Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bryan Thomas could return

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=sg3;4382049]disagree

he was drafted because of 4.4 something speed at the combine to become a premier edge rusher in the NFL. And as far as that goal was concerned, he will always be a failure[/QUOTE]

So, you're not going to read anything I said?

I SAID--had we taken him in the THIRD ROUND WHERE WE SHOULD HAVE--we would have been satisfied with his production--regardless of what we hoped we were getting.

Taking him in the first round was an EPIC PFAIL.

Dude, read, will ya?

_

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382040]So a week 1, 1st quarter sack was the biggest play in his entire career? Oh god. Hes even worse then I thought.[/QUOTE]

In other words your clueless, threw out a goofy statement and then when people stuffed back in your face youre going to complain that it came to early in a season. Not that a signature play means anything or should be the way any player is judged.

BTW, the steelers are cutting players because they have no choice. They're in cap hell, their GM and capologist are being killed by fans & media.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 03-02-2012 at 02:32 PM.

I said it was likely he'd be back a long time ago. He will likely be league min. Was a good cover, run D lb, and was missed in our games vs the Pats. Much rather have him as a BU then Westy. Also gives us more room to get rid of Pace if we do draft 2 OLB in the early rounds. Which is not unlikely. I could see us going with Ingram and Maybin on one side and Jonathan Massaquoi and Thomas on the other. Can't be any worse then the OLB play we saw last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382022]In his career, name one big play Bryan Thomas ever made. A big strip sack for a td, a pick returned. Anything. In 10 years, whats his signature play?[/QUOTE]
    A player needs a signature play to qualify him as a good player?

Does Darrelle Revis have a signature play? :confused:

[QUOTE=Jordy;4382078]A player needs a signature play to qualify him as a good player?

Does Darrelle Revis have a signature play? :confused:[/QUOTE]

thomas was drafted in the first round b/c he was thought to be a sack artist. he turned out to be a decent 3-4 olb with minimal ability to rush the passer. while it's nice when your first rounders have long, reasonably productive careers (unlike gholston), it's critical to get impact players with your first rounders.

if the jets had known bryan thomas' career arc at the time they drafted him, he'd have been a 3rd rounder. you don't draft olbs in the first round who are good at stopping the run.

as for revis, didn't he have that sick one handed pick vs. the bengals in the playoffs?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4382083]thomas was drafted in the first round b/c he was thought to be a sack artist. he turned out to be a decent 3-4 olb with minimal ability to rush the passer. while it's nice when your first rounders have long, reasonably productive careers (unlike gholston), it's critical to get impact players with your first rounders.

if the jets had known bryan thomas' career arc at the time they drafted him, he'd have been a 3rd rounder. you don't draft olbs in the first round who are good at stopping the run.

as for revis, didn't he have that sick one handed pick vs. the bengals in the playoffs?[/QUOTE]
    I don't disagree with anything you say at all.

I just thought it was ridiculous to judge a player on a "signature play."

[QUOTE=Jordy;4382087]I don't disagree with anything you say at all.

I just thought it was ridiculous to judge a player on a "signature play."[/QUOTE]

absolutely.

except for maybe wayne hunter. i'm still deciding between the demarcus ware play, b/c it was the first one of the season, or the von miller play.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4382078]A player needs a signature play to qualify him as a good player?

[B]Does Darrelle Revis have a signature play?[/B] :confused:[/QUOTE]

Yeah. It's called "Shutting Down The Other Team's Best Receiver"

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382022]In his career, name one big play Bryan Thomas ever made. A big strip sack for a td, a pick returned. Anything. In 10 years, whats his signature play?[/QUOTE]

You've been watching way too many "discount double check" commercials. :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]BTW, the steelers are cutting players because they have no choice. [/QUOTE]

Thery are not even trying to restructure these deals. They are flat out cutting these guys and dont want them back.

and Revis's signature play? How about the sick pick in the SD playoff game in 09. Ill start there.

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4382145]Thery are not even trying to restructure these deals. They are flat out cutting these guys and dont want them back.
    [/QUOTE]

Its called having depth and salary cap money to sign guys. 2 things the NYJETS lack.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4381982]You are combining your frustration over talent with your unrealistic expectations. Consistency is the most important (by far) "skill" and BT showed loads of it. He was a solid first round pick; how was he a bust? Because he wasn't John Abraham? :rolleyes:

You should change your name to Brooks I. Bollinger. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Ignatius? :dunno:

I'd definitely be in favor of him staying if any of the following (Pace, Scott, Westerman) are gone.

Jets Insider VIP
    revis averages more signature plays in three weeks than Bryan Thomas has come up with (if anybody can actually name one) in his career

Bewildered Beast
    Being a dooshbucket on a messageboard?

Ooops; that's your signature play.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=freestater;4382194]Ignatius? :dunno:[/QUOTE]
    Sold! :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Being a dooshbucket on a messageboard?

Ooops; that's your signature play. [/QUOTE]

Now we know why your not WestCoastComedian.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=sg3;4382241]revis averages more signature plays in three weeks than Bryan Thomas has come up with (if anybody can actually name one) in his career[/QUOTE]
    How about 145 straight starts? C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y. Stopping the run; the lunchbucket player...every team needs them.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4382254]How about 145 straight starts? C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y. Stopping the run; the lunchbucket player...every team needs them.[/QUOTE]

Exactly...

You people trying to label him as a bust are just reaching... He's a solid player, especially against the run. Much like Pouha is on the inside. Thomas hasn't been asked to rush the passer much or paid a great deal of money. He was a late first rounder that the team took a chance on and didn't work out in the best possible fashion. But he was still a legit starter who did very well at something in particular.

That said, I'd look to not bring him back. Get more guys with more pure athleticism. Also need more excitability on the defense. Too many guys who are calm. Bart is one of the few guys who actually talks it up and we are probably going to lose him too. Thomas is extremely quiet.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4382321]Exactly...

You people trying to label him as a bust are just reaching... He's a solid player, especially against the run. Much like Pouha is on the inside. Thomas hasn't been asked to rush the passer much or paid a great deal of money. He was a late first rounder that the team took a chance on and didn't work out in the best possible fashion. But he was still a legit starter who did very well at something in particular.

That said, I'd look to not bring him back. Get more guys with more pure athleticism. Also need more excitability on the defense. Too many guys who are calm. Bart is one of the few guys who actually talks it up and we are probably going to lose him too. Thomas is extremely quiet.[/QUOTE]
    2002 was probably one of the worst drafts in Jets history.

Although the talent pool wasn't extremely deep. Kinda sad to know, however, that Ed Reed was picked 2 slots after Thomas was.

The Jets best pick was probably Jonathan Goodwin in the 5th round.