Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: It's Official: Tags for DeSean Jackson, Tyvon Branch

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's Official: Tags for DeSean Jackson, Tyvon Branch

[url]http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2012/03/02/eagles_tag_jackson_guaranteeing_him_94m/[/url]

[url]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7635153/oakland-raiders-place-franchise-tag-safety-tyvon-branch[/url]

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8275255c/article/eagles-use-franchise-tag-on-wr-jackson-will-pay-him-94m?module=HP11_hot_topics[/url]

[SIZE="5"][B]Eagles use franchise tag on WR Jackson, will pay him $9.4MNFL.com Wire Reports [/B][/SIZE]

Published: March 1, 2012 at 04:36 p.m. Updated: March 2, 2012 at 08:35 a.m.

The contract saga between DeSean Jackson and the Philadelphia Eagles took another turn Thursday, when the team announced it had placed its franchise tag on the enigmatic wideout, making him the first player to receive the designation this offseason.

If Jackson and the Eagles can't agree to a long-term deal, then Jackson will receive a 2012 salary of $9.4 million, the franchise-tag figure for wideouts under the new collective bargaining agreement.

Jackson said in a statement that he's honored to be the Eagles' franchise player, adding: "I look forward to getting a long-term deal done soon and being an Eagle for many years to come.

"We want DeSean to be an Eagle for the long haul, and this is a step in the right direction to accomplish that," Eagles general manager Howie Roseman said in a statement issued by the team. "DeSean is a talented player and a proven playmaker in this league, and we look forward to him continuing his career in Philadelphia. It's our understanding that he has the same desire. We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him."

Jackson made it clear after the Eagles beat the Washington Redskins in their Jan. 1 season finale that he would accept the tag.

"I hope I will be here," he said. "These guys on this team and the fans, this is home."

Jackson made the Pro Bowl in 2009 and 2010, posting career totals of 229 catches, 4,085 yards and 21 touchdowns along the way. But he had 58 receptions for 961 yards with four touchdowns during the 2011 season, which was muddled by an ongoing contract dispute that placed his future with the team into question.

Jackson, 25, held out of training camp last season because he wanted a new deal -- he made just $600,000 -- and later admitted his contract situation was a distraction. He was deactivated for one game after being late for a team meeting and seemed disgruntled much of the season.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/7635153/oakland-raiders-place-franchise-tag-safety-tyvon-branch[/url]

[B]Raiders place tag on Tyvon Branch[/B]

The Oakland Raiders placed the franchise tag on safety Tyvon Branch on Thursday, guaranteeing him about $6.2 million for 2012 to keep him off the open market in free agency.

"We are pleased that Tyvon will return to the Raiders in 2012," Raiders general manager Reggie McKenzie said in a statement. "Tyvon is a talented, productive player who we hope will be wearing the Silver and Black for many years to come. We will continue to work on a long-term deal to make that happen."

Tyvon Branch
    #33 S
    Oakland Raiders

Branch, a fourth-round pick in 2008, has started every game the past three seasons and led the Raiders in tackles the past two years. He had 78 solo tackles, one sack, one interception, four passes defensed and one fumble recovery last season. He also was much improved in pass coverage, cutting his completion percentage against from 67.4 percent in 2010 to 55.7 percent last season, according to STATS LLC.

The move to lock up Branch means running back Michael Bush will likely be able to test the free agent market starting March 13. Bush led the Raiders with 977 yards rushing last season, stepping into the starting role when Darren McFadden went down with a season-ending foot injury. Bush has expressed interest in becoming a starter and might leave Oakland to do it.

The decision to keep Branch is one of many key ones coming for the Raiders in the next few weeks.

The Raiders can rework contracts with high base salaries and salary cap numbers for 2012, like quarterback Carson Palmer's and defensive tackle Richard Seymour's. They also could cut some veterans like defensive tackle John Henderson.

