Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Saints "May" Be Disciplined for Bounty Program

[QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;4382174]Jonathan Vilma allegedly put $10,000 on the table for someone to "take out Favre" during the playoffs.

It's surprising to me considering Vilmas issues with his knees. He knows first hand how one hit could end your career. Disappointing.[/QUOTE]

wasn't there also a vicodin issue there too?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4382139]There's going to be more than a slap on the wrist here. [B]Goodell has made player safety his defining issue[/B].[/QUOTE]

+1

The Saints are going to get mauled over this.

[QUOTE=fuzzyjetsfan;4382174]Jonathan Vilma allegedly put $10,000 on the table for someone to "take out Favre" during the playoffs.

It's surprising to me considering Vilmas issues with his knees. He knows first hand how one hit could end your career. Disappointing.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's pretty messed up. Makes me wonder how much this happens on other teams. Rex had a whole chapter in his book decribing how the coaches "Dot" players on the opposing offense during gamplanning knowing that rattling those guys with big hits are key. Let's hope that bounty's were never involved.

[QUOTE=Austin;4382180]+1

The Saints are going to get mauled over this.[/QUOTE]

Yup. The Saints are ****ED.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SINYJets;4382182]Wow, that's pretty messed up. Makes me wonder how much this happens on other teams. Rex had a whole chapter in his book decribing how the coaches "Dot" players on the opposing offense during gamplanning knowing that rattling those guys with big hits are key. Let's hope that bounty's were never involved.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't shock me if they did. Buddy Ryan was all about the bounties.

I even remember '08 after the Ravens beat the Titans in the divisional round some reporter asked Rex about Chris Johnson leaving the game injured. I don't remember the comment, but Rex made some smart @$$ remark could have been taken to mean the Ravens were targeting him.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4382113]Wow, can you imagine if this was the Jets? There would be hell to pay. If the NFL does nothing about this I myself, will be outraged. Did anyone else know about this? And any idea of who may be suspended?[/QUOTE]

Hmmm the championship game where they deliberately hurt Bret Farve was one of the worst cases of sportsmanship and illegality that I have ever seen in professional sports and is one reason why I don't think much of NO SB victory:mad:

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4382113]

1) Wow, can you imagine if this was the Jets?
    2) Did anyone else know about this?
    3) And any idea of who may be suspended?[/QUOTE]

1) Pfffft! No need to imagine and "bounty hunting incentives" have been going on inside professional sports locker rooms for decades.

2) Every guy with bi-polar disorder and/or roid rage. Please, our own #6 was originally set as a target going into last season, but as soon as Mangold went down, all bets were off due to the "no challenge" rule.

3) No one is getting suspended unless they were absolute idiots and put this long standing "incentive program" in writing.

;)

Jets Insider VIP

I didn't know this about Vilma... If True....He's a disgrace and should be suspended and publically called out since that game theoretically ended a future HOF players ability to play the game at a high level.

The truth is Farve was never the same again......

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4382208]I didn't know this about Vilma... If True....He's a disgrace and should be suspended and publically called out since that game theoretically ended a future HOF players ability to play the game at a high level.

The truth is Farve was never the same again......[/QUOTE]

Remember those pictures of his body something like 1 month after the game. He was black and blue all over. He took an absolute pummeling in that game.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4382156]how's this?[/QUOTE]

Hey all I was saying was that I would be outraged if there was proof and they did nothing.

Funny thing is, according to the report, the documents proved nothing. The evidence that will put the Saints away came after those files found that they couldn't prove their case.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4382215]Hey all I was saying was that I would be outraged if there was proof and they did nothing.

Funny thing is, according to the report, the documents proved nothing. The evidence that will put the Saints away came after those files found that they couldn't prove their case.[/QUOTE]

How if there is no proof can they fine or take action against the Saints:huh:

If there is no proof or substantiation of these charges the mere printing of them or their dissemination is outrageous.

The NFL can't possibly take significant action on a rumor.....

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4382227]How if there is no proof can they fine or take action against the Saints:huh:

If there is no proof or substantiation of these charges the mere printing of them or their dissemination is outrageous.

The NFL can't possibly take significant action on a rumor.....[/QUOTE]

So then what's all this about??

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/gregg-williams-apologizes-for-terrible-mistake/[/url]

[QUOTE]“I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the ‘pay for performance’ program while I was with the Saints,” Williams said. “It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again.”[/QUOTE]

busted.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4382301]So then what's all this about??

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/02/gregg-williams-apologizes-for-terrible-mistake/[/url]

busted.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% my point was that if these allegations were false it never would have come out!!

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4382215]Hey all I was saying was that I would be outraged if there was proof and they did nothing.

Funny thing is, according to the report, the documents proved nothing. The evidence that will put the Saints away came after those files found that they couldn't prove their case.[/QUOTE]

ah gotcha totally misread.

once this gets major national attention, and it wlll, info will start flying and heads will start rolling.

Hall Of Fame
    Goodell will give this the Spygate treatment. We will never know what really happened.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;4382152]well this should be fun...
    should take the eyes off the JETS and their disaster for a while.[/QUOTE]

Cheating is cheating. NO should be disciplined -- no question about it. However, to put this in the same category as Spygate is out of bounds. I am not condoning cheating of any kind nor what the Saints are accused of doing.

Having said that, I am sure players are given some type of incentive/motivation all the time. To compare that with the illegal taping of your opponents is a clear distinction between the two.

The punishment should fit the crime. Punish NO, no question. However, what NE did attacks the sport, and all professional competitions, at its core. The integrity of the NFL was at stake. Hence, the destruction of the evidence.

Jets Insider VIP
    Their punishment should consist of having to watch "The Bounty Hunter" for 24 hours straight.

That had to be one of the most god-awful worst movies of all time.

All League
    A couple of older Redskins players have come out that Greg Williams did the same thing when he was with them.

[QUOTE=Washington Post]Only DE Phillip Daniels, now a member of Washington's front office, was willing to speak on the record. The reward for big hits was "hundreds to thousands of dollars," said the Redskins' players. Recalled one player whose still in the league, "If you took the star player out, he’d hook you up a little bit." The Rams shouldn't count on having Williams to coordinate their defense for 16 games.[/QUOTE]

I may be wrong, but didnt someone on the Saints lay Warner out pretty bad after he threw a pick in the playoffs?

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382324]Cheating is cheating. NO should be disciplined -- no question about it. However, to put this in the same category as Spygate is out of bounds. I am not condoning cheating of any kind nor what the Saints are accused of doing.

Having said that, I am sure players are given some type of incentive/motivation all the time. To compare that with the illegal taping of your opponents is a clear distinction between the two.

The punishment should fit the crime. Punish NO, no question. However, what NE did attacks the sport, and all professional competitions, at its core. The integrity of the NFL was at stake. Hence, the destruction of the evidence.[/QUOTE]

Goodell will make an example out of the Saints much like he did with the Patriots. But you'd be a fool to think that either team was the only one in the league committing their respective violations. They were just stupid enough to get caught.