Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tanny on w/ Boomer & Carton this AM

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380582]That philosophy is a crap shoot at best.

A player like Williams takes a crappy secondary and instantly makes them serviceable.

Pats need a big-time pass rusher.[/QUOTE]

Agreed - people like to think that BB considers himself a genius who doesn't need big time defensive players. I don't think that's the truth at all. Just like the Jets, the Pats swung, and struck out, at acquiring big time defensive talents (Colvin, A. Thomas, etc.). They don't do it every year as that's an unsustainable model, but when it makes sense, they'll make the run.

Mario Williams to the Pats would be an unwelcome development for sure. The critics here will probably accuse the Pats (or whatever gets him) of paying too much, but thats pretty much a guarantee wherever he goes. Top flight pass rushers don't hit the open market very often. The fact that Peppers and Williams will do so in successive years is quite surprising.

If people want to criticize cap management, how about focusing some criticism on those respective teams that allowed those guys to walk? I don't know the intricate details of the Panthers and Texans cap situation, but letting those guys go without any compensation (except for a comp pick) is poor cap managment.

All League
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380577]Looks like Woody took the checkbook away from Tanny.

After breaking the bank on the likes of Calvin Pace, Bart Scott Santonio Holmes etc, Woody finally realized Tannenclown has no clue what he is doing.[/QUOTE]

I think it has a lot more to do with hitting the cap ceiling much more than Woody taking the checkbook away. But in either case, this situation was caused by the players you mentioned above.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=crasherino;4380566]Its not every team's god given right to pursue the #1 and #2 FA every year. Some years you spend the money on new guys, other years you lock up your own guys or simply make tweaks.

The Jets will have the room to bring to make some tweaks this year. Wayne Hunter is a question mark for sure but its not like there is some great replacement out there.

At the end of the day, the team will go as far as Sanchez allows them to. If he can cut down on his stupid errors from last year, the Jets are a playoff team. If he continues to throw the 4 yard INT, its 8-8 again.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree! I was more posting this for the ones who expected the Jets to make a big splash this offseason. Most knew it wasn't happening this year.

Tannenbaum has made numerous mistakes the last 2 years
    Letting Rex pick the "Terminator" as a throw away pick- FAIL
    (sorry, I don't believe any pick is a throw away pick)

Ducasse! STOP TAKING EFFING PROJECTS! PERIOD! Dancing bear my butt.
    That was a SECOND ROUND PICK! There is no time for projects in the NFL & even if you get him to play lights out in his 4th year, he'll be cashing in on free agency.

Holmes! Bad APPLE! ALERT! ALERT! Steelers seem to ALWAYS make very good TEAM DECISIONS. And then having to hear him brag on Hardknocks, "who was the smart guy that got him for a 5th rounder?", yea ok Mike your freaking brilliant.
    A 5th rounder & 60 million $s later.

Restructuring Scott to make cap room for Aso. FAIL!

Plaxico "I can't get open Burress"! Sure he was a threat in the redzone but outside of that, this guys inability to separate, killed Holmes production (doubles & safety help), pretty much nearly got Sanchez KILLED this year, which leads me to:

HUNTER! Tanny restructured this guy right into "uncuttable". He was HORRIBLE last year & we had NO ONE to step in because of DUCASSE THE DANCING BEAR PROJECT!

I don't care what Tannenbaum did 3 years ago, in this business every years a new year & he has been utter FAIL, the last 2 offseasons.

I think his head is on the line this year, an 6-10 season will totally derail those 2 AFCCGs.
    Last edited by jetster; 03-01-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]I don't care what Tannenbaum did 3 years ago[/QUOTE]

Like drafting super bust vernon gholsten, making super jag calvin pace the highest paid olb in the league at the time, or giving a big contract to bryan thomas, or trading away picks for 1 and 1.5 year rentals like Favre and Braylon.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380582]That philosophy is a crap shoot at best.

A player like Williams takes a crappy secondary and instantly makes them serviceable.

Pats need a big-time pass rusher.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=crasherino;4380606]Agreed - people like to think that BB considers himself a genius who doesn't need big time defensive players. I don't think that's the truth at all. Just like the Jets, the Pats swung, and struck out, at acquiring big time defensive talents (Colvin, A. Thomas, etc.). They don't do it every year as that's an unsustainable model, but when it makes sense, they'll make the run.

Mario Williams to the Pats would be an unwelcome development for sure. The critics here will probably accuse the Pats (or whatever gets him) of paying too much, but thats pretty much a guarantee wherever he goes. Top flight pass rushers don't hit the open market very often. The fact that Peppers and Williams will do so in successive years is quite surprising.

If people want to criticize cap management, how about focusing some criticism on those respective teams that allowed those guys to walk? I don't know the intricate details of the Panthers and Texans cap situation, but letting those guys go without any compensation (except for a comp pick) is poor cap managment.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say BB makes that decision b.c he thinks he is a defensive genius and thinks he can coach anybody. I just think he is a realist and understands that they are not going to have a top tier defense unless they are willing to spend multiple years building it with first-rounders and that the window is closing on the TB BB marriage.

I think he realizes that Brady may only have a few years left and building that offense gives him the best chance to win. I think he will try to improve the defense but he is not going to put big money into the defense. I think the Pats are all-in on offense. And then when Brady finally retires they are going to have a ton of cap room and picks to go after a BIG TIME QB.

I think BB understand it is a QB. I don't know any other way to explain why one of the best defensive minds in NFL history would allow his defense to deteriorate other than just coming to the realization that he has a living legend playing QB for him and that he should just keep feeding the beast until the wheels come off.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380619]Like drafting super bust vernon gholsten, making super jag calvin pace the highest paid olb in the league at the time, or giving a big contract to bryan thomas, or trading away picks for 1 and 1.5 year rentals like Favre and Braylon.[/QUOTE]

Ok, 4 or 5 years ago, LOL!

