Thread: Hey, Jets: Don't Sign Peyton Manning

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Jets: Don't Sign Peyton Manning

Nothing earth-shattering here, but I found it a good read:

Allen Barra, The Atlantic

To paraphrase Georges Clemenceau on Brazil, the New York Jets are the team of the future—and always will be. Except for a few relatively recent expansion teams, no franchise in NFL history has less of a past than the Jets. In 1969 Joe Namath led the Jets to one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets ever, turned the pro football world on its ear, and helped accelerate the merger of the National and American Football leagues. That's it. There's nothing else in the Jets history to brag about.

A couple of years ago it looked like things were going to be different when the brash and blustery Rex Ryan took over the coaching job. In his first year, 2009, the Jets were 9-7 and very nearly went to the Super Bowl before losing the conference championship to the Indianapolis Colts in a tough 30-17 loss. The following season they posted their best record in decades, 11-5, and again looked headed for the big game. They lost again in the conference championship game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-19, in a game in which they couldn't find a way to score in the fourth quarter from the one-yard line.

This past season, things spun entirely out of control: The Jets fell apart in the second half of the season, finishing 8-8, and the front office immediately began looking for scapegoats. It's worth noting that the Jets were just a single victory from matching the New York Giants' 9-7 regular season record. Nothing could be more bitter than the fact that the fortunes of both teams hinged on the next-to-the-last game of the season. On Christmas Eve the Jets lost to the Giants 29-14 in a sloppy, mistake-filled performance. From there, the Giants went on to their second Super Bowl victory in four years, and the Jets went back to saying "Wait till next year."

Inevitably, the finger was pointed at Mark Sanchez, the 25-year-old quarterback from the U of Southern California whose performance declined sharply over the last two seasons. Or, rather, his statistics declined sharply over the last two seasons: My observation is that Sanchez was exactly the same quarterback in 2011 that he was the year before, but everything around him went to hell.

The New York Daily News was particularly savage, quoting nearly a dozen anonymous Jets to the effect that their quarterback had gotten "lazy," that he "just doesn't have the mental toughness to be great," and that they "see the organization babying him. They see him with a sense of entitlement. He's being given all this and hasn't done anything."

Yes, God forbid pro football franchises should pamper their quarterbacks.

I wonder if some of the players the Daily News spoke to—those brave, anonymous, 300-plus pounders—played on either the offensive or defensive lines that were responsible Sanchez's poor season? Or are there really football players who believe that a quarterback's performance isn't dependent on his team's pass blocking, the running game, and defensive play? Do the players who think Sanchez is coddled believe that he should block for himself, run the ball himself, and perhaps go out and contribute to the defense?

Let's look at the defense first. The Jets went from one of the best defenses in the league, giving up 304 points for sixth place in the NFL to one of the worst last year, allowing 363, 20th. Sanchez's run support sagged terribly; the Jets went from average 4.4 yards/rush in 2010 to 3.8 in 2011. As for the pass blocking, it was simply atrocious. It's hard to rate pass blocking because a team with a mobile QB will generally give up fewer sacks than a team with a passer who usually stays in the pocket, but in terms of sacks, hits, and "hurries," Sanchez was one of the most maligned QBs in football last year.

I wonder if the Daily News' anonymous sources included offensive tackles Wayne Hunter and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who between them allowed 19 sacks, the league's worst performance by a pair of OTs.

It wasn't long till the Jets' management, one of the most consistently incompetent in the NFL, let slip that they might be interested in signing Peyton Manning, who almost certainly won't be back with the Colts this season. Again in the Daily News, Manish Mehta quoted a Jets source—anonymous of course—as saying, "C'mon, that's a no-brainer. If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year old Peyton Manning and you don't do it, then you're stupid. If I could get a healthy 36-year old Peyton Manning, then hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez."

Whoever the guy is who said that, he got one thing right: The Jets' front office operates with no brains. You have a bad team riddled by dissension and, as back-up quarterback Greg McElroy was brave enough to point out, selfishness and a bad work ethic, and the cure for this is to bring in a quarterback past his physical peak who missed all of last season because of a neck injury? It's astonishing that anyone who knows anything about football would even consider such a scenario; it certainly seems astonishing that Manning himself would even consider putting on a New York green jersey (though to his credit, he hasn't yet shown much enthusiasm for the deal).

But because it's the off season, and all the hype is centered around LeBron James and Jeremy Lin and the upcoming baseball season, no one is taking the Jets' statement of intentions too seriously. I think they are seriously underrating the New York Jets' capacity for stupidity and greed. I seriously doubt if anyone thinks that bringing Peyton to the Meadowlands would result in anything but another grievous neck injury, but on the bright side, it would be a financial bonanza for the franchise.

