Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jarret Johnson

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4380857]

Raiders will cut Wimbley if he doesnt take a pay cut.
    [URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/raiders-will-cut-wimbley-if-he-doesnt-take-pay-cut/[/URL]

Now theres a guy worth looking at in FA. Hes 28, has some speed, and would benefit moving back to olb after playing end in the 4-3 for the raiders.

[B]Pairing him with maybin would give us the speed on the outside we need until we can find a pass rushing stud in the draft[/B].[/QUOTE]

Not saying he is the answer but Ricky Sapp, if healthy, could be an option. And with or without JJohnson, I still think the Jets will draft a LB high in the draft..
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't mind for depth and leadership but please not a starter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This video game mentality that some of you have has to stop...

You don't just select 11 starters and they stay out there. It's all about situations in the NFL, even moreso in Rex's scheme.

If they sign Jarrett Johnson, the idea is primarily for 2 downs or other obvious run situations. Passing downs will absolutely still go to Maybin. Pace is probably a better pass rusher than Johnson so he'll be the rusher on the other outside spot in the 4 down linemen alignment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kam Wimbley is going to get PAID if he's released. We can't afford him at all.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4380890]This video game mentality that some of you have has to stop... [/QUOTE]

I'm with you but you know it never will!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jarret Johnson story......

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-interested-jarret-johnson-free-agent-linebacker-played-seasons-rex-ryan-baltimore-ravens-article-1.1031278[/url]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380841]Jets rushing defense gave up less than 4.0 yards per carry last season.

They don't need a run stopper, they need a guy that can bring the heat on the QB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and it was like 2.8 up the middle. Do you know what it was on rushes to the outside? It doesn't take a math major to figure that out...

Signing Johnson doesn't preclude the Jets from drafting an OLB. And unless we get Ingram, the guy isn't likely to be an all around OLB from the get go. More likely, the rookie OLB we draft will be eased in and likely only used on passing downs. Then the hope would be that he can eventually evolve into a starting LOLB or ROLB, replacing either Pace or the hole on the other side in 2013.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4380841]Jets rushing defense gave up less than 4.0 yards per carry last season.

They don't need a run stopper, they need a guy that can bring the heat on the QB.[/QUOTE]

As usual you expose yourself as the know-nothing troll you are

When Bryan Thomas got hurt, the Jets run defense had a lot of problems, especially on the outside with their containment, the Raider game, even the first Pats game come to mind, Jets rotated their strong side OLB all year, between Westerman and McIntyre. Thomas is coming off of an achillies injury and is a FA, not to mention he's an older player than Johnson.

Signing a player like Johnson makes complete sense, knowing his background in Rex's system, and how invaluable he was when Ryan was Baltimore's DC.

Schooled again, log off, and call it a day, why you're still here for trolling is beyond me. :huh:
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 03-01-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4380879]Not saying he is the answer but Ricky Sapp, if healthy, could be an option. And with or without JJohnson, I still think the Jets will draft a LB high in the draft..[/QUOTE]

I think that you are correct! Sapp and Maybin can really apply some heat on opposing QBs. i also expect Mauga/ Bellore to add some heat in the middle as well. With the addition ( hopefully) of additional safeties, this defense will rock! A passrush will make the secondary absolutely much better! I expect TRACY WILSON to step up in camp and take one safety position. I also love the possibility of Mark Barron on the Jets.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Johnson would help Harris in the middle. Once the DL matures and solidifies as a unit Harris can only get better. I like Johnson as a hard working guy who gets the job done.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;4380836]Sign Johnson, draft Zach Brown to play next to Harris inside.

Damn that would be awesome.[/QUOTE]
    Zach Brown is lightning. With his speed and athletic abilities could play OLB where he maybe better suited given he is quite light to be considered ILB

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4381329]As usual you expose yourself as the know-nothing troll you are

When Bryan Thomas got hurt, the Jets run defense had a lot of problems, especially on the outside with their containment, the Raider game, even the first Pats game come to mind, Jets rotated their strong side OLB all year, between Westerman and McIntyre. Thomas is coming off of an achillies injury and is a FA, not to mention he's an older player than Johnson.

Signing a player like Johnson makes complete sense, knowing his background in Rex's system, and how invaluable he was when Ryan was Baltimore's DC.

Schooled again, log off, and call it a day, why you're still here for trolling is beyond me. :huh:[/QUOTE]
    +1OOO !! Those are the facts right there.

