Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Thomas could return

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4381830]Id much rather see him on the depth chart, instead of Berning,Muaga and McIntyre.[/QUOTE]

call the newspaper, we agree:)

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4381876]Look at the Steelers. Cutting dead weight so they can get younger and faster. Thats what a great organization does when the window has closed.

Our window is closed. Our dismal season last year proves that. Get rid of these older guys with no playmaking ability.

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick. How anyone could want this guy around is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I have to say, in the years I've been on this site, this is the best post I've ever read. You absolutely nailed it as to why the Steelers are always Super Bowl contenders while we are occasional Wild Card contenders. Do you have an email address to send it to Mr. MaGoo(Woody) Mr. T and REX?

Do we really need a 32 yrs player coming off torn achillies?

how is he going to make Jets better?

Is he better all round player than Westerman? I would say yes... does he become a 1 or 2 down player and rotate in with Maybin?

not sure what veteran minimum is.. but would go beyond that

[QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4381846]No need to even entertain signing BT until August. And if they do, it'll be for the veterans minimum....[/QUOTE]

or simply after the draft.

When we draft an OLB (oh please god) he would serve as a good mentor. Always class and professional.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4381876]Look at the Steelers. Cutting dead weight so they can get younger and faster. Thats what a great organization does when the window has closed.

Our window is closed. Our dismal season last year proves that. Get rid of these older guys with no playmaking ability.

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick. How anyone could want this guy around is beyond me.[/QUOTE]
    You are combining your frustration over talent with your unrealistic expectations. Consistency is the most important (by far) "skill" and BT showed loads of it. He was a solid first round pick; how was he a bust? Because he wasn't John Abraham? :rolleyes:

You should change your name to Brooks I. Bollinger. :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Taking a step back, I think there is a very high likelihood of the Jets drafting a LB that they anticipate will start from day 1 - someone in the first 3 rounds.

That could be a Luke K., Zack Brown or Nick Perry or someone else I'm less familiar with.

It seems to me that they will have a vet play in the other spot - whether its Bart Scott, Jarrett Johnson, Brian Thomas or someone else. I have a feeling that a lot of what they do will depend on how the draft pans out. JMO, but the Jets probably don't want brand new rookie starters at two LB positions. Its one thing to have a guy start off as a rotational player - its another thing to have two green starters in your base defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't know what to think of this.

I can't imagine Thomas being a starter anymore.

He wasn't the fastest OLB to begin with and I can't imagine him being as fast as he was after the achilles injury.

If I were the Jets, he would have to show me an awful lot in workouts to even consider re-signing him.

My gut tells me they should move on. Thanks for the years Bryan but it's time to close the curtain.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4381917]He's an excellent run stopper but that is it. If he wants to sign a very cheap deal and be a platoon guy fine. If they are counting on him for anything other than run stopping forget it.

[B]We badly need to upgrade olbs[/B].[/QUOTE]

This has been a need for 2-3 years. Weve gotten away with smoke and mirrors but it finally caught up to us last year. We also need an ILB to pair up with Harris. Mauga and Bellore are nice depth players but nothing more. They are the Eric Smiths of ILBs. Starting either one would be a mistake.

Im also not sold on Aaron Maybin. Guy doesnt have the size right now to be anything but a situational pass rusher. He was exposed as a one trick pony by season's end. However hes young and athletic enough to deserve more time with our coaching staff/system. Maybe a diamond in the rough but im not holding my breath
    Last edited by kennyo7; 03-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4381876]

Good riddance Bryan Thomas you epic 1st round bust. What a waste of a pick.

[/QUOTE]

Not sure if the Jets should resign him due to his injury and age, but he is definitely not a bust.

BT's strength was not getting after the QB, but he played the run as good as any edge LB in the NFL.

He was also very consistent and came to play every single game.

He never gets the love he deserves, especially on this message board.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Not sure if the Jets should resign him due to his injury and age, but he is definitely not a bust.[/QUOTE]

In his career, name one big play Bryan Thomas ever made. A big strip sack for a td, a pick returned. Anything. In 10 years, whats his signature play?

I'd only want him back as a cheap, 3rd OLB option. Jarret Johnson would be nice, and I'd prefer him over Thomas.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382022]In his career, name one big play Bryan Thomas ever made. A big strip sack for a td, a pick returned. Anything. In 10 years, whats his signature play?[/QUOTE]

His blindside strip sack of Tom Brady at Foxboro to end the game and help send Jets to an unexpected playoff birth back in 2006.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382022]In his career, name one big play Bryan Thomas ever made. A big strip sack for a td, a pick returned. Anything. In 10 years, whats his signature play?[/QUOTE]

Or his huge hit (with Ellis) on Flacco, causing a fumble on the first defensive snap ever for the Jets at the new Meadowlands.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]His blindside strip sack of Tom Brady at Foxboro to end the game and help send Jets to an unexpected playoff birth back in 2006. [/QUOTE]

Wasnt that Sean Ellis?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

He had a great sack of Favre when we played them in Green Bay. That will always stick out in my mind.

But who gives a **** about a signature play? Jerome Simpson had the play of the year last year - he's about to go to jail and be unemployed.

To the extent we thought we were getting an OLB with 4.5 speed who would wreak havoc on the QB, he was disappointing. But, lets not minimize his contributions over the past 10 years. He was solid but unspectacular. There are worse outcomes for late first round picks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Or his huge hit (with Ellis) on Flacco, causing a fumble on the first defensive snap ever for the Jets at the new Meadowlands. [/QUOTE]

So a week 1, 1st quarter sack was the biggest play in his entire career? Oh god. Hes even worse then I thought.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382035]Wasnt that Sean Ellis?[/QUOTE]

yes

I've given it some thought since your post and I can't think of a single such signature play for Thomas

another Bradwayvian bad first round pick

Hall Of Fame

An irrelevant "stat" if ever there was one.

Never should have been drafted him where he we--had we gotten him in the third we'd be totally satisfied with him being a consistent productive contributor.

Never ever flashy, but a solid starter his whole career.

_

Jets Insider VIP
    and I'm also not sure that it wasn't Jason Taylor who made that sack of Flacco in the Inaugural game vs the Ravens

could be wrong though

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JStokes;4382045]An irrelevant "stat" if ever there was one.

Never should have been drafted him where he we--had we gotten him in the third we'd be totally satisfied with him being a consistent productive contributor.

Never ever flashy, but a solid starter his whole career.

_[/QUOTE]

disagree

he was drafted because of 4.4 something speed at the combine to become a premier edge rusher in the NFL. And as far as that goal was concerned, he will always be a failure