Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like all is well with Jets RT position.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like all is well with Jets RT position.

Per Rotoworld:

[QUOTE]Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum confirmed that he considers Wayne Hunter the team's starting right tackle entering 2012.

"We expect Wayne back," said Tannenbaum. "We expect him to be our starter." The Jets already guaranteed Hunter's full $2.45 million base salary, so there's no doubt he'll return as a member of the 53-man roster. It seems like the Jets are having a lot of trouble admitting this mistake. Hunter was arguably the worst 16-game starter in football last season, regardless of position.[/QUOTE]

you've got to be kidding me. Really starting to lose faith in these dimwits.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan110;4380590]Per Rotoworld:

you've got to be kidding me. Really starting to lose faith in these dimwits.[/QUOTE]

if Hunter is brought back as the starting RT, I will officially call for Tanny's head. He should no doubt be fired if this occurs.

Hunter is the most glaring steaming pile of **** there is.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380597]if Hunter is brought back as the starting RT, I will officially call for Tanny's head. He should no doubt be fired if this occurs.

Hunter is the most glaring steaming pile of **** there is.[/QUOTE]

And............................Ducasse is a BUST. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

you've got to be kidding me. Really starting to lose faith in these dimwits.[/QUOTE]

Too many fans dump on Hunter when the real problems with pass protection last year was due to sub-par play at TE and FB. Tannenbaum eluded to this during that same interview, and it's absolutely the truth.

Richardson retiring, and Hartsock not being brought back, and then Cumberland going down to injury hurt the depth and blocking on the OL. Conner has the potential, but it was his first year as a starter, he improved as the year progressed, but he was shaky to start the year. Add the fact that Greene took over as the starter at RB, pass protection was inconsistent.

Too many fans look explicitly at the OL, but it's not just the OL, it's the TE, FB, and RB that all have a role, especially against the blitz.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me, this sounds like all bluster. They know RT is deep in the draft - and are comfortable with Hunter [and Turner] as a sub, so they are putting up a smoke-screen as best they can.

Btw, does anyone have an inkling how Hunter graded out as a run-blocker?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]March 2009[/B]
    Mike Tannenbaum: We expect Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff to be our starting QB next year.

[B]April 2009[/B]
    Roger Goodell: With the 5th pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, the NY Jets select Mark Sanchez.

Moral of the story: Don't believe what Tanny says in March.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4380603]Too many fans dump on Hunter when the real problems with pass protection last year was due to sub-par play at TE and FB. Tannenbaum eluded to this during that same interview, and it's absolutely the truth.

Richardson retiring, and Hartsock not being brought back, and then Cumberland going down to injury hurt the depth and blocking on the OL. Conner has the potential, but it was his first year as a starter, he improved as the year progressed, but he was shaky to start the year. Add the fact that Greene took over as the starter at RB, pass protection was inconsistent.

Too many fans look explicitly at the OL, but it's not just the OL, it's the TE, FB, and RB that all have a role, especially against the blitz.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but NO. From a team blocking perspective sure. And while yes our TE blocking wasn't great that is not related to the fact that Hunter is horrible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4380603]
    Too many fans look explicitly at the OL, but it's not just the OL, it's the TE, FB, and RB that all have a role, especially against the blitz.[/QUOTE]

That might be true. But what do the TE, FB and RB have to do with Hunter getting put flat on his back by a 260-LB Von Miller? Or completely whiffing in one-on-one matchups against Babin and other DEs?

We don't analyze Brick's performance by talking about what the TE, FB and RB should have done on the sacks he gave up. And when a pass-rusher beats any of those three players you mention, most do blame those players for it (Mulligan, for example).

If you want to say that Sanchez could have and should have gotten rid of the ball quicker on some of the sacks that Hunter gave up this year, then that I might be able to agree with. But not sure how you can look at the 2011 season and not come up with at least 7 instances where Hunter was clearly destroyed one-on-one, regarldess of what anyone else on the team should have done.

I don't buy that Tanny really believes in Hunter - MT is a worthless interview when talking about players because he changes on a dime. But there really is no defense for Hunter's play for a good portion of 2011.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=adpz;4380611]To me, this sounds like all bluster. They know RT is deep in the draft - and are comfortable with Hunter [and Turner] as a sub, so they are putting up a smoke-screen as best they can.

Btw, does anyone have an inkling how Hunter graded out as a run-blocker?[/QUOTE]

if i had to guess I'd say bottom 5.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4380599]And............................Ducasse is a BUST. ;)[/QUOTE]

I'm waiting one more year before agreeing with you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

And I'm starting to lose faith in our fans' ability to decipher words from actions.

"We expect Brian Schottenheimer back."

