whichever is greater"[/COLOR][/B][/I] clause. If a Player is aleady at the top of his position in terms of salary (as Revis is) then franchising him is not just paying him the average of the top 5 players... It is paying him 120% of his last year's salary... So $10 million per year becomes $12 million in franchise year 1, $14.2 million is franchise year 2 and $17 million in franchise year 3.... This is true even if the average of the top-5 CBs is still in the $11 million range.

Hall Of Fame
    Once again for those who do not study history, Tannenbaum got punked and rightly so on the initial contract for Darelle Revis. We tried to sign him to six years like a top-5 guy but only offered to pay him at a rate that was consistent with his #14 draft position. In the end we basically paid him $10 - $15 million more on his first deal than we needed to pay him to get him under contract. (Oh and as an added bonus he missed all of TC and took a few weeks to become effective)

[B]Strike-1 for Tanenbaum.[/B]

Then Revis holds out after two years making the first deal look even worse for Mike Tanenbaum. Forget a six year deal, we barely got two years considering the late start in year 1.

[B]Strike-2 for Tannenbaum[/B]

Ok so then when we had him under contract. Fair enough and a contract which he had admittedly outplayed even though it was massivley bigger than it needed to be... Well then once he decided to hold out, that was the time that we needed to stick to our guns as all other franchises need to do whenever a star player tries to shoot their way out of town. All of them make noises to the effect that they are willing to stay out forever and yet 99.99% of these players eventually come running back with their tails between their legs. BECAUSE THEY HAVE ZERO other places to go.

But nooooo..... not us.

Rather than do that we caved in and made a deal that frankly assumed a certain team salary cap inflation under the new CBA. An assumption which DID NOT happen and was flat out wrong...

[B]Strike-3 for Tannenbaum[/B]

... This was a deal which made Revis the highest paid CB in the league even though he had not legitimately reached free agent number of years when a player with the right resume can ask to be made the highest paid...

[B]Strike 4 for Tannebaum[/B]

... But finally a deal which gave Revis the freedom from being franchised by the Jets when he finally does reach the Free Agent years of his career legitimately.

[B]Strike 5 for Tananbaum[/B]

Oh, and if all of that was not enough, as an added bonus Revis got injured his first game (can anyone say missed training camp?) and was basically inffective or on the bench for the first four games of the season. Well you way... He was back at the end when the playoffs took place. Ummmm.... We missed the playoffs by a game or two and the last time I check a win in gems 1-4 counts just as much as a win in gems 13-16 so i really don't want to hear how that holdout and injury had no impact.... bullsh1t to that.

[B]Strike 6 for Tananbaum[/B]

Let's add to this whole mess the idea that caving into this deal set a precedent that the Jets do indeed renegotiate with players who are currently under contract. Thereby putting added pressure on the team every time it sits down to work a new deal with any player or when it refuses to sit down with a player becasue that player is currently under contract. We aint a virgin any more in this regard and there will be no use pretending we are.

[B]Strike 7 for Tananbaum[/B]

But yet Tanny is a genius. Go figure.
    Last edited by EM31; 02-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4379305]LOL.

Put on your flame suits. Revis has many worshipers here.

Nice to see I am not the only one who worships the laundry first.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you guys on this. The Pats & Giants had scrubs & newbies running around in the secondary in the SUPERBOWL! WHAT?

This is the new age NFL baby. Can't touch anyone.
    look what BB did to counteract the Revis effect. 2 big fast TEs & Welker ripping it up in the slot. If you force Revis to play in the slot it cuts his effectiveness.
    If he's hell bent on getting another HUGE HOLDOUT type contract in 2 years your better off trading him now.
    I don't care what draft picks other teams are offering if the Jets dangle Revis, there listening.

Veteran
    why not wait after this year.. see what happens. plus trading revis is basically throwing towel in and saying we fugged up. we probably will be a late teens pick again. let's use revis an our first to get back a top pick and 2 2nds next season.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetster;4379885]I'm with you guys on this. The Pats & Giants had scrubs & newbies running around in the secondary in the SUPERBOWL! WHAT?

This is the new age NFL baby. Can't touch anyone.
    look what BB did to counteract the Revis effect. 2 big fast TEs & Welker ripping it up in the slot. If you force Revis to play in the slot it cuts his effectiveness.
    If he's hell bent on getting another HUGE HOLDOUT type contract in 2 years your better off trading him now.
    I don't care what draft picks other teams are offering if the Jets dangle Revis, there listening.[/QUOTE]

and if jets make afc championship game next season, are you still willing to trade away the one of the greatest CB's ever just cuz he makes a ton of money. gotta take it in perspective, everyone is on the ledge after this season. b

[QUOTE=EM31;4379769]That ship has sailed with his last contract. We could have done that last time but not any longer because we negotiated away the right to franchise him as part of the last cave in... er deal.

