Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Saints "May" Be Disciplined for Bounty Program

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4385495]I think so. What they did was very egregious, but an entire draft would be excessive. Hefty fines, lengthy suspensions (maybe 'indefinate' for Williams), and a loss of the 2nd this year and first next, would send the right message to the rest of the league I think, and be an appropriate punishment.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this response. A whole draft class is a little over board

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4385559]Yes I would!!!!!! Peyton is better but6 he has been injured so with him no but with Brees yes and sanchez has to go....

And I am a HUGE Sanchez support.[/QUOTE]

I'm really wondering if something like this will lead to Brees jumping the NO ship.

And I for one would bankroll the future on him. Brees, even with what we'd need to do to fit him under the cap would make this team an instant AFC force for years.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385593]I'm really wondering if something like this will lead to Brees jumping the NO ship.

And I for one would bankroll the future on him. Brees, even with what we'd need to do to fit him under the cap would make this team an instant AFC force for years.[/QUOTE]

He's been franchised - he doesn't really have a choice. He can try and shoot his way out, but more likely he'll just sit out and wait until they come to him with a decent deal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385593]I'm really wondering if something like this will lead to Brees jumping the NO ship.

And I for one would bankroll the future on him. Brees, even with what we'd need to do to fit him under the cap would make this team an instant AFC force for years.[/QUOTE]

Never thought of that...now that you mention it...

:eek:

Ummm..Brees is overrated...yeah that's it...you guys don't need him...move along nothing more to see...Sanchez is your guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

You are so right Brees is a HOF player who is still at the top of his game!!!!:eek:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4385613]He's been franchised - he doesn't really have a choice. He can try and shoot his way out, but more likely he'll just sit out and wait until they come to him with a decent deal.[/QUOTE]

as far as I know if he refuses to sign the franchise tender he can walk. And reports are he is "livid" w/ the franchise tender and won't sign it. Plus talks have been stalling since last August, now this bounty thing and forget it...the team is compromised, his rep could be compromised by association, and he still has plenty of football left. Not to mention before this bounty thing the Saints O was already losing a few key pieces...now suspensions, draft picks, fines, coaches missing? Oh boy..

Jets are a GREAT fit for him if it comes to it, IMO.

As an alternative, if Brees wont sign the tender/NO is making no progress and for some reason he can't hit the market, trade them Sanchez, Cro and a 1st to ease their "punishment". I'd do it in 2 seconds.

From a Saints perspective you get your picks back and a solid CB, young promising top 5 picked QB in return which they will need. And they avoid the additional terrible press of their QB holding out on top of everything else (which in combination will create a media **** blizzard), then it really makes sense for all parties IMO.

Sanchez, Cro, and a 1st for Brees = where do I sign.

And for the record, I am a Sanchez supporter.

Jets then lock up Brees, and probably have a bit left after dumping 2 huge salaries to bring him a weapon (Meachem).

Then we can just sit back and watch. :)
    Last edited by TurkJetFan; 03-06-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatriotReign;4385614]Never thought of that...now that you mention it...

:eek:

[B][SIZE="2"]Ummm..Brees is overrated...yeah that's it...you guys don't need him...move along nothing more to see...Sanchez is your guy.[/[/SIZE][/B]QUOTE]

Cute very Cute post:D

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385618]as far as I know if he refuses to sign the franchise tender he can walk. And reports are he is "livid" w/ the franchise tender and won't sign it. Plus talks have been stalling since last August, now this bounty thing and forget it...the team is compromised, his rep could be compromised by association, and he still has plenty of football left. Not to mention before this bounty thing the Saints O was already losing a few key pieces...now suspensions, draft picks, fines, coaches missing? Oh boy..

Jets are a GREAT fit for him if it comes to it, IMO.

As an alternative, if Brees wont sign the tender/NO is making no progress and for some reason he can't hit the market, trade them Cro and a 1st and a 2nd to ease their "punishment". I'd do it in 2 seconds.[/QUOTE]

The saints tagged him with the "exclusive" tag. This means that he cannot negotiate with other teams and receives a higher guaranteed salary than if he were tagged with the non-exclusive version which would net the saints two first rounders if they refused to match the offer. If it were the non exclusive tag teams would be lining up to sign him and put a poison pill in the deal so the saints could not match. Two first rounders for Brees seems like a no brainer IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385632]The saints tagged him with the "exclusive" tag. This means that he cannot negotiate with other teams and receives a higher guaranteed salary than if he were tagged with the non-exclusive version which would net the saints two first rounders if they refused to match the offer. If it were the non exclusive tag teams would be lining up to sign him and put a poison pill in the deal so the saints could not match. Two first rounders for Brees seems like a no brainer IMO.[/QUOTE]

Interesting.

Even still, in a trade I still do it.

Sanchez, Cro and a 1st (plus another pick if needed). HELL EVEN SEND THEM BART SCOTT TO REPLACE VILMA FOR THE WHAT IS DEFINITELY GOING TO BE AN EXTENDED PERIOD SUSPENSION. My guess is at least 6 weeks.

This has ****storm written allllll over it and the Jets should be ready to pounce. Which is even more reason Jets fans should be rooting for a Goddell ass stomping here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385634]Interesting.

Even still, in a trade I still do it.

