Thread: USA defeats Italy!

Practice Squad

USA defeats Italy!

1-0 win on Italian soil nonetheless!

Dempsey only the 4th American to score against Italy.

And this is the first time in 82 years that the US has ever beaten Italy.

Practice Squad
    Some other results

Netherlands 3-2 over England in an entertaining affair.

France with a 2-1 win over Germany in Germany. Impressive win against a young talented team such as the Germans.

Argentina not suprisingly beat Switzerland 3-1. Messi with a hat trick which is good news for Argentina because he has struggled at times when playing for the national team.

Spain is currently putting the beatdown on Venezuala with a score of 4-0

http://www.goal.com/en-us/match/7711...-vs-usa/report

Italy 0-1 USA: Clint Dempsey goal gives Jurgen Klinsmann's men famous away win
    Clint Dempsey netted a second-half winner as the United States scored a huge road win in Genoa.

By Seth Vertelney

A 55th minute strike from Clint Dempsey gave the United States a massive 1-0 friendly win against Italy in Genoa.

The win is the fourth straight for Jurgen Klinsmann's side and undoubtedly the biggest during the German's time as head coach.

The first half was a cagey affair, with both teams seeing a fair amount of the ball. The Italians attempted to breach the U.S. defense with long balls over the top, while the U.S. attempted to attack from the flanks, utilizing the space Italy conceded out wide.

U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard was called into action early, making a big save on Thiago Motta from close range just five minutes in.

The U.S. struck back with some nice passing moves, and Brek Shea will feel he should have done better on 10 minutes after dragging a shot wide from the top of the box.

The Italians attempted to exploit the U.S. defense by launching balls over the top, and almost found success in the 19th minute when Sebastian Giovinco's close shot was held by Howard.

Ten minutes from halftime, Jozy Altidore won a free kick in a dangerous spot. Dempsey stepped up and hit it well, but it was right at Buffon, who punched clear.

Italy continued to break through the U.S. back line at the beginning of the second half, but found itself just offside on three occasions straight away.

Against the run of play, the U.S. found the breakthrough in the 55th minute. Fabian Johnson curled in a cross from the left flank and Altidore took it down and laid off well for Dempsey, who fired low and across his body in the far corner, giving Gigi Buffon no shot.

Italy struck back and substitute Fabio Borini had a shot at the top of the box a few minutes later, but it was straight into the grateful arms of Howard.

With just 13 minutes to play, Italy had two great chances to equalize. First, Carlos Bocanegra cut out a cross from Abate that went just over the net for a corner kick, then Jonathan Spector made a huge block to deny Borini off the ensuing corner.

The home side increasingly attacked during a frantic final 10 minutes, with the U.S. dropping back in a defensive shell. Spector, Bocanegra and Clarence Goodson all provided huge defensive efforts in the dying moments to secure the win for the U.S.
    Anxious to see the replay. Friendly or no friendly. US played D? Whuaa?!?!

Somebody get Klinsy a voice coach. Needs to bring it down 3 octaves. Sounds a little too much like Elmo...or Hedwig from the Angry Inch.

Klinsanity continues. Great win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Klinsanity continues. Great win.
    +1 and even more so playing without Donovan.

The story I keep hearing (I didn't watch the game) is that Michael Bradley was great in the game.

From what I hear, he is the man at Chievo, while he doesn't score, he seems to be the guy that anchors the team from the DM position, though he can go forward.

The guy was unfairly **** on for years because his father was coach (and probably played him a little too often) but he's a guy who's started in Holland, Germany, and now Italy, and he's only 24 years old. While he'll probably never be a flashy goal scorer like Donovan or Dempsey. I'd say, barring injury, he'll end up among the great field players to play in Europe.

At the age of 24, Bradley has already had 150 league European games played, I believe that is more than any active American field player other than Carlos Bocanegra (Age 32, 236 Top Flight League Games), Steve Cherundolo (Age 33, 269 Top Flight League Games), and Clint Dempsey (Age 29, 172 Top Flight League Games), though there could be other field players I'm missing (Not including goalies, though I know that Tim Howard and Brad Friedel have played in more games)

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years Bradley was playing for a CL level team in Italy or somewhere else.

Veteran
    The most important thing IMO is that Klinsmann has, seemingly, put an end to the early goal concessions. Under Bradley, the Yanks would always fall behind within the first 10 minutes. That is inexcusable, and 100% on the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadFan View Post
    The most important thing IMO is that Klinsmann has, seemingly, put an end to the early goal concessions. Under Bradley, the Yanks would always fall behind within the first 10 minutes. That is inexcusable, and 100% on the coach.
    Well... Italy certainly had good chances in the first 10 minutes. Just happened to shoot it right at Howard.

I am excited to see what the team can do with Donovan back, and Holdon, too. But I don't exactly know where he'd go into the MF.

As an added bonus, the U23 team beat Mexico's U23 team last night
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 03-01-2012 at 09:46 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    The story I keep hearing (I didn't watch the game) is that Michael Bradley was great in the game.

From what I hear, he is the man at Chievo, while he doesn't score, he seems to be the guy that anchors the team from the DM position, though he can go forward.

The guy was unfairly **** on for years because his father was coach (and probably played him a little too often) but he's a guy who's started in Holland, Germany, and now Italy, and he's only 24 years old. While he'll probably never be a flashy goal scorer like Donovan or Dempsey. I'd say, barring injury, he'll end up among the great field players to play in Europe.

At the age of 24, Bradley has already had 150 league European games played, I believe that is more than any active American field player other than Carlos Bocanegra (Age 32, 236 Top Flight League Games), Steve Cherundolo (Age 33, 269 Top Flight League Games), and Clint Dempsey (Age 29, 172 Top Flight League Games), though there could be other field players I'm missing (Not including goalies, though I know that Tim Howard and Brad Friedel have played in more games)

I wouldn't be surprised if in 2 years Bradley was playing for a CL level team in Italy or somewhere else.
    Aside from Dempseys current form, hes been the most consistent. His composure on the ball is great and needed when you field a team like they did yesterday. Probably his best USMNT match. I know Slovenia was his biggest moment but they were all so sloppy/nervous that game. He was tremendous yesterday. He could def play Champions league.

Hes their best central mid fielder by far and needs to be on the field in any sort of big match.