In any event the franchise tag is really not attractive because of the [I][B][COLOR=red]"...or 120% of his last year's salary, whichever is greater"[/COLOR][/B][/I] clause. If a Player is aleady at the top of his position in terms of salary (as Revis is) then franchising him is not just paying him the average of the top 5 players... It is paying him 120% of his last year's salary... So $10 million per year becomes $12 million in franchise year 1, $14.2 million is franchise year 2 and $17 million in franchise year 3.... This is true even if the average of the top-5 CBs is still in the $11 million range.[/QUOTE]

1) I think there's wording in his contract that voids it after four years with no holdout and he can't be franchised...

2) Even if he were franchised, the section you highlighted wouldn't benefit Revis... In his fourth year, he'll make $6 million or some ****...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4379994]1) I think there's wording in his contract that voids it after four years with no holdout and he can't be franchised...

2) Even if he were franchised, the section you highlighted wouldn't benefit Revis... In his fourth year, he'll make $6 million or some ****...[/QUOTE]
    I agree and my recollection was that we no longer have that option with #24 period.

Even if we did and his 4th year was at a lower six million number then the franchise would not be 120% of 6 million, it is the average of the top 3 at the position in the previous year OR 120% of his previous salary whichever is higher.

The 120% is like a poisoned pill runaway train designed to prevent year over year franchising.
    Last edited by EM31; 02-29-2012 at 04:18 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=EM31;4379672]Prospective buyers are unlikely to send us a kings ransom in picks or players if they know that they will also have to give Revis a king's ransom contract money.

What team is seriously going to lock in 15% of their ENTIRE salary cap into one single player? What team is going to be that stupid?[/QUOTE]

No clue but I would assume a team that has trouble with tix sales

Its a no-brainer, you do not trade the best CB of all time.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Silva;4380263]Its a no-brainer, you do not trade the best CB of all time.[/QUOTE]
    What price is too much?

[QUOTE=EM31;4380413]What price is too much?[/QUOTE]

Any contract less than 5 years and more than 12.5 million avg over the duration.

No offense personally, I love you guys, but you "no trade" people are so dense.

What good is a CB who cripples his team financially, who is not even a leader and doesn't make his team better, AND who will only be around for the next two years?

You wouldn't trade that for a 50% shot at an elite QB? You've got to be kidding. The NY Giants won the super bowl with garbage at CB this year. Champ Bailey has won garbage in his career. Deion Sanders only won because of Aikman.

[U]You need a QB, not a CB[/U]. I don't care if it's megatron, jumbotron, or voltron playing CB. [U]You need a QB[/U].

This team has no other way to get an elite QB prospect other than to trade our aging and soon-to-be overpriced Revis. You sentimentalists are terrible at basic logic.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Pavilion;4380071]No clue but I would assume a team that has trouble with tix sales[/QUOTE]

Come on, CB's don't put people in the seats.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380510]Come on, CB's don't put people in the seats.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I can just see fans saying the biggest thrill I have is watching a player not catching a pass because Revis was on him.. The old saying was Offense puts fans in the seats but defense wins championships.. I always got a kick out of Bit when he used to post the Jets can't win a bowl without Revis..Apparently other teams can..:eek:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4380515]Yeah I can just see fans saying the biggest thrill I have is watching a player not catching a pass because Revis was on him.. The old saying was Offense puts fans in the seats but defense wins championships.. I always got a kick out of Bit when he used to post the Jets can't win a bowl without Revis..Apparently other teams can..:eek:[/QUOTE]
    Well Bit was also of the position that it was a stone cold lock that the salary cap would be increasing by leaps and bounds under the new CBA **gong**

That Gholston would be a monster **gong**

That D-Rob was a monster **gong**

Serously I think that a bonafide vegas gambler could make enough to retire simply on a strategy of betting against whatever it is that Bit is in favor of.

Banned
    [QUOTE=EM31;4380517]Well Bit was also of the position that it was a stone cold lock that the salary cap would be increasing by leaps and bounds under the new CBA **gong**

That Gholston would be a monster **gong**

That D-Rob was a monster **gong**

Serously I think that a bonafide vegas gambler could make enough to retire simply on a strategy of betting against whatever it is that Bit is in favor of.[/QUOTE]

In bit's defense, his pre-draft analysis of college players is pretty good.

It seems when players become Jets, he loses all his objectivity.