Sanchez, Cro and a 1st (plus another pick if needed)

[B]This has ****storm written allllll over it[/B] and the Jets should be ready to pounce. Which is even more reason Jets fans should be rooting for a Goddell ass stomping here.[/QUOTE]

I agree. But the saints will wait for any punishments to be handed out before they make any crazy moves.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385632]The saints tagged him with the "exclusive" tag. This means that he cannot negotiate with other teams and receives a higher guaranteed salary than if he were tagged with the non-exclusive version which would net the saints two first rounders if they refused to match the offer. If it were the non exclusive tag teams would be lining up to sign him and put a poison pill in the deal so the saints could not match. Two first rounders for Brees seems like a no brainer IMO.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but I think poison pills were outlawed in the new cba. Regardless, as you mentioned, they used an exclusive designation on him.

And I agree with PR 100%, Jets don't need him, Sanchez is the future!;) What would you do with 5000+ yards passing anyway?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385639]I agree. But the saints will wait for any punishments to be handed out before they make any crazy moves.[/QUOTE]

oh totally agreed...but to be honest, we all know the punishment will be extensive. and if you don't think Brees knows that and will use this as leverage to go somewhere else and get paid then idk.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4385495]I think so. What they did was very egregious, but an entire draft would be excessive. Hefty fines, lengthy suspensions (maybe 'indefinate' for Williams), and a loss of the 2nd this year and first next, would send the right message to the rest of the league I think, and be an appropriate punishment.[/QUOTE]I agree, a whole draft is too much - it might fit the crime, but IMO it's mitigated by the fact that 'everyone' was doing it and neither the Saints nor Williams invented it.

Curious about one thing - there's been a line drawn, in the player/former player quotes I've heard, between bounties to injure players and bounties on big plays - the former is clearly wrong, and needs to stop; the latter happens, to some degree, at almost every level of football (we got plastic stars/logo stickers on our helmets in high school, bear claws in college + privileges like no sprints, ride on the blocking sled instead of driving it, etc.). I think the latter, even when monetary, is good, clean fun, but I'm also pretty sure it's what led to injury bounties. And while I think they'll tell the teams they have to stop the 'pay for play', do you think they'll try to stop it amongst players? And do you think it will/should have any effect on other levels who don't pay with cash, but rather prestige?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385618][B]as far as I know if he refuses to sign the franchise tender he can walk. [/B] And reports are he is "livid" w/ the franchise tender and won't sign it. Plus talks have been stalling since last August, now this bounty thing and forget it...the team is compromised, his rep could be compromised by association, and he still has plenty of football left. Not to mention before this bounty thing the Saints O was already losing a few key pieces...now suspensions, draft picks, fines, coaches missing? Oh boy..
    [/QUOTE]

That is incorrect - he has until September 1, or thereabouts, to sign the tender. He can refuse to report, but that doesn't allow him "to walk" as you describe it.

Of course, having your starting QB refuse to report to training camp is not really how you want to start your year off - doubly so when its Drew Brees who owns the City of New Orleans and the hearts of their fans.

My guess is that Loomis will try and sign him as quickly as possible. If that means coming up close to Brees's number, so be it. The Saints don't need a major QB controversey in addition to this Bounty craziness.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385649]oh totally agreed...but to be honest, we all know the punishment will be extensive. and if you don't think Brees knows that and will use this as leverage to go somewhere else and get paid then idk.[/QUOTE]

If the saints stick to their guns Brees cannot go anywhere else this year. All he can do is hold out or sign the tag, play the year out and walk next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385659]If the saints stick to their guns Brees cannot go anywhere else this year. All he can do is hold out or sign the tag, play the year out and walk next year.[/QUOTE]

yes, but will they? especially w/ the potential state of things in a few weeks?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4385658]That is incorrect - he has until September 1, or thereabouts, to sign the tender. He can refuse to report, but that doesn't allow him "to walk" as you describe it.

Of course, having your starting QB refuse to report to training camp is not really how you want to start your year off - doubly so when its Drew Brees who owns the City of New Orleans and the hearts of their fans.

[B]My guess is that Loomis will try and sign him as quickly as possible. If that means coming up close to Brees's number, so be it. The Saints don't need a major QB controversey in addition to this Bounty craziness.[/B][/QUOTE]

They've been trying since last August. And it's not progresing. I also agree w/ the last piece and if Brees won't budge then they [U]will[/U] have a major QB controversy unless they move him. Brees knows this, and I'm sure his agent does too.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4385664]yes, but will they? especially w/ the potential state of things in a few weeks?[/QUOTE]

Since Brees is not under contract they cannot trade him. Best case is Brees signs the tag and then is traded and renegotiates. IMO the only way this happens is if Goodell strips the saints of multiple (many) high picks, forcing the Saints to recoup. But that is a loooong shot.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385672]Since Brees is not under contract they cannot trade him. Best case is Brees signs the tag and then is traded and renegotiates. IMO the only way this happens is if Goodell strips the saints of multiple (many) high picks, forcing the Saints to recoup. But that is a loooong shot.[/QUOTE]

is it a long shot? i dont think it's a long shot at all..

I'd consider a 2nd and/or third this year and a first next year plus suspensions to be multiple/many.

It's really not as far off as you are thinking IMO.

if the Saints don't get slammed here i'd be absolutely shocked. and net/net this bounty punishment can result is the loss of Brees.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=petejet;4385672]Since Brees is not under contract they cannot trade him. Best case is Brees signs the tag and then is traded and renegotiates. [/QUOTE]

Not sure if any team would trade for Brees without a contract being already in place.

What would prevent him from doing the exact same thing he is doing with the Saints with the team that traded for him?