How soon the New York press forgets. In the winter of 2008 the Jets whipped up a fantasy in which the team could only be redeemed by signing another aging quarterback with a Super Bowl ring, 39-year-old Brett Favre. All Favre's season in New York did was put off the inevitable: namely, the acquisition and development of a young quarterback. Actually, it did do one other thing: signing Favre raked in millions for the Jets in the form of jerseys, sweatshirts and t-shirts. Such a cynical move is the one way an NFL franchise can boost their revenues without really doing much work.

The signing of a new superstar, whether or not it does much to actually help the team, is a virtual license to print money. Never mind that when the superstar leaves the team, racks of clothing go unsold. There are still rumors of swarms of kids down in Panama and Costa Rica wearing Jets jerseys with "Favre" on the back, that being apparently where NFL merchandising dumped the unsold apparel when Favre moved on to the Minnesota Vikings.

If Peyton Manning does come to the Jets, the New York media will have a field day with the "Two Mannings in New York" theme, and within a week, there will be tens of thousands of various items to which Peyton's name and homely all-American visage can be attached. What will the likely end be to Manning's tenure in New York? I'd give odds that by 2014 you can get a real bargain on Peyton Manning jerseys on your Central-American vacation.

[url]http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/03/hey-jets-dont-sign-peyton-manning/253894[/url]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fellow JI member, thanks for not been a cheap arse. However, this thread needs to be merged with the other dozens of manning-love threads.

SPORTS

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Sports;4382289]Fellow JI member, thanks for not been a cheap arse. However, this thread needs to be merged with the other dozens of manning-love threads.

SPORTS[/QUOTE]

This is an anti-Manning love thread. ;)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, but that's a dumb ****ing article...

Actually sounds like the anti-Manning people are either afraid of significant change or are just clinging to that SOJ idea in that they like to cry and spout the "Woe is me" Cubs fan garbage...

And the people who dislike the Jets overall, would rather them not sign Manning because they also like the idea of being able to beat up on the Jets and seeing the big talking coach lose as well.

Jets sign Manning and they instantly become top 5 in Vegas odds to win the Super Bowl. Why some of you don't understand that is beyond me. Franchise QB is everything...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;4382285]Nothing earth-shattering here, but I found it a good read:

Allen Barra, The Atlantic

To paraphrase Georges Clemenceau on Brazil, the New York Jets are the team of the future—and always will be. Except for a few relatively recent expansion teams, no franchise in NFL history has less of a past than the Jets. In 1969 Joe Namath led the Jets to one of the biggest Super Bowl upsets ever, turned the pro football world on its ear, and helped accelerate the merger of the National and American Football leagues. That's it. There's nothing else in the Jets history to brag about.

A couple of years ago it looked like things were going to be different when the brash and blustery Rex Ryan took over the coaching job. In his first year, 2009, the Jets were 9-7 and very nearly went to the Super Bowl before losing the conference championship to the Indianapolis Colts in a tough 30-17 loss. The following season they posted their best record in decades, 11-5, and again looked headed for the big game. They lost again in the conference championship game to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 24-19, in a game in which they couldn't find a way to score in the fourth quarter from the one-yard line.

This past season, things spun entirely out of control: The Jets fell apart in the second half of the season, finishing 8-8, and the front office immediately began looking for scapegoats. It's worth noting that the Jets were just a single victory from matching the New York Giants' 9-7 regular season record. Nothing could be more bitter than the fact that the fortunes of both teams hinged on the next-to-the-last game of the season. On Christmas Eve the Jets lost to the Giants 29-14 in a sloppy, mistake-filled performance. From there, the Giants went on to their second Super Bowl victory in four years, and the Jets went back to saying "Wait till next year."

Inevitably, the finger was pointed at Mark Sanchez, the 25-year-old quarterback from the U of Southern California whose performance declined sharply over the last two seasons. Or, rather, his statistics declined sharply over the last two seasons: My observation is that Sanchez was exactly the same quarterback in 2011 that he was the year before, but everything around him went to hell.

The New York Daily News was particularly savage, quoting nearly a dozen anonymous Jets to the effect that their quarterback had gotten "lazy," that he "just doesn't have the mental toughness to be great," and that they "see the organization babying him. They see him with a sense of entitlement. He's being given all this and hasn't done anything."

Yes, God forbid pro football franchises should pamper their quarterbacks.

