Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning throws hard at workout

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Peyton Manning throws hard at workout

I am completely against signing Manning. This is purely NFL topic related.

[URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7640741/source-indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-throws-duke-university-workout"]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7640741/source-indianapolis-colts-peyton-manning-throws-duke-university-workout[/URL]

Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning took another positive step forward in his recovery from neck surgery on Friday, conducting an aggressive throwing session in his Colts helmet, shoulder pads and jersey at Duke University, a source at the workout told ESPN.

Manning can be seen in a video clip posted late Friday on YouTube, independently verified as authentic, making apparent encouraging progress in his recovery from the surgery that sidelined him for the 2011 season. The session comes as a deadline approaches for the Colts' decision to exercise a $28 million option on March 8.

Manning can been seen completing passes in the video posted by a user who had access to a videotaped portion of the session near the Duke practice field.

Sources at Duke and close to Manning confirm he has been conducting aggressive throwing sessions in shoulder pads and helmet since Tuesday at Duke, where his former University of Tennessee offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe is now the head coach. It is Manning's second trip to work under the supervision of Cutcliffe.

Among those who have joined Manning in Durham, NC, include Colts teammates Dallas Clark and Austin Collie, as well as former teammate Brandon Stokley, sources said.

Manning was spotted at a local Durham restaurant Friday evening signing autographs during dinner, a source said.

Manning has increased his throwing regimen as Colts owner Jim Irsay contemplates a decision on whether to exercise a $28 million option by Thursday. Manning and Irsay also have had conversations about the veteran quarterback continuing his career as a Colt even though it is a certainty the team is set to use the No. 1 overall 2012 draft pick in Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck.

Several sources have told ESPN during the past month that Manning's throwing strength has dramatically improved as his nerves continue to regenerate following his latest neck surgery Sept. 8. Doctor Robert Watkins, who performed the single-level cervical fusion, has stated publicly that he has cleared Manning to resume his playing career. Colts owner Jim Irsay has stated Manning still needs to pass a team physical even though sources have said that Colts neurosurgeon Dr. Hank Feuer has also told Manning it would be safe to resume his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there were several derisive comments to my post below on another thread...
    Betting window is still open gentlemen.

"If Manning can play at 90% he stays, restructures his deal, and does a Greenbay deal where he plays but mentors Luck for a year (unlike the Wisconson perv) and slowly Luck fades in and Manning stays on as coach.

If Manning can't make 90%, he looks at all the faded stars that tried to hang in there with other teams, Namath, Farve..., and stays on to mentor and coach Luck, maybe as HC (hell, he calls all the plays when he's in anyway.)

Ok, the betting window is open. I say it's going to be a non-event when it comes. "

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    As one of the very few first-guessers on this topic I look forward to gloating when this guy lights people up this year.

Manning will be a beast. A highly motivated beast.

He is not "one hit away from a wheelchair" as some have suggested. His neck is as stable as any other QBs in the NFL. If he were to get injured it would not be bc of his neck being weak. At this point it is all about regaining the muscle memory and building up his strength.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382577]As one of the very few first-guessers on this topic I look forward to gloating when this guy lights people up this year.

Manning will be a beast. A highly motivated beast.

He is not "one hit away from a wheelchair" as some have suggested. His neck is as stable as any other QBs in the NFL. If he were to get injured it would not be bc of his neck being weak. At this point it is all about regaining the muscle memory and building up his strength.[/QUOTE]

Gloat about what? Everybody knows he could be the best QB ever, if he's healthy. You are not a doctor you are just guessing.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4382582]Gloat about what? Everybody knows he could be the best QB ever, if he's healthy. You are not a doctor you are just guessing.[/QUOTE]

I know a lot about spinal fusions and nerve damage relative to the average fan. I have family that have went through similar procedures and all have recovered. When you factor in that Peyton is nowhere near being an "average human being" and that his injury was not a result of contact but rather wear-and-tear a full recovery should have been expected as long as the structure was never compromised. It was never as serious as suggested. People like to romanticize everything.

People had him dead. He will be a beast. Thankfully the Jets will not have to play the Redskins for another 4 yrs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    truth is unless you have access to his MRI's and can do a full neurological exam on him... there is no way to say what his recovery can be like or how unstable his neck is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382588]I know a lot about spinal fusions and nerve damage relative to the average fan. I have family that have went through similar procedures and all have recovered. When you factor in that Peyton is nowhere near being an "average human being" and that his injury was not a result of contact but rather wear-and-tear a full recovery should have been expected as long as the structure was never compromised. It was never as serious as suggested. People like to romanticize everything.

People had him dead. He will be a beast. Thankfully the Jets will not have to play the Redskins for another 4 yrs.[/QUOTE]

I am not questioning your knowledge on spinal fusions. However, what makes Peyton different from your family is that he will be chased constantly by 350 lbs linemen and 250lb linebackers who are fast and athletic. at top speed with that weight, imo, Peyton is one hit away from being done -- I am talking about walking, not playing football, again.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382595]I am not questioning your knowledge on spinal fusions. However, what makes Peyton different from your family is that he will be chased constantly by 350 lbs linemen and 250lb linebackers who are fast and athletic. at top speed with that weight, imo, Peyton is one hit away from being done -- I am talking about walking, not playing football, again.[/QUOTE]

Well that is my point. Apparently he is in no greater danger than any other QB, every QB is "one-hit away". New reports say that his neck is structurally sound. I saw it on NFL Network, wish I had some links for you but I don't.