- Mike Tannenbaum, January 2012

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetstream23;4380634]And I'm starting to lose faith in our fans' ability to decipher words from actions.

"We expect Brian Schottenheimer back."

- Mike Tannenbaum, January 2012[/QUOTE]

i agree that there are tons of smoke screens and usually when you think about it, whenever tanny makes a statement like this the opposite happens.

But, most of us will always react to what we see and hear.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380623]Sorry but NO. From a team blocking perspective sure. And while yes our TE blocking wasn't great that is not related to the fact that Hunter is horrible.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it possible that both are true? Our blocking from both the TE and RT positions were pretty bad.

I'll put some blame on the protection calls as well. Too often we saw Mulligan one on one with a defensive end/LB on a 4 man rush. That's not a good protection call. Doesn't mean that Hunter didn't get beat far too often when he was one on one with an average defensive player.

Maybe I'm really stubborn, but I'm still holding out hope that Hunter can resurrect his 2010 season with the a new offensive scheme. I fully admit that the weight of the evidence in front of me makes that a foolish hope.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4380638]Isn't it possible that both are true? Our blocking from both the TE and RT positions were pretty bad.

I'll put some blame on the protection calls as well. Too often we saw Mulligan one on one with a defensive end/LB on a 4 man rush. That's not a good protection call. Doesn't mean that Hunter didn't get beat far too often when he was one on one with an average defensive player.

Maybe I'm really stubborn, but I'm still holding out hope that Hunter can resurrect his 2010 season with the a new offensive scheme. I fully admit that the weight of the evidence in front of me makes that a foolish hope.[/QUOTE]

Both are absolutely true! I'm not even close to disputing that. All I'm saying is to give Hunter a pass because of what is around him is as silly as saying there were no other factors. Even Brick had a bad year. BUT Hunter didn't just have a bad year, he had a HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE year.

Hunter is a dope, so were our protection calls. As a result our protection schemes and entire offensive system is changing, and Hunter should be replaced as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380623]Sorry but NO. From a team blocking perspective sure. And while yes our TE blocking wasn't great that is not related to the fact that Hunter is horrible.[/QUOTE]

Disagree bro..

Hunter played just fine the previous year as a starter going into the AFCCG against Pittsburgh, with quality TE play and quality FB play, pass protection was very good.

Hunter just didn't get bad in one year, and Hunter has always earned the praises of his coaches, Callahan before him, and if the team is sticking with him this year, then Sparano sees something in him they like.

This is why I think the Jets will be addressing the TE position this off-season in a big-way, especially a blocking TE. I wouldn't be surprised if they draft one in the earlier rounds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4380603]Too many fans dump on Hunter when the real problems with pass protection last year was due to sub-par play at TE and FB. Tannenbaum eluded to this during that same interview, and it's absolutely the truth.[/QUOTE]

And who's fault is it that we had inferior TE and FB play and talent:confused:

Answer= [SIZE="3"][B]TANNENBUAM[/B][/SIZE]

That Tannenbaum would act like the current state of affairs with the Jets is an "act of God" or like he is a season ticket holder and act like his very [B][SIZE="3"]MOVES[/SIZE][/B] aren't the reason why the Jets had a melt down on offense is a DISGRACE!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    6-10 here we come.

If any of this is true, then this will suck.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I literally don't believe a word Tannenbaum says and neither should you.

I'll believe Hunter is starting if it happens in September.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4380642]Disagree bro..

Hunter played just fine the previous year as a starter going into the AFCCG against Pittsburgh, with quality TE play and quality FB play, pass protection was very good.

[B]Hunter just didn't get bad in one year, and Hunter has always earned the praises of his coaches,[/B] Callahan before him, and if the team is sticking with him this year, then Sparano sees something in him they like.

This is why I think the Jets will be addressing the TE position this off-season in a big-way, especially a blocking TE. I wouldn't be surprised if they draft one in the earlier rounds.[/QUOTE]

Actually, that's exactly what happened. I can't explain it, it was hard to admit it, but the dude was good to very good in 2010 and bad to very bad in 2011.

There may be some reason behind it that the Jets know about and we don't, and it may be correctable (which is what I am feverishly hoping for). But he did exactly what you are saying he didn't....in very simple terms: He went from being good, to being not good.

From observing his play, I don't see how you can come to any other conclusion.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4380641]Both are absolutely true! I'm not even close to disputing that. All I'm saying is to give Hunter a pass because of what is around him is as silly as saying there were no other factors. Even Brick had a bad year. BUT Hunter didn't just have a bad year, he had a HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE year.

Hunter is a dope, so were our protection calls. As a result our protection schemes and entire offensive system is changing, and Hunter should be replaced as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was just adding to your point - totally agree with your post.