I wonder if some of the players the Daily News spoke to—those brave, anonymous, 300-plus pounders—played on either the offensive or defensive lines that were responsible Sanchez's poor season? Or are there really football players who believe that a quarterback's performance isn't dependent on his team's pass blocking, the running game, and defensive play? Do the players who think Sanchez is coddled believe that he should block for himself, run the ball himself, and perhaps go out and contribute to the defense?

Let's look at the defense first. [B]The Jets went from one of the best defenses in the league, giving up 304 points for sixth place in the NFL to one of the worst last year, allowing 363, 20th. [/B]Sanchez's run support sagged terribly; the Jets went from average 4.4 yards/rush in 2010 to 3.8 in 2011. As for the pass blocking, it was simply atrocious. It's hard to rate pass blocking because a team with a mobile QB will generally give up fewer sacks than a team with a passer who usually stays in the pocket, but in terms of sacks, hits, and "hurries," Sanchez was one of the most maligned QBs in football last year.

I wonder if the Daily News' anonymous sources included offensive tackles Wayne Hunter and D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who between them allowed 19 sacks, the league's worst performance by a pair of OTs.

It wasn't long till the Jets' management, one of the most consistently incompetent in the NFL, let slip that they might be interested in signing Peyton Manning, who almost certainly won't be back with the Colts this season. Again in the Daily News, Manish Mehta quoted a Jets source—anonymous of course—as saying, "C'mon, that's a no-brainer. If you have a chance to get a healthy 36-year old Peyton Manning and you don't do it, then you're stupid. If I could get a healthy 36-year old Peyton Manning, then hell yeah, I would trade Sanchez."

Whoever the guy is who said that, he got one thing right: The Jets' front office operates with no brains. You have a bad team riddled by dissension and, as back-up quarterback Greg McElroy was brave enough to point out, selfishness and a bad work ethic, and the cure for this is to bring in a quarterback past his physical peak who missed all of last season because of a neck injury? It's astonishing that anyone who knows anything about football would even consider such a scenario; it certainly seems astonishing that Manning himself would even consider putting on a New York green jersey (though to his credit, he hasn't yet shown much enthusiasm for the deal).

But because it's the off season, and all the hype is centered around LeBron James and Jeremy Lin and the upcoming baseball season, no one is taking the Jets' statement of intentions too seriously. I think they are seriously underrating the New York Jets' capacity for stupidity and greed. I seriously doubt if anyone thinks that bringing Peyton to the Meadowlands would result in anything but another grievous neck injury, but on the bright side, it would be a financial bonanza for the franchise.

How soon the New York press forgets. In the winter of 2008 the Jets whipped up a fantasy in which the team could only be redeemed by signing another aging quarterback with a Super Bowl ring, 39-year-old Brett Favre. All Favre's season in New York did was put off the inevitable: namely, the acquisition and development of a young quarterback. Actually, it did do one other thing: signing Favre raked in millions for the Jets in the form of jerseys, sweatshirts and t-shirts. Such a cynical move is the one way an NFL franchise can boost their revenues without really doing much work.

The signing of a new superstar, whether or not it does much to actually help the team, is a virtual license to print money. Never mind that when the superstar leaves the team, racks of clothing go unsold. There are still rumors of swarms of kids down in Panama and Costa Rica wearing Jets jerseys with "Favre" on the back, that being apparently where NFL merchandising dumped the unsold apparel when Favre moved on to the Minnesota Vikings.

If Peyton Manning does come to the Jets, the New York media will have a field day with the "Two Mannings in New York" theme, and within a week, there will be tens of thousands of various items to which Peyton's name and homely all-American visage can be attached. What will the likely end be to Manning's tenure in New York? I'd give odds that by 2014 you can get a real bargain on Peyton Manning jerseys on your Central-American vacation.

[url]http://m.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/03/hey-jets-dont-sign-peyton-manning/253894[/url][/QUOTE]

good points on jets woes on offense contributing to marks demise last year!! terrible point on defense and points scored..how many points did offense give to other team based on turnovers last year..pure points plus great field position??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan1983;4382303]Sorry, but that's a dumb ****ing article...

Actually sounds like the anti-Manning people are either afraid of significant change or are just clinging to that SOJ idea in that they like to cry and spout the "Woe is me" Cubs fan garbage...

And the people who dislike the Jets overall, would rather them not sign Manning because they also like the idea of being able to beat up on the Jets and seeing the big talking coach lose as well.

Jets sign Manning and they instantly become top 5 in Vegas odds to win the Super Bowl. Why some of you don't understand that is beyond me. Franchise QB is everything...[/QUOTE]

Because some of us realize that Manning is one hit away from a career-ending injury. Then what do we do after we threw our young developing QB into the trash?