We will see. I am sure as we get closer to the day his $$$ is due more reports will "leak" and maybe we will even get some video of him throwing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382577]

His neck is as stable as any other QBs in the NFL.

[/QUOTE]

So let me get this straight, a NFL QB who had not one, not two, not three, but [B][U]four major neck surgeries[/U][/B] will have a neck that is just as stable as other NFL QB's who never had neck surgery?

Hell, all the kids riding the short bus are laughing their ass off at that comment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382598]Well that is my point. Apparently he is in no greater danger than any other QB, every QB is "one-hit away". New reports say that his neck is structurally sound. I saw it on NFL Network, wish I had some links for you but I don't.

We will see. I am sure as we get closer to the day his $$$ is due more reports will "leak" and maybe we will even get some video of him throwing.[/QUOTE]

I have seen and heard the report that his neck is completely healed and that he is in no greater danger then any other QB as far as paralysis risk.

The issue is now the regeneration of the nerve to regain his arm strength. All reports indicate that his throwing has dramatically improved of late.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes every qb is 1 hit away, but there's a difference between a guy who has never had a concussion vs a concussion riddled player. a player with a serious neck injury is just more risky than one without.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4382606]So let me get this straight, a NFL QB who had not one, not two, not three, but [B][U]four major neck surgeries[/U][/B] will have a neck that is just as stable as other NFL QB's who never had neck surgery?

Hell, all the kids riding the short bus are laughing their ass off at that comment.[/QUOTE]

Yay, more trolling...

:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4382606]So let me get this straight, a NFL QB who had not one, not two, not three, but [B][U]four major neck surgeries[/U][/B] will have a neck that is just as stable as other NFL QB's who never had neck surgery?

Hell, all the kids riding the short bus are laughing their ass off at that comment.[/QUOTE]

The quote I heard was that he is at no risk of further injury. No more than anybody else would be.

Maybe the fourth surgery was the first one that was actually a success. Maybe the first three simply did not work. Maybe if they would have gotten it right the first time we would never even know he had a neck issue. I don't know.

What makes it even more counter-intuitive is that some doctors speculate that his neck condition is genetic in nature since his family has a history of spine and neck issues. I dont know if there is any way a doctor can prove that for sure, but it has been suggested. And if that is the case then I would think he is at a huge risk.

These athletes are just built better than we are. It doesn't make sense for one of these guys who breaks their neck to walk again and yet some of them do. It doesnt make sense for a guy who tore his knee to shreds to be on the field six months later like nothing happened. They are freaks and the rules dont apply. I am sorry that I dont have any logical answer, but it may simply be that there isnt one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382621]The quote I heard was that he is at no risk of further injury. No more than anybody else would be.

Maybe the fourth surgery was the first one that was actually a success. Maybe the first three simply did not work. Maybe if they would have gotten it right the first time we would never even know he had a neck issue. I don't know.

What makes it even more counter-intuitive is that some doctors speculate that his neck condition is genetic in nature since his family has a history of spine and neck issues. I dont know if there is any way a doctor can prove that for sure, but it has been suggested.

These athletes are just built better than we are. It doesn't make sense for one of these guys who breaks their neck to walk again and yet some of them do. It doesnt make sense for a guy who tore his knee to shreds to be on the field six months later like nothing happened. They are freaks and the rules dont apply. I am sorry that I dont have any logical answer, but it may simply be that there isnt one.[/QUOTE]

You can't argue with someone who just wants to stir the sh*t.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4382625]You can't argue with someone who just wants to stir the sh*t.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize it was TX who responded to me. Had I noticed I would have taken into consideration the Brady v Manning aspect that might cloud his opinion.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope they are all laughing their ass's off at you

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets not gang up. His opinion is legitimate.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Play2Win;4382608]yes every qb is 1 hit away, but there's a difference between a guy who has never had a concussion vs a concussion riddled player. a player with a serious neck injury is just more risky than one without.[/QUOTE]

How many times has a hit forced him to miss a game? If he can throw like he normally can and we don't, at least, send out feelers we are morons. And I am a Sanchez apologist, I Defend the kid all the time, but Peyton Manning is an all time great.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4382621]The quote I heard was that he is at no risk of further injury. No more than anybody else would be.

[/QUOTE]

That's fine, I'm sure we will read numerous differing opinions on this.

But common sense dictates that a player with 4 major surgeries would be more at risk than a QB without surgery.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The doctor reporting this must make a solid, public opinion. No "sources" or "those close to Manning". Part of this entire fiasco is posturing by Manning and by Irsay.

Until there is widespread public knowledge that he's fine, the Jets must approach this with care (as everyone else should).