Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets "SAFETY" watch

Draft Barron and pencil him in for the next 5 years. Safety has been an issue for a LONG time.

Draft a RB in Rd 2.
    Sign Braylon Edwards and an OL in free agency.

Later!

[QUOTE=C Mart;4382769]Considering FA options are limited (see link at the bottom) and the draft class is weak it leads more credence to the Jets selecting Barron in the 1st round...

Yes, maybe it's 6-10 spots too high (if they can't trade down) for him but why risk losing a chance at getting (by most Draft Reports) a damn good Safety that can start Day 1 and make a contribution.

We all know the Safety position if it isn't the #1 need, it's in the top 3. Heck the Jets need 2 S's...So take Barron and address other needs via FA and the draft...

[B][SIZE=2][URL="http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/02/29/bamas-barron-plans-on-being-a-hit-at-nfl-level/"]‘Bama’s Barron Plans on Being a Hit at NFL Level [/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Posted by Eric Allen on February 29, 2012 – 2:50 pm

The Jets need a safety or two and their shopping may start in a couple of weeks when the NFL’s league year commences. Both Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool will be unrestricted free agents on March 13, so that leaves starter Eric Smith and reserve Tracy Wilson on the roster. Even if the Green & White add a safety in free agency or via a trade, they may be looking to add another one on draft weekend.

[B]Alabama’s Mark Barron is the top safety prospect in the draft and he will probably be the only S selected in April’s first round. The 6’2”, 218-pounder will likely merit strong consideration from the Jets if he is still on the board in the middle of the opening round.[/B]

“You keep on hearing about Mark Barron, the safety from Alabama, is a good fit for what they need and that’s kind of where he should go,” ESPN’s Todd McShay told [B][I]newyorkjets.com[/I][/B] at the combine. “He had double-hernia surgery last month, and everyone says it’ll be fine and it’s something that will not affect him long-term or even in the short term when you’re talking about his rookie season. I think he would be a great fit there.”

[B]Barron, who plans on working out in late March, is NFL-ready after [U]playing both safety positions for Nick Saban at ‘Bama[/U].[/B]

[B]“We played in a very difficult defense, first of all,” he said. “We did a lot of different schemes. My role was, as far as communicating, I had a lot to do with that on the back end. And I felt like sometimes I brought some energy to it with the hits I make and things of that nature. I did a lot of different things, so I can’t pinpoint one exact role for me on defense.”

The versatile Barron lined up at free safety this past season and strong safety the year before.[/B] He was known not only as a big hitter — he collected 12 interceptions during his collegiate career.

“He is physical. He will come up and hit you,” McShay said. “The thing about Barron is there is no aspect of the game that he doesn’t do well. He’s not the best cover safety, if you will. He has some limitations in terms of man-to-man, but he can cover the tight end. He has good range in terms of being back. In being the high man in the three-safety or three-defensive-backs look, he comes up and is physical against the run. He can play in the box.

“I just love the way he plays the game, the tempo he brings and the leadership he brings in the secondary. It’s hard to imagine that he’s not a successful impact type of player who can be a leader on a defense.”

When asked by a reporter if he prefers to make a bone-crushing hit or an interception, Barron leaned to the takeaway but acknowledged both have their place.

“I like making plays, period. I would say interception because that’s more of a game-changer. That affects the game more,” he said. “But I like hitting [I]and[/I] making interceptions.”

Quality safeties often have to wait around for a bit on draft weekend. Ed Reed, the Miami product who played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore and already has a jacket ready at the Hall of Fame, was selected No. 24 overall by the Ravens in the 2002 draft. A year later, USC’s Troy Polamalu went No. 16 overall to Pittsburgh. The 49ers’ Dashon Goldson, a Pro Bowler who had six interceptions in 2001 and is scheduled be a prized free agent this spring, was a fourth-round selection out of Washington in the 2007 draft.

“If a guy is a good player, then he’s just a good player,” Barron said. “I don’t see why position-wise, if you have a better player that’s a safety and then you have a corner that may not be a better football player than that guy, I don’t see a reason why that corner should go ahead of that safety if that safety is a better player. I’ve seen that happen, so I just don’t understand it. But that’s not my position to pick players and who gets drafted where.”

Not a huge fan of the NFL’s safety rules, Barron plans on continuing his aggressive play at the next level.

“Honestly, I don’t like them because the way I’ve been taught to play the game is hit and I hit hard,” he said. “I guess I’ll have to make some adjustments. Hopefully I’ll definitely make them — I’m not sure if I will because like I said that’s the way I was taught to play the game.”

[URL]http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/02/29/bamas-barron-plans-on-being-a-hit-at-nfl-level/[/URL]

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=dodgerblue][B]2012 NFL Free Agents: Safeties[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012S.php[/URL][/QUOTE]

Sounds like a solid pick at 16 that fills a need.

[QUOTE=bman;4382809]Draft Barron and pencil him in for the next 5 years. Safety has been an issue for a LONG time.

Draft a RB in Rd 2.
    Sign Braylon Edwards and an OL in free agency.

Later![/QUOTE]

I agree but Round 2 I would go OL. I think McKnight can be our guy.

