Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tyvon Branch

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Tyvon Branch

I'm thinking Branch should be our top priority come free agency. However, I'll admit that I don't know much about him as a pro other than what I've read online. I remember him at UCONN where he played CB. Raiders switched him to SS as a rookie and he's been a starter ever since.

If speed on defense is a major priority for the Jets this off-season, than Branch is our guy. He's a former track star and ran a 4.31 at the combine.

Discuss.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know anything about him..

Here is a pre-draft scouting report

[url]http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/tyvon-branch?id=1681[/url]

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure tackler, Speedy guy, but not a ball-hawking safety. If we cant get a ball hawking one i would not mind if the Jets bring him

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    PFF has him as their #1 safety in FA.

[url]https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/02/24/ranking-the-2012-free-agents-safeties/[/url]

[QUOTE=PFF]1) Tyvon Branch, Oakland Raiders

Age (as of September 1st, 2012): 25

2011 Grade: +1.7

Key Stat: Branch had the sixth most stops for safeties (32).

Behind the numbers: For the last three years, Branch has been starting at safety for Oakland and has seen his play evolve. He emerged as the highest-rated safety in terms of run defense in the league this past year thanks to positive run D ratings in each of the last 10 games of the season. In 2010, his coverage skills were a liability, but all of his metrics improved in 2011. Given his combination of youth, three years of starting experience, and potential, he was clearly the best choice to top this list. His pass rush rating greatly hurt his overall rating in 2011, but he led safeties in that department the year before.[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks, I rather sign someone that can make plays and cover.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    S has to be the biggest "crapshoot" position to forecast... so why not Branch? he's got just as good of a chance to be good as anyone in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    S in general should be the top FA priority.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love Branch, but he's probably getting franchised by Oakland.

I can go with a package of Decoud from Atlanta and Iloka in the draft.

And bring Pool or some other vet (Chris Hope?) on the cheap in for some depth with Smith.

All these guys would give great cover safeties along with big hitters.

I'm not sure if Leonhard will be available anytime soon, but you know he'll be given a look if he shows he's healthy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4380305]S in general should be the top FA priority.[/QUOTE]

Agreed this crop of safeties for the draft is underwhelming in terms of depth and high end quality. Outside of Barron there aren't many even borderline blue chip players. We need to find at least one safety in FA, two would be awesome.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;4380306]I'd love Branch, but he's probably getting franchised by Oakland. [/QUOTE]Not sure they're in a position to franchise anyone. Even with the carryover from last year, they're still $20m over the projected $122m cap number.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4380303]S has to be the biggest "crapshoot" position to forecast... so why not Branch? he's got just as good of a chance to be good as anyone in the draft.[/QUOTE]

I rather sign Michael Griffin, because hes a bigger playmaker vs the pass.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;4380306][B]I'd love Branch, but he's probably getting franchised by Oakland. [/B]

I can go with a package of Decoud from Atlanta and Iloka in the draft.

And bring Pool or some other vet (Chris Hope?) on the cheap in for some depth with Smith.

All these guys would give great cover safeties along with big hitters.

I'm not sure if Leonhard will be available anytime soon, but you know he'll be given a look if he shows he's healthy.[/QUOTE]

raiders are 22 million over the cap theres very little chance he resigns with them

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=daCHAMPisHERE;4380272]I'm thinking Branch should be our top priority come free agency. However, I'll admit that I don't know much about him as a pro other than what I've read online. I remember him at UCONN where he played CB. Raiders switched him to SS as a rookie and he's been a starter ever since.

If speed on defense is a major priority for the Jets this off-season, than Branch is our guy. He's a former track star and ran a 4.31 at the combine.

Discuss.[/QUOTE]

Jmo There are three guys that Raiders must bring back , Fouth one satele will be back. 1 Tyvon Branch( he will sign a longterm deal with Raiders. 2. Marcel Reece- RFA and3 Desmond Bryant- RFA. 4 Samson satele C who knows the new blocking scheme very well.

