Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jarret Johnson

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Jarret Johnson

Pretty ideal replacement for Bryan Thomas. Primarily a run-stopping LB.[QUOTE=@TheJetsStream]Bart Scott on his way out? Another Ravens LB may be on his way in. Sources tell me #Jets making play for Jarret Johnson[/QUOTE]
    [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-interested-jarret-johnson-free-agent-linebacker-played-seasons-rex-ryan-baltimore-ravens-article-1.103127[/url]

[QUOTE=@ProFootbalFocus]@TheJetsStream Interesting move. May not be a LB better at setting the edge vs run than Johnson. Would be a good move[/QUOTE]
    [quote=@ProFootbalFocus]He's not young anymore. Doesn't generate pressure, and vulnerable in coverage. As a new Bryan Thomas in that D though, could be v good, excellent force defender.[/quote]
    Last edited by ozu; 03-01-2012 at 11:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind signing him, but it better not stop us from drafting a pass rusher. Because our pass rush would still be an issue with this signing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am all for this. Just need to be realistic about what he brings. He will set the edge and his motor will always be going. Not a PR by any means.

Lets just hope it is a 3-yr deal MAX. Preferably 2.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roll Tide

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No no no. Enough with these type of signings. We need someone at that position who can get to the qb. end of story. By signing johnson, you are replacing bryan thomas with bryan thomas. same guy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You'd be hard pressed to find a better run stopper at OLB.

I'm all in favor of this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4380807]I wouldn't mind signing him, but it better not stop us from drafting a pass rusher. Because our pass rush would still be an issue with this signing.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't...

As long as you have Maybin, you are going to have to have someone like Johnson or Bryan Thomas to offset what little he does against the run.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get younger, faster and more explosive on defense.

Johnson is not any of those.

We need to build this team with youth and speed. Then add the vets when we are close. Adding stop gap JAG vets now is pointless and will just keep us mired in mediocrity.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380822]No no no. Enough with these type of signings. We need someone at that position who can get to the qb. end of story. By signing johnson, you are replacing bryan thomas with bryan thomas. same guy.[/QUOTE]In a 3-4 you very very rarely have both OLBs rush the passer.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Johnson, draft Zach Brown to play next to Harris inside.

Damn that would be awesome.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]In a 3-4 you very very rarely have both OLBs rush the passer. [/QUOTE]

Ok, well we have Calvin Pace on the other side who cant rush the passer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380834]We need to get younger, faster and more explosive on defense.

Johnson is not any of those.

We need to build this team with youth and speed. Then add the vets when we are close. Adding stop gap JAG vets now is pointless and will just keep us mired in mediocrity.[/QUOTE]

Free agency period starts before the draft. Signing free agents now does not mean we won't draft players with "youth and speed" in April. Not a difficult concept.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4380823]You'd be hard pressed to find a better run stopper at OLB.

I'm all in favor of this.[/QUOTE]

Jets rushing defense gave up less than 4.0 yards per carry last season.

They don't need a run stopper, they need a guy that can bring the heat on the QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Signing free agents now does not mean we won't draft players with "youth and speed" in April. [/QUOTE]

But signing Johnson means playing Johnson which means the youth and speed will not be on the field.

We need dynamic guys who have speed. And they need to be on the field. We dont need slow ass Johnson sucking up playing time so we can go 8-8 this year. Its pointless.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Jets rushing defense gave up less than 4.0 yards per carry last season.

They don't need a run stopper, they need a guy that can bring the heat on the QB. [/QUOTE]

How is it the only guy who gets it is a pats fan?

Jet fans want Jarrett Johnson, Michael Bush and Mike Tolbert.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380841]Jets rushing defense gave up less than 4.0 yards per carry last season.

They don't need a run stopper, they need a guy that can bring the heat on the QB.[/QUOTE]

Our defense wasn't the same once Thomas got injured. Few OLB's can set the edge better than BT, Jarret Johnson being one of them.

I agree that we need another passrusher, but signing Johnson doesn't prohibit us from drafting one, it just eliminates the need to take one within the first two rounds.

Besides, guys like Coples and Ingram will most likely be long gone by the time we pick. Those are the only guys in this draft that strike me as potential double digit sack artists. I'd rather take an OL like DeCastro or Glenn or even an ILB like Hightower or Zach Brown than reach on a total "boom or bust" passrusher like Nick Perry or Whitney Mercilus.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380822]No no no. Enough with these type of signings. We need someone at that position who can get to the qb. end of story. By signing johnson, you are replacing bryan thomas with bryan thomas. same guy.[/QUOTE]

Bryan Thomas was a fairly significant piece of our defense for about 7 years. He was unspectacular in the pass rushing department, but he was a very good run defender and was adept in coverage. The defense definitely struggled after losing Thomas.

I can't say that I've watched every single Ravens game, but I've seen Johnson get pressure on the QB. From what I've seen from the guy, he plays angry and hits hard. Those are two things the Jets could use.

I don't know what his contract demands are and a move like this certainly doesn't preclude drafting an Ingram or Perry, if the situation arises. But he is a guy that I wouldn't mind seeing in Green.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/k-wimbleysacksanchez.jpg?w=221[/IMG]

Raiders will cut Wimbley if he doesnt take a pay cut.
    [url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/raiders-will-cut-wimbley-if-he-doesnt-take-pay-cut/[/url]

Now theres a guy worth looking at in FA. Hes 28, has some speed, and would benefit moving back to olb after playing end in the 4-3 for the raiders.

Pairing him with maybin would give us the speed on the outside we need until we can find a pass rushing stud in the draft.
    Last edited by Joe W. Namath; 03-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380857]Raiders might cut Wimbley if he doesnt take a pay cut.

Now theres a guy worth looking at in FA. Hes 28, has some speed, and would benefit moving back to olb after playing end in the 4-3 for the raiders.

Pairing him with maybin would give us the speed on the outside we need until we can find a pass rushing stud in the draft.[/QUOTE]

There's no way we can afford Wimbley. That's not happening.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380822]No no no. Enough with these type of signings. We need someone at that position who can get to the qb. end of story. By signing johnson, you are replacing bryan thomas with bryan thomas. same guy.[/QUOTE]

And how much did the defense suffer against the run when Bryan Thomas went down for the year?