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4380621]I didn't say BB makes that decision b.c he thinks he is a defensive genius and thinks he can coach anybody. I just think he is a realist and understands that they are not going to have a top tier defense unless they are willing to spend multiple years building it with first-rounders and that the window is closing on the TB BB marriage.

I think he realizes that Brady may only have a few years left and building that offense gives him the best chance to win. I think he will try to improve the defense but he is not going to put big money into the defense. I think the Pats are all-in on offense. And then when Brady finally retires they are going to have a ton of cap room and picks to go after a BIG TIME QB.

I think BB understand it is a QB. I don't know any other way to explain why one of the best defensive minds in NFL history would allow his defense to deteriorate other than just coming to the realization that he has a living legend playing QB for him and that he should just keep feeding the beast until the wheels come off.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. 2 TEs, 2 RBs, OL, OL, OL, seems other than Mayo all his defensive picks have been late rounders since he's struck out on all these CBs.
    I really can't wait to see him coach "after TB12". Brady masks SO MUCH of that teams troubles. Everyone here knows that Wes Welker would be half the player he is without TB, just like Moss, Givens, Branch & the list goes on & on.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380533]

and your post makes little sense. because the Jets arent going to overspend on a FA we are doomed? there are other ways to build a team.[/QUOTE]

If we don't overspend in FA and don't make any high profile blockbuster moves, we may end up JUST like the Giants last year who totally f*cked up free agaency and their off season moves.

Man Jerry Reese really f*cked up last year sitting on his hands.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4380657]If we don't overspend in FA and don't make any high profile blockbuster moves, we may end up JUST like the Giants last year who totally f*cked up free agaency and their off season moves.

_[/QUOTE]

Jerry Reese did screw up, he could have had Plax!!!! He screwed us up!!!

Banned
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4380606]

If people want to criticize cap management, how about focusing some criticism on those respective teams that allowed those guys to walk? I don't know the intricate details of the Panthers and Texans cap situation, but letting those guys go without any compensation (except for a comp pick) is poor cap managment.

[/QUOTE]

Not only do the Texans have to deal with Williams, they also have to deal with Arian Foster.

A lot of talk down here is because the way the young defense played without Williams, they will let him hit the open market.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FlagmanL11;4380668]Jerry Reese did screw up, he could have had Plax!!!! He screwed us up!!![/QUOTE]

Hahahaahaah LOL!!! Now that was FUNNY!!!!!!:D

[QUOTE=JStokes;4380657]If we don't overspend in FA and don't make any high profile blockbuster moves, we may end up JUST like the Giants last year who totally f*cked up free agaency and their off season moves.

_[/QUOTE]

Uh, the Giants are 6 deep in pass rushers, while we were using 225 LB Aaron Maybin. Osi is a better pass rusher than ANYONE the Jets have on their roster & he didn't even decide to actually play until it was time to show off his skills again.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=jetster;4380696]Uh, the Giants are 6 deep in pass rushers, while we were using 225 LB Aaron Maybin. Osi is a better pass rusher than ANYONE the Jets have on their roster & he didn't even decide to actually play until it was time to show off his skills again.[/QUOTE]

1. My comment was facetious, not meant to be argued rationally.

2. The facetious point of my comment was that last year Jerry Reese did nothing in the off season--his fans and every radio hack was KILLING him--every single move he didn't make was looked at as a bigger blunder than the one before.

Kind of worked out for them.

I just think it's funny that folks kill Tanny for making splashy moves in the past, and are now killing him for suggesting he's NOT going to make splashy moves.

Oh, and I agree with you on the Giants bevvy of pass rushers--kills me.

_

Some of the posts in this thread by a few individuals are absolutely comical... Just blatant trolling with little interest outside of getting a rise out of others. Hurts the board imo

All Pro
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4380530]They asked him a bunch of questions but one really stuck out to me.

Bommer asked Tanny if there was anyone in FA who they'll be at that players door at 12:01 on the first day of free agency. And he responded with a quick no, not this year. Also said they will be more looking to resign their own guys first.

Nothing shocking to me here at all. But it does pretty much confirm we aren't going after any of the real big names as they will go fast and cost big $$$$$.

Also I know this could change and he has to be careful with what he says but Tanny was asked if Hunter is the starter and he said yes. And was asked again if Hunter will be the starter opening day and Tanny said again yes.[/QUOTE]

Why would he not say that to either questions. If there is a FA he wants, he is not going to telegraph it and maybe create more competition. Right now he has only Hunter on the roster for the RT spot. If he does not know how it is going to play out, why would he try to make Hunter feel worse when he is the only dog in the show right now?

Banned
    [QUOTE=JetinHuntersville;4380745]Why would he not say that to either questions. [B]If there is a FA he wants, he is not going to telegraph it and maybe create more competition.[/B] Right now he has only Hunter on the roster for the RT spot. If he does not know how it is going to play out, why would he try to make Hunter feel worse when he is the only dog in the show right now?[/QUOTE]

Not only that. Naming names right now would be considered tampering.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4380534]I would think by now that people would realize whatever Tanny [I]says[/I] the Jets are going to do, is quite different from what they [I]actually[/I] do.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4380756]Not only that. Naming names right now would be considered tampering.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380676]Not only do the Texans have to deal with Williams, they also have to deal with Arian Foster.

A lot of talk down here is because the way the young defense played without Williams, they will let him hit the open market.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what their cap situation is - are they able to keep him if they so desire?

Tough position to be in with Foster....he's been fantastic, but so was Chris Johnson leading up to his contract extension.