Here what Carson Palmer said ON R Gannon and Adam shein show Palmer said he has spoken with Tyvon Branch and that he (Branch) is excited about the new defense. I think they get a long term deal done before freeagency starts.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-29-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4380387]Jmo There are three guys that Raiders must bring back , Fouth one satele will be back. 1 Tyvon Branch( he will sign a longterm deal with Raiders. 2. Marcel Reece- RFA and3 Desmond Bryant- RFA. 4 Samson satele C who knows the new blocking scheme very well.

Here what Carson Palmer said ON R Gannon and Adam shein show Palmer said he has spoken with Tyvon Branch and that he (Branch) is excited about the new defense. I think they get a long term deal done before freeagency starts.[/QUOTE]

where are they cutting about 30 million in salary to be able to resign him. 22 over the cap and then 7 or 8 more just to resign him. good luck cutting 30 million in salary

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ratliff5;4380405]where are they cutting about 30 million in salary to be able to resign him. 22 over the cap and then 7 or 8 more just to resign him. good luck cutting 30 million in salary[/QUOTE]

They easily get under the cap. Seymour On books for 15 million.(guarantee) but won't count anywhere near that for this season) C Palmer 12.5 millon (restructure- as he going to be their Qb at least next 4 years) J Henderson 4.5 million will be cut a Curry 5.5 (restructured or I think he takes a pay cut or cut) Tom kelly 6 million ( could be cut or traded even though had better year than seymour who was injured last year) Chris Johnson 3.5 million (cut) Wimbley 11 million(6.5 million guaranteed) Might see a trade if he doesn't restructure. (Raiders best pass rusher) M Huff- 8 million E Hiriam 2.5 million will be cut.

The problem not getting under the cap. (thats easy) Most of the big money tied up in a defense that underperfomed last year. Raiders new coach background is defense and might want to start to bring in his own guys.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 02-29-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sure tackler, Speedy guy, but not a ball-hawking safety.
    [img]http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/20.creation.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4380281]No thanks, I rather sign someone that can make plays and cover.[/QUOTE]

I'd rather sign someone that's an upgrade on Eric Smith. And that's anybody.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4380365]I rather sign Michael Griffin, because hes a bigger playmaker vs the pass.[/QUOTE]
    Griffin or Branch would do it for me. Would be good heading into the draft with as few needs as possible.

Get healthy Braylon (who should be cheap), Griffin/Branch, and a servicable FA RT vet before Jets head into the draft would be ideal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4380422]They easily get under the cap. Seymour On books for 15 million.(guarantee) but won't count anywhere near that for this season) C Palmer 12.5 millon (restructure- as he going to be their Qb at least next 4 years) J Henderson 4.5 million will be cut a Curry 5.5 (restructured or I think he takes a pay cut or cut) Tom kelly 6 million ( could be cut or traded even though had better year than seymour who was injured last year) Chris Johnson 3.5 million (cut) Wimbley 11 million(6.5 million guaranteed) Might see a trade if he doesn't restructure. (Raiders best pass rusher) M Huff- 8 million E Hiriam 2.5 million will be cut.

The problem not getting under the cap. (thats easy) Most of the big money tied up in a defense that underperfomed last year. Raiders new coach background is defense and might want to start to bring in his own guys.[/QUOTE]

You have to pay guys to replace the ones you're cutting ya dummy...

You guys are ****ed this season... Rebuilding time again but with a vet QB lol

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4380422]They easily get under the cap. Seymour On books for 15 million.(guarantee) but won't count anywhere near that for this season) C Palmer 12.5 millon (restructure- as he going to be their Qb at least next 4 years) J Henderson 4.5 million will be cut a Curry 5.5 (restructured or I think he takes a pay cut or cut) Tom kelly 6 million ( could be cut or traded even though had better year than seymour who was injured last year) Chris Johnson 3.5 million (cut) Wimbley 11 million(6.5 million guaranteed) Might see a trade if he doesn't restructure. (Raiders best pass rusher) M Huff- 8 million E Hiriam 2.5 million will be cut.

The problem not getting under the cap. (thats easy) Most of the big money tied up in a defense that underperfomed last year. Raiders new coach background is defense and might want to start to bring in his own guys.[/QUOTE]

good idea cut half ur defense in order to resign just one safety seems pretty pointless. think before you type next time. u can get under the cap fine but at the risk of having the worst defense in the league