Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: carpel tunnel surgery

carpel tunnel surgery

Hey, im just wondering if anyone has ever gotten carpel tunnel surgery? I have read about it on the internet and have gotten mixed information.... some good some bad. About myself, when i got out of high school i got a job at a factory doing repetitive work. This is when i first started having problems. Now i have been working in the hvac field for the last few years. The problems are not as bad as they were when i worked at the factory but they seem to be getting worse again... if you have had the surgery Im just wondering how it worked for you... success of the surgery, type of work you do, recovery time, or any other recommendations would be great thanks

Take it easy on the fapping.

In all seriousness good luck with everything. CT can be very painful.

[QUOTE=jessdrone;4379292]Hey, im just wondering if anyone has ever gotten carpel tunnel surgery? I have read about it on the internet and have gotten mixed information.... some good some bad. About myself, when i got out of high school i got a job at a factory doing repetitive work. This is when i first started having problems. Now i have been working in the hvac field for the last few years. The problems are not as bad as they were when i worked at the factory but they seem to be getting worse again... if you have had the surgery Im just wondering how it worked for you... success of the surgery, type of work you do, recovery time, or any other recommendations would be great thanks[/QUOTE]

I was talking to the surgeon who did my arm about this today.

he says most of theses can be done quickly, and simply, and you can be back to using your hand the next day,

They have come along way in the past few years.

definitely look into it if you are in pain

Hall Of Fame
    Getting it done sooner is better than later. CT is debilitating. I know people who have had the surgery and they are all doing better.

Hope it all works out for you and you have a speedy recovery.

All Pro
    What is carpel tunnel surgery exactly? What is operated on and how is the operation expected to fix the problem when it's a certain repetitive motion that causes it?

[QUOTE=BushyTheBeaver;4379315]What is carpel tunnel surgery exactly? What is operated on and how is the operation expected to fix the problem when it's a certain repetitive motion that causes it?[/QUOTE]

simply put....The surgery removes the part of the tunnel that is causing this friction.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=jessdrone;4379292]Hey, im just wondering if anyone has ever gotten carpel tunnel surgery? I have read about it on the internet and have gotten mixed information.... some good some bad. About myself, when i got out of high school i got a job at a factory doing repetitive work. This is when i first started having problems. Now i have been working in the hvac field for the last few years. The problems are not as bad as they were when i worked at the factory but they seem to be getting worse again... if you have had the surgery Im just wondering how it worked for you... success of the surgery, type of work you do, recovery time, or any other recommendations would be great thanks[/QUOTE]

Had it done by a good Surgeon in Nassau County.

It worked.

Longer you let it go, the more damage to the median nerve because of the pressure.

They basically slice your palm open, so basically clock your recovery time on the type of work you do and the amount of rehab you can do.

3 years later, the scar is invisible and I can do pretty much anything I need to.

Have you had the EMG done? It should tell you how far the damage has gone.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4379311]you can be back to using your hand the next day,

[/QUOTE]

:eek:

Really?

Not quite.

:D

[QUOTE=32green;4379323]:eek:

Really?

Not quite.

:D[/QUOTE]

Are you questioning my Internet medical expertise? :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4379326]Are you questioning my Internet medical expertise? :yes:[/QUOTE]

I dunno...perhaps I'm suggesting that if you havent had it done...a conversation with the guy that didnt do the surgery you didnt have..might not be enough to rise to the level of "usable information" for an understandably apprehensive candidate for this type of procedure.

Am I wrong?

:dunno:

-

Veteran
    My step-father had it done and it worked out great.

One thing - thyroid disorders can be associated with carpal tunnel - so you might want to at least check that before you plump for surgery.

Good luck, bro. My friend has severe arthritis and developed carpel tunnel and had the surgery done. He is always in a lot of pain, especially when the weather changes (I don't know how that affects it, he just claims it does).

Hope you make the right choice, and hope it turns out for the better either way.

[QUOTE=32green;4379330]I dunno...perhaps I'm suggesting that if you havent had it done...a conversation with the guy that didnt do the surgery you didnt have..might not be enough to rise to the level of "usable information" for an understandably apprehensive candidate for this type of procedure.

Am I wrong?

