Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bryan Thomas could return

Hall Of Fame

Bryan Thomas could return

[QUOTE]The longest-tenured Jets player may be sticking around for at least another season.

The Jets are considering re-signing free-agent outside linebacker Bryan Thomas, according to two sources.

Thomas missed most of the 2011 season with a torn left Achilles tendon, but he has been rehabilitating the injury and expects to be 100 percent for next season.

The Jets selected Thomas, 32, in the first round of the 2002 NFL Draft. When they let go defensive end Shaun Ellis last summer, Thomas became the longest-tenured Jet. Thomasí 145 games played are the fourth-most for a linebacker in team history.

He suffered the season-ending injury on Oct. 2 in a 34-17 loss to the Ravens. Many in the organization felt the loss of Thomas severely hindered the teamís defense, and the team never found a stable replacement for him. Jamaal Westerman, Garrett McIntyre, Josh Mauga and Aaron Maybin all spent time in Thomasí spot.

Thomas spent the rest of the season working out at the Jetsí training center, so the teamís doctors should have a good idea of how healthy Thomas is.

It is unclear what role the Jets would bring back Thomas in. Maybin emerged last season as the teamís best pass rusher. The Jets could use a combination of Thomas on running downs with Maybin entering in pass situations.
    [/QUOTE]
    Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_could_re_sign_veteran_thomas_c5yWjX0i4GctjhzcqnW6WP#ixzz1nyhSIGoh[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    I hope he does return. (and he's healthy) We definitely suffered when he went down last year.

[QUOTE=freestater;4381821]I hope he does return. (and he's healthy) We definitely suffered when he went down last year.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he's option B behind Jarret Johnson or if it's Johnson that's being used as the smokescreen.

All Pro
    Aslong as he does not prevent us from going after a younger guy, fine. As a role player he is still valuable with his experience...

Id much rather see him on the depth chart, instead of Berning,Muaga and McIntyre.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

The thing is, much like Damien Woody, its a long road back for a guy with his injury at his age, to play for at or close to the vet minimum. Its one thing if he was trying to get one last pay day, but I don't think he can expect a big salary here or elsewhere.

At 32, he may decide that its simply not worth it to go through camp, to risk more permanent injury to his body all for less than $1 mil. He does have an advantage over Woody in that its easier to go through camp at 260 lbs than it is at 360 lbs.

If he's healthy and motivated, sure, I'd consider him. While not the dynamic player we were hoping for, he served a role and fit a niche. I'd still draft Nick Perry if he was available.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4381838]The thing is, much like Damien Woody, its a long road back for a guy with his injury at his age, to play for at or close to the vet minimum. Its one thing if he was trying to get one last pay day, but I don't think he can expect a big salary here or elsewhere.

At 32, he may decide that its simply not worth it to go through camp, to risk more permanent injury to his body all for less than $1 mil. He does have an advantage over Woody in that its easier to go through camp at 260 lbs than it is at 360 lbs.

If he's healthy and motivated, sure, I'd consider him. While not the dynamic player we were hoping for, he served a role and fit a niche. I'd still draft Nick Perry if he was available.[/QUOTE]

+1

Cute kid, also! You doomed him already I see.

All League
    No need to even entertain signing BT until August. And if they do, it'll be for the veterans minimum....

I'd actually like to see him replaced. At his age coming off an achilles injury, I don't feel confident that he will be able to maintain his level of performance.

IMO, time to move on, unless his role will be reduced.

Jets Insider VIP
    Look at the Steelers. Cutting dead weight so they can get younger and faster. Thats what a great organization does when the window has closed.

Our window is closed. Our dismal season last year proves that. Get rid of these older guys with no playmaking ability.

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick. How anyone could want this guy around is beyond me.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4381876]Look at the Steelers. Cutting dead weight so they can get younger and faster. Thats what a great organization does when the window has closed.

Our window is closed. Our dismal season last year proves that. Get rid of these older guys with no playmaking ability.

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick. How anyone could want this guy around is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

This year doesn't look great and while I agree with your sentiment, I don't think this is the year to do it.

Next year the cap opens up a bit.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4381876]

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick. How anyone could want this guy around is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

You know, if we had taken him in the 3rd round where he should have gone, we'd probably be a lot happier with his production.

Taking him where we did--when we didn't have to--was an abysmal pfail.

_

he was drafted as a pass rusher but BT has been a bust in that category. His run defense has turned out to be the true strength of his game, maintaining the edge. So I can see him being a 1st/2nd down player.

Don't really want him back, but if he came back at the minimum as backup I'd be fine with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    IMO, the Jets would be much better off if he is "mulliganed" and replaced by somebody better (of which there are dozens)

Banned
    We need youth and speed. A 32 year-old coming off an achilles tear provides neither.

Hall Of Fame
    tough crowd.

BT really helps in the run game. No, he's not a pass-rusher, but a solid 1st, 2nd down player.

Banned
    [QUOTE=freestater;4381904]tough crowd.

BT really helps in the run game. No, he's not a pass-rusher, but a solid 1st, 2nd down player.[/QUOTE]

We need speed. Speed is what we need. We need greasy fast speed!
    [IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1v_1_hhWp84/TEKkWDdUnvI/AAAAAAAADSo/hoXmUcZq1eQ/s1600/Rocky+II+chicken.jpg[/IMG]

He's an excellent run stopper but that is it. If he wants to sign a very cheap deal and be a platoon guy fine. If they are counting on him for anything other than run stopping forget it.

We badly need to upgrade olbs.

[QUOTE=jetsfan920;4381895]Don't really want him back, but if he came back at the minimum as backup I'd be fine with it.[/QUOTE]

And that's probably what is going to happen. Thomas doesn't have any better options than signing a 1 year deal at or near the league minimum with the Jets. He's old, coming off a ruptured achilles, and is an OLB who can't rush the QB.

BT would give us fine depth next season at a very reasonable price.