McKenzie said after hiring coach Dennis Allen that some of the team's contracts were "out of whack" but he didn't envision having problems getting under the cap.

Oakland released cornerback Stanford Routt last month just one year into a $54.5 million, five-year contract. Linebacker Kamerion Wimbley, who got the franchise tag last offseason before signing a five-year, $48 million contract, also could be a target for restructuring or release.

Wimbley was second on the Raiders with seven sacks last season and was also 15th in the league with 31 quarterback knockdowns and hurries, according to STATS.

"We will take into consideration anything they come back with bearing in mind that he is one of the better players at his position," agent Joe Linta said.
    _

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted no part of Desean. He's another Santonio just more talented and more expensive. Let the Eagles have fun with him and the huge contract they or some sucker will get locked into.

Tyvon Branch was the only high-profile free agent Safety I liked. Now that he's tagged our only options are in the draft (Barron, Martin, Harrison Smith) or mid and low-level FA's like Lowery and Poole. Honestly that's fine because any of those names are better than the dynamic duds Eric Smith and Jim Leonhard.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget about Goldson

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/franchise-roundup-dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-tag-source-says"]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/franchise-roundup-dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-tag-source-says[/URL]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeSean Jackson is an out and out DOG. If I was Philly I would do everything in my power to dump is malcontent rump on some dumb team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4381993]Don't forget about Goldson

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/franchise-roundup-dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-tag-source-says"]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7637073/franchise-roundup-dashon-goldson-san-francisco-49ers-get-tag-source-says[/URL][/QUOTE]

Brent Grimes also.

Grimes tagged by Falcons.

Cortland Finnegan might become UFA.

.... per Schefter

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4382004]Brent Grimes also.

Grimes tagged by Falcons.

Cortland Finnegan might become UFA.

.... per Schefter[/QUOTE]

Do you think Finnegan is worth it? I don't. A team has to be in dire need of a CB to sign him if he's let go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4382005]Do you think Finnegan is worth it? I don't. A team has to be in dire need of a CB to sign him if he's let go.[/QUOTE]

Hes an unrestricted Fa Finnegan. (they aren't going to tag him) Hes not a man to man CB, as he better in zone. If your playing zone he might be an option for your team. If your playing man to man he probably isn't someone you would want.

Ray Rice has also been franchised.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Raider90210, what are your thoughts on Michael Bush? I loved him coming out of Louisville. What are his hands like coming out of the backfield? His pass blocking?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4382023]Raider90210, what are your thoughts on Michael Bush? I loved him coming out of Louisville. What are his hands like coming out of the backfield? His pass blocking?[/QUOTE]

JMO M Bush offers the Jets nothing what they don't have, except a better receiver threat coming out of backfield(assuming LT not coming back) The problem with that is there is no chance of him taking it to the house. (has no break away speed)

His pass blocking wasn't that great last year. Was that due to fatigue as he was the only running back they had healthy for most of the season. (wasn't use to carrying that much of the load) . Raiders a couple years ago wanted to get M Bush and Darren Mcfadden on the field together. They asked Bush to play Fb. He really wanted no part of being a FB.

He lost his effectiveness down the stretch last season, IMO when teams took away the middle, and dared him to beat him outside. He couldn't.

I'm not a big M Bush fan but that honestly how I saw it.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    no to finnegan

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah Michael Bush and Shonne Greene are essentially the same player.

I have heard rumors that Cincy will make a run at him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Laron Landry is now the guy I want most in FA..

Redskins franchise tag Fred Davis instead of him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4381998]DeSean Jackson is an out and out DOG. If I was Philly I would do everything in my power to dump is malcontent rump on some dumb team.[/QUOTE]
    DeSean is overpriced though explosive and fast. One big hit and he's a goner

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4381998]DeSean Jackson is an out and out DOG. If I was Philly I would do everything in my power to dump is malcontent rump on some dumb team.[/QUOTE]

I agree . He is a Holmes clone.