[QUOTE=jetlifer;4382802]I'll bet we can trade back a few slots and still get Barron. There are lots of quality OL and LBs that can be taken in the later rounds.[/QUOTE]

You are a gambler. :) I know you are probably thinking of getting more picks but what if we lost out on Barron when he fills a need for us? I'm more inclined to just take him at 16 if he is there.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382821]You are a gambler. :) I know you are probably thinking of getting more picks but what if we lost out on Barron when he fills a need for us? I'm more inclined to just take him at 16 if he is there.[/QUOTE]

I agree hes an instant upgrade and starter immediately.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4382826]I agree hes an instant upgrade and starter immediately.[/QUOTE]

+1

But almost anyone is an upgrade over Smith. :(

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382821]You are a gambler. :) I know you are probably thinking of getting more picks but what if we lost out on Barron when he fills a need for us? I'm more inclined to just take him at 16 if he is there.[/QUOTE]

Well said!

Join me in "The Jets Need to Draft Mark Barron in the 1st Round Club"...It's free! :D

[QUOTE=C Mart;4382828]Well said!

Join me in "The Jets Need to Draft Mark Barron in the 1st Round Club"...It's free! :D[/QUOTE]

CMart,

it does make sense for many reasons -- #1, it fills an immediate need; #2, the 2 young TEs in NE we play twice each year; #3, it solidifies the strength of our club, namely our defense and the secondary in particular....very important when we have Tammy twice each year. #4, good safeties are just hard to find and he comes from a solid program.

So yes, add me to your 1st round club. If the Jets trade up to get TRich, I am going to be pissed. That is not a need.

Jets need to bring BE back. Get Barron in the 1st round, and then rebuild the o and d lines in the draft.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382830]CMart,

it does make sense for many reasons -- #1, it fills an immediate need; #2, the 2 young TEs in NE we play twice each year; #3, it solidifies the strength of our club, namely our defense and the secondary in particular....very important when we have Tammy twice each year. #4, good safeties are just hard to find and he comes from a solid program.

So yes, add me to your 1st round club. If the Jets trade up to get TRich, I am going to be pissed. That is not a need.

Jets need to bring BE back. Get Barron in the 1st round, and then rebuild the o and d lines in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree on all 4 of your points..Exactly my thoughts too! I'd add a #5..By all accounts, Barron is a leader, called all the DB plays (just like Leonhard)...And I'll also by ticked if the Jets trade up to pick TRich.

I also agree with signing BE (if healthy)...I'm going with an OLB in the 2nd (McClellin)..And then get an OL prospect later in the draft..

Join me in "The Jets Need to Draft Mark Barron in the 1st Round Club"...It's free! :D[/QUOTE]

Im in.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4382846]Completely agree on all 4 of your points..Exactly my thoughts too! I'd add a #5..By all accounts, Barron is a leader, called all the DB plays (just like Leonhard)...And I'll also by ticked if the Jets trade up to pick TRich.

I also agree with signing BE (if healthy)...I'm going with an OLB in the 2nd (McClellin)..And then get an OL prospect later in the draft..[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%

All League
    When you can get in the QBs face consistently It don't matter who is playing safety. Giants had a slow linebacker covering GronK. Draft passrushers in the first two rounds and I'll play safety

All League

Barron would fill a need, but at 16 he may not be the best avalible player and this is how I would go. Should the Jets trade back a few picks I'm all in.:yes:

[QUOTE=BRONX JET;4382861]When you can get in the QBs face consistently It don't matter who is playing safety. Giants had a slow linebacker covering GronK. Draft passrushers in the first two rounds and I'll play safety[/QUOTE]

I hear what you are saying. But who is that domianting pass rusher that will be there at #16? Are you suggesting we get Mario Williams in FA?

Also, that slow NYG linebacker was aided in the fact that Gronk was hindered due to his injury. How many times do we need to see a TE beating the living crap out of us. TEs seem to have a field day against the Jets.

In my opinion, the Jets need to draft Barron at 16 -- hopefully he is there.

[QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;4382866]Barron would fill a need, but at 16 he may not be the best avalible player and this is how I would go. Should the Jets trade back a few picks I'm all in.:yes:[/QUOTE]

Here is the risk associated with that: other teams need a quality safety too that can step in immediately like Barron. If the Jets move back, he maybe gone. Hence, we are screwed. Then next year, when we see a mediocre TE carving up our defense (Smith) like a turkey on Thanksgiving, we will regret passing up/gambling when we could have had Barron at 16.

Well Scouts, Inc has him as the 12th rated player with a 94 rating so I guess one could look at this as a good value pick against the other players.

Hall Of Fame
    Why do people keep mentioning Landry?

Seriously--it's gotta stop.

_

[QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;4382866]Barron would fill a need, but at 16 he may not be the best avalible player and this is how I would go. Should the Jets trade back a few picks I'm all in.:yes:[/QUOTE]

I hear ya...But what if he's the 23 BPA and you can't trade back?

All League
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4382873]I hear ya...But what if he's the 23 BPA and you can't trade back?[/QUOTE]

Best avalible player. If it is Barron so be it but if others such as TR go there:yes:

[QUOTE=jetlifer;4382871]Well Scouts, Inc has him as the 12th rated player with a 94 rating so I guess one could look at this as a good value pick against the other players.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Reaffirming why, if I am the Jets, I take him at 16. So the question begs to be asked given the information you just posted. If he is still on the board at #13, if you are the Jets, do you move up and grab him like we did with Revis? Or, wait and see if he falls to us at 16?