Why some of you don't understand that is beyond me?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    hopefully as meaningless as the advice in this article is, the Jets take heed of it and "don't sign Manning"

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

[B]Jets sign Manning and they instantly become top 5 in Vegas odds to win the Super Bowl. [/B]Why some of you don't understand that is beyond me. Franchise QB is everything...[/QUOTE]

Were the Colts top 5 when Chaddy and the Jets creamed them 41-0 in 02?? Were they top 5 when Sanchez and the Jets beat them in 2010?? While I think Peyton WAS a great QB no one knows what he is now nor do they know what Sanchez may become.. They is no lock in the NFL if there was the pre season Super team Eagles would have won the bowl..
    Last edited by Savage69; 03-02-2012 at 07:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4382366]Were the Colts top 5 when Chaddy and the Jets creamed them 41-0 in 02?? Were they top 5 when Sanchez and the Jets beat them in 2010?? While I think Peyton WAS a great QB no one knows what he is now nor do they know what Sanchez may become.. They is no lock in the NFL if they was the pre season Super team Eagles would have won the bowl..[/QUOTE]

I don't want that broke neck Manning under any circumstances. He didn't want to come to us back in 1997 so his punk a$$ stays at UT for another year pursuing a graduate degree.

He can take his broke neck somewhere else, and while he is at it, GFH....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets sign Manning and they instantly become top 5 in Vegas odds to win the Super Bowl. Why some of you don't understand that is beyond me. Franchise QB is everything...[/QUOTE]

Soooo, mortgage your future for 1 maaaybe 2 years of a old QB. Didn't we learn from Favre yet? Look where the Vikings are now. He has set that team backwards for the next 5 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4382371]Soooo, mortgage your future for 1 maaaybe 2 years of a old QB. Didn't we learn from Favre yet? Look where the Vikings are now. He has set that team backwards for the next 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. We're lucky that Favre move didn't kill us. I think there's too much invested in Sanchez to do anything but give him the keys to the car again next year. Eff Peyton, forgot all about his spurning of us way back when.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shevys;4382285]You have a bad team riddled by dissension and, [b]as back-up quarterback Greg McElroy was brave enough to point out,[/b] selfishness and a bad work ethic, and the cure for this is to bring in a quarterback past his physical peak who missed all of last season because of a neck injury? [/QUOTE]

Greg was "brave enough"? Okay..I think I now see that he(Allen Barra) stands in the McElroy-is-my-hero crowd. :rolleyes:

"Brave", my ass. "Rat-Bastard" is more appropriate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    seriously folks

the Atlantic Monthly -- that mecca of sports journalism?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B][SIZE="5"]GOOD READ, AND I AGREE ON ALL HIS POINTS EXCEPT HE DIDN'T FACTOR IN:[/SIZE][/B]

1) Miami will grab away the attention we built for the past 3 years - along with the potential profits.

2) Manning has more pride than Favre. Favre threw the season to compile stats regardless of wins and losses. Manning would never do that.

3) [B]The idea that if Sanchez has perfect conditions he will be great, basically means we will never win a Super Bowl with him. If there is one thing your opponent will do against you in the Super Bowl is take away your "perfect circumstances". It's a lose-lose. The first 30 min against the Steelers last year and our inability to score from the 1 with the Super Bowl on the line proves this idea perfectly :yes:[/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    you're shouting, ken

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;4382389]Greg was "brave enough"? Okay..I think I now see that he(Allen Barra) stands in the McElroy-is-my-hero crowd. :rolleyes:

"Brave", my ass. [B] "Rat-Bastard" is more appropriate.[/[/B]QUOTE]

true and out of liine for a rookie!!!!! but at least he put his name to it not like some of the other rat-cowards on the team..that who knows may be starters for us..who cares what mcelroy has to say???

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vin;4382389]Greg was "brave enough"? Okay..I think I now see that he(Allen Barra) stands in the McElroy-is-my-hero crowd. :rolleyes:

"Brave", my ass. "Rat-Bastard" is more appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4382393]seriously folks

the Atlantic Monthly -- that mecca of sports journalism?[/QUOTE]

LMAO. Somehow, this is in my inbox at the office. I've never subscribed to this magazine. Yet, they send me a free subscription. It is very good for covering politics/current events. But sports? :eek: Not at all.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... article too long to read :cool: ...

... sanchez is the qb for at least 1 more year ...

... RT, OLB, S need to be addressed not qb ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peyton Manning has absolutely no interest in playing for the jets. Everyone that has been paying attention to the 30+ times espn talks about it every day should know that. He is not coming here. We should stop even thinking about it. This drum is being beat almost more than jeremy lin and tim tebow