Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tolbert Likely to Hit FA

Tolbert Likely to Hit FA

This isn't a shock to most people here. But I for one would love to have him on the team. What do you think he'd command? I know he was very good in short yardage, and a good receiver, but I can't see him commanding top money. Probably someone we can afford and will make a big impact. Plus his ST value would be great.

[QUOTE]The Union-Tribune San Diego considers free agent Mike Tolbert "likely" to leave the Chargers in free agency.

Beat writer Kevin Acee suggests free agent DB Corey Graham could be targeted to replace Tolbert on special teams. San Diego's 2011 Special Teams Player of the Year, Tolbert is also a bowling-ball short-yardage runner and one of the league's top pass-protecting backs. He'll attract plenty of interest. Tolbert's departure would also be good news for Ryan Mathews' 2012 fantasy value.[/QUOTE]

He fits better than any other FA. I do have a friend at my office who claims Tolbert has had the tendency to tip-toe like B. Jacobs, but I haven't seen it...don't watch much Chargers. I think Tolbert, Green and McKnight complement each other well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Try to get David Wilson in Rnd 2 or draft another back in round 2.

Tolbert is ok but we know what he is. Id rather take a chance on a guy in this draft that has a chance to be great.

Banned
    I wouldn't mind getting Tolbert, but I'd rather get Michael Bush. I think he's a great fit for the offense we're going to run.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;4380612]I wouldn't mind getting Tolbert, but I'd rather get Michael Bush. I think he's a great fit for the offense we're going to run.[/QUOTE]

agreed...i think both fit into the same financial category and would fit in nicely. although bush may command a bit more due to his larger body of work.

Banned
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380618]agreed...i think both fit into the same financial category and would fit in nicely. although bush may command a bit more due to his larger body of work.[/QUOTE]

I think he's a better player than Tolbert.

[QUOTE=sourceworx;4380627]I think he's a better player than Tolbert.[/QUOTE]

in some ways absolutely he is. I think Bush would bring a lot to the table with what the jets are looking to do.

Although Tolbert could add a wrinkle that Bush can't. But I agree in that Bush is a more well rounded player. The ONLY concern I have with Bush is that he doesn't have break away speed, which is very similiar to Greene.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4380627]I think he's a better player than Tolbert.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, they are both good. Bush is very explosive.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Bush is very explosive. [/QUOTE]

HUH? Michael Bush averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year. Hes one of the most NON explosive backs in the league. He is the definition of a JAG.

Draft a running back who has some speed and has a chance to be great.

These stop gap signings of JAG running backs are pointless.

We have enough JAG rbs on the roster w/ greene, powell etc.

there was a previous thread on this guy and my question was this....what makes us think he is going to be affordable? Again, I wouls think if he was going to provide any sort of discount, it would be to his current team. Thed fact that he can catch and is a good short yardage guy to me screams he will be quite expensive.

Tolbert's a great receiver out of the backfield, but he'll be extremely expensive. Far more than Bush because he's a more complete back.

Honestly, I don't get the metrics that GMs use with RB's. They all act like they are interchangeable but they clearly aren't.

Tolbert is a possible top 10 RB if not splitting time with Matthews.

Bush is too, but Bush needs to come out on 3rd down. Tolbert doesn't.

All Pro
    I'll pass on both we need a speedster to compliment Greene.. We don't need another back that's similar to Greene skill set.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380829]HUH? Michael Bush averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year. Hes one of the most NON explosive backs in the league. He is the definition of a JAG.

We have enough JAG rbs on the roster w/ greene, powell etc.[/QUOTE]

He's a fullback; and, I watch him hit the hole on a weekly basis, Joe W.
    Last edited by WestCoastOffensive; 03-01-2012 at 03:09 PM.

All Pro
    He's a dime a dozen RB just like Greene.

I am all for replacing / complementing Greene sooner rather than later, but given our current cap situation, I'd rather not spend any additional funds on a RB unless it's a clear upgrade.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4380808]Jeez, they are both good. Bush is very explosive.[/QUOTE]

i dont think explosive is wrong...but define what you mean by explosive.

if you mean break away speed explosive then hell no.

if you mean burst through the hole (that's what she said), and knock you over explosive then yes.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380829]HUH? Michael Bush averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year. Hes one of the most NON explosive backs in the league. He is the definition of a JAG.

We have enough JAG rbs on the roster w/ greene, powell etc.[/QUOTE]

You're about to unleash the hounds...

[QUOTE=Scoop24;4380984]I'll pass on both we need a speedster to compliment Greene.. We don't need another back that's similar to Greene skill set.[/QUOTE]
    That's why David Wilson in the second or someone like Lamar Miller would be great

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]That's why David Wilson in the second or someone like Lamar Miller would be great [/QUOTE]

Now your talking. Youth and speed on the offensive side of the ball my friend. Thats what we need to focus on.

[QUOTE=PMarsico9;4380865]Tolbert's a great receiver out of the backfield, but he'll be extremely expensive. Far more than Bush because he's a more complete back.

Honestly, I don't get the metrics that GMs use with RB's. They all act like they are interchangeable but they clearly aren't.

[B]Tolbert is a possible top 10 RB if not splitting time with Matthews.[/B]

Bush is too, but Bush needs to come out on 3rd down. Tolbert doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Overrate much?

Tolbert has a much potential of being a top-10 RB as Brad Baxter did back in the 90s. Good short-yardage, power runner? Sure. Top-10? Wow.

Tolbert is a complimentary back, don't mistake this guy for Michael Turner. Tolbert was inconsistent last year.