:dunno:

-[/QUOTE]

Yes you are wrong,

I believe my post to be as valid as yours,

I merely passed along information I recieved from one of the top surgeons in the field. I guess he could have lied to me, although I.m not sure why,

The readers can decide if that is important information to consider. Or they can balance that with you experiences.

I apologize if posting some information on the topic offended you. I thought my information was relevant and could help the original poster.

I totally understand if you go back and delete my posts. Cuz they offer a different opinion than yours and you.re the smartest guy in th whole world.

I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=adpz;4379335]One thing - thyroid disorders can be associated with carpal tunnel - so you might want to at least check that before you plump for surgery.[/QUOTE]

It says he's a pipefitter in his status. Safe to say it's the regular carpal tunnel :P:D

I like this article:

[QUOTE][url]http://www.ehow.com/how_4491_avoid-carpal-tunnel.html[/url]

[B][SIZE="5"]How to Avoid Carpal Tunnel Syndrome[/SIZE][/B]

1.) Set up your work space with adjustable screens, keyboards and work surfaces to eliminate extra strain to the wrists and hands. Position your keyboard so that it is at elbow level. Your forearms, wrists and hands should be in a straight line parallel to the floor as you type.

2.) Use a wrist pad with your keyboard. A wrist pad is a cushioned support that rests under your wrists, runs the length of your keyboard and takes the stress off your wrists by raising them to the level of the keyboard.

3.) Exercise before and after work. Try the following: Stand and extend both arms out from your chest with palms facing out and fingers pointing up. Hold for a count of five. Straighten your wrists and relax fingers, then make a tight fist with each hand. Bend your wrists down and count to five. Repeat these stretches ten times for each session.

4.) Take short breaks every hour at work. During your break, stand up, breathe in slowly and deeply, allow your arms to hang loosely, and shake for a couple of seconds. This will prevent buildup of muscle tension.

5.) Sit up straight in your chair while working, and remember to tap keys lightly as you type.

6.) Break up repetitive types of work with other duties throughout the day so your hands and eyes get a break.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Everyone works at a computer. There are no other jobs out there. :rolleyes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=FF2;4379454]Yes you are wrong,

I believe my post to be as valid as yours,

I merely passed along information I recieved from one of the top surgeons in the field. I guess he could have lied to me, although I.m not sure why,

The readers can decide if that is important information to consider. Or they can balance that with you experiences.

I apologize if posting some information on the topic offended you. I thought my information was relevant and could help the original poster.

I totally understand if you go back and delete my posts. Cuz they offer a different opinion than yours and you.re the smartest guy in th whole world.

I[/QUOTE]

Lmao....wtf is the matter with you?

:D

[QUOTE=32green;4380041]Lmao....wtf is the matter with you?

:D[/QUOTE]

Geesh, I been waitin' all day for you to find that.:D

deek. :alien:

All Pro
    I had Tarsal Tunnel release surgery about a year ago on my Ankle. My doctor told me it's almost same thing as carpel, except It's the nerve in the ankle shooting into your toes instead of your fingers. Surgery was a piece of cake, in and out the same day. You won't know if It's successful or not until they do a repeat EMG about six moths later. Had to wear a foot boot for about 2 weeks, and then PT 2x a week.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

[QUOTE=2009fatman;4380077]I had Tarsal Tunnel release surgery about a year ago on my Ankle. My doctor told me it's almost same thing as carpel, except It's the nerve in the ankle shooting into your toes instead of your fingers. Surgery was a piece of cake, in and out the same day. You won't know if It's successful or not until they do a repeat EMG about six moths later. Had to wear a foot boot for about 2 weeks, and then PT 2x a week.[/QUOTE]

I understand that you can use your foot, like...the next day.

-

[QUOTE=32green;4380087]I understand that you can use your foot, like...the next day.

-[/QUOTE]

Just white guys. I heard.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=32green;4380087]I understand that you can use your foot, like...the next day.

-[/QUOTE]

The next day? don't know about that. I had to use a cane with the boot walking around outside. I had major swelling, when I tried just walking around my house the next day. He did have to repair a ligament as well, but my doctor was more worried about the nerve, and scar tissue forming around it.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 02-29-2012 at 05:00 PM.