Troll - you've been told!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4381341]I think that you are correct! Sapp and Maybin can really apply some heat on opposing QBs. i also expect Mauga/ Bellore to add some heat in the middle as well. With the addition ( hopefully) of additional safeties, this defense will rock! A passrush will make the secondary absolutely much better! I expect TRACY WILSON to step up in camp and take one safety position.[B] I also love the possibility of Mark Barron on the Jets.[/B][/QUOTE]

+1

and this guy in the 2nd round[SIZE=2]

[B]SHEA MCCLELLIN[/B][B] OLB, Boise State[/B][/SIZE][B][SIZE=2]HT: [B] 6-3[/B] WT: [B]258 [/B][/SIZE][/B]

[B]A versatile, explosive athlete with a mighty motor who knows how to reach the quarterback. McClellin possesses a solidly put together frame with a strong upper body which maximizes his length into contact. He plays all over the Boise State defense.[/B] He will play with his hand on the ground, can stand up and rush from a two-point stance and will blitz from the inside as well. He exhibits an explosive first step off the ball both with his hand on the ground and standing up. He can also coil up into his stance, stay low initially off the football and threaten the edge with speed. He does a nice job timing up the snap count and is routinely one of the first lineman moving off the ball. McClellin doesn't waste any motion from a two-point stance either when threatening the backfield. His weight is consistently in his front foot and that generates a burst attacking the backfield. He also displays a real know-how of getting to the quarterback and he possesses a solid pass rushing arsenal. He isn't the most flexible of athletes, but will drop his pad level around the corner, sink his hips and turn the corner. He's balanced/fluidity laterally when working a counter off his speed rush. He gets a bit upright, but extends his arms well, is strong in the lower half working through contact and accelerates well through contact. Also, McClellin extends his arms well at the point, can initially create a pop to gain space and possesses a solid initial burst once he gains a step. He's clever when asked to stunt, disguises his intentions well and works endlessly toward the quarterback.

He also plays the run well for his size, is patient when taking on blocks, extends his arms well and has a violent set of hands. His combination of body control and hand strength allows him to keep himself clean into contact, fend off the block and work his way in pursuit. He is a solid anchor player who can run as well and will make plays off his frame. He likes to run around blocks more so in space and at times will take himself out of plays. [B]Also, McClellin is often asked to drop off into coverage and is a solid athlete in man.[/B] He keeps his feet under him, exhibits some natural balance/fluidity in the hips and can re-direct and close on the football.

Impression: McClellin is a productive pass rusher with a big motor, good skill set and can get after the QB in a number of ways. Looks like a potential starter at the next level.

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=37585[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

How does a Jets hating Pats fan know more about the Jets than most of the Jets fans who post on this board?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As per [COLOR="Red"]ROTOWORLD[/COLOR]

Free agent LB Jarret Johnson confirmed that his agent has not held any recent discussions about returning to the Ravens.
    "There is nothing active going on," said Johnson. "The Ravens will be in the mix. The body of work is there for them to judge." A Rex Ryan favorite, the Jets and Colts are among the teams that have expressed interest in signing Johnson this offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4380890]This video game mentality that some of you have has to stop...

You don't just select 11 starters and they stay out there. It's all about situations in the NFL, even moreso in Rex's scheme.

If they sign Jarrett Johnson, the idea is primarily for 2 downs or other obvious run situations. Passing downs will absolutely still go to Maybin. Pace is probably a better pass rusher than Johnson so he'll be the rusher on the other outside spot in the 4 down linemen alignment.[/QUOTE]

You can also add "fantasy football mentality" to that as well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4381329]As usual you expose yourself as the know-nothing troll you are

Schooled again, log off, and call it a day, why you're still here for trolling is beyond me. :huh:[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is the question can he help the jets next season especially agianst the run.
    . He probably can. Do you want to invest in a 31 year old lB who strength is not rushing the Qb or in pass coverage. Sooner or later you have to stop the band aid approach and find a player that going to be long term solution at OLB.

Now you have all this money tied up in a Player on the wrong side of thirty and sooner or later his skills start to slip.

Btw last point Correct me If Im wrong The olb's in a 3-4 suppose to be the players getting to the Qb.
    What does he do for you in that area. an opposing OC sees a run stuffer in the game (key Olb position that offers nothing as pass rusher)why won't they just throw the football.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    just don't think jets are financially capable of signing an impact free agent.... Therefore, they will either take a known commodity who can play well in there system like a J.Johnson or even consider resigning B.Thomas. Don't think it will alter Draft plans... I think the Jets are willing to take a calculated risk on players they can get at a bargain, with potential upside.... That is why a guy like Braylon Edwards makes sense.

but..... the Jets clearly need to do better in the draft!