Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets "SAFETY" watch

All Pro

Jets "SAFETY" watch

I Don't know about you but it's going to be very intresting to see who we sign at "SAFETY" to roam our secondnary this season.

Lowery from Jax. who we shouldn't have let go
    Landry from DC ??? good physical specimen
    Smith from SF ??????? potential
    that dude from Dallas dont even remember his name he gets hurt a lot
    might not even be available and a host of others"

Come on Mike "T" TREX where you at? time to get busy..

Lowery is not the answer. He did ok at Safety, but we need a playmaker like Ed Reed there.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4382691] but we need a playmaker like Ed Reed there.[/QUOTE]

We'll find one. They're everywhere!

All Pro
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4382695]We'll find one. They're everywhere![/QUOTE]

yeah I hear ya! but to find the right one that fits our system is like searching for the right piece to the puzzle.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=TechJet;4382698]yeah I hear ya! but to find the right one that fits our system is like searching for the right piece to the puzzle.[/QUOTE]

What I mean is Ed Reed's are a dime a dozen. Who doesn't have a HOF safety?

No on Landry. Yes, he has the physical tools but the guy is often injured. Not what we need especially with the two TE's in NE. He is also weak in pass coverage.

Go get Smith and sign Darren Sharper as a backup for depth.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382704]No on Landry. Yes, he has the physical tools but the guy is often injured. Not what we need especially with the two TE's in NE. He is also weak in pass coverage.

Go get Smith and sign Darren Sharper as a backup for depth.[/QUOTE]

Sharper is he still playin ball? I thought he hung those cleats up. dude is like
    injury prone in today's safety age. Landry as a back up yeah, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Sign Michael Griffin and draft one in the third/fourth round.....done.

All Pro
    Landry is going to be overpriced, he is not a great tackler, and he is one pee test from a steroid suspension.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4382695]We'll find one. They're everywhere![/QUOTE]

We dont need another slug is what im saying. Already have them.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382704]No on Landry. Yes, he has the physical tools but the guy is often injured. Not what we need especially with the two TE's in NE. He is also weak in pass coverage.

Go get Smith and sign Darren Sharper as a backup for depth.[/QUOTE]

Sharper retired...I posted that in the Reggie Smith thread

Landry if hes healthy. He's a hard hitting beast and that's what we need.

don't be surprised

don't be surprised.if the jets starting safety is already on the roster.it might be emanuel cook.

Considering FA options are limited (see link at the bottom) and the draft class is weak it leads more credence to the Jets selecting Barron in the 1st round...

Yes, maybe it's 6-10 spots too high (if they can't trade down) for him but why risk losing a chance at getting (by most Draft Reports) a damn good Safety that can start Day 1 and make a contribution.

We all know the Safety position if it isn't the #1 need, it's in the top 3. Heck the Jets need 2 S's...So take Barron and address other needs via FA and the draft...

[B][SIZE=2][URL="http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/02/29/bamas-barron-plans-on-being-a-hit-at-nfl-level/"]‘Bama’s Barron Plans on Being a Hit at NFL Level [/URL][/SIZE][/B]

Posted by Eric Allen on February 29, 2012 – 2:50 pm

The Jets need a safety or two and their shopping may start in a couple of weeks when the NFL’s league year commences. Both Jim Leonhard and Brodney Pool will be unrestricted free agents on March 13, so that leaves starter Eric Smith and reserve Tracy Wilson on the roster. Even if the Green & White add a safety in free agency or via a trade, they may be looking to add another one on draft weekend.

[B]Alabama’s Mark Barron is the top safety prospect in the draft and he will probably be the only S selected in April’s first round. The 6’2”, 218-pounder will likely merit strong consideration from the Jets if he is still on the board in the middle of the opening round.[/B]

“You keep on hearing about Mark Barron, the safety from Alabama, is a good fit for what they need and that’s kind of where he should go,” ESPN’s Todd McShay told [B][I]newyorkjets.com[/I][/B] at the combine. “He had double-hernia surgery last month, and everyone says it’ll be fine and it’s something that will not affect him long-term or even in the short term when you’re talking about his rookie season. I think he would be a great fit there.”

[B]Barron, who plans on working out in late March, is NFL-ready after [U]playing both safety positions for Nick Saban at ‘Bama[/U].[/B]

[B]“We played in a very difficult defense, first of all,” he said. “We did a lot of different schemes. My role was, as far as communicating, I had a lot to do with that on the back end. And I felt like sometimes I brought some energy to it with the hits I make and things of that nature. I did a lot of different things, so I can’t pinpoint one exact role for me on defense.”

The versatile Barron lined up at free safety this past season and strong safety the year before.[/B] He was known not only as a big hitter — he collected 12 interceptions during his collegiate career.

“He is physical. He will come up and hit you,” McShay said. “The thing about Barron is there is no aspect of the game that he doesn’t do well. He’s not the best cover safety, if you will. He has some limitations in terms of man-to-man, but he can cover the tight end. He has good range in terms of being back. In being the high man in the three-safety or three-defensive-backs look, he comes up and is physical against the run. He can play in the box.

“I just love the way he plays the game, the tempo he brings and the leadership he brings in the secondary. It’s hard to imagine that he’s not a successful impact type of player who can be a leader on a defense.”

When asked by a reporter if he prefers to make a bone-crushing hit or an interception, Barron leaned to the takeaway but acknowledged both have their place.

“I like making plays, period. I would say interception because that’s more of a game-changer. That affects the game more,” he said. “But I like hitting [I]and[/I] making interceptions.”

Quality safeties often have to wait around for a bit on draft weekend. Ed Reed, the Miami product who played for Rex Ryan in Baltimore and already has a jacket ready at the Hall of Fame, was selected No. 24 overall by the Ravens in the 2002 draft. A year later, USC’s Troy Polamalu went No. 16 overall to Pittsburgh. The 49ers’ Dashon Goldson, a Pro Bowler who had six interceptions in 2001 and is scheduled be a prized free agent this spring, was a fourth-round selection out of Washington in the 2007 draft.

“If a guy is a good player, then he’s just a good player,” Barron said. “I don’t see why position-wise, if you have a better player that’s a safety and then you have a corner that may not be a better football player than that guy, I don’t see a reason why that corner should go ahead of that safety if that safety is a better player. I’ve seen that happen, so I just don’t understand it. But that’s not my position to pick players and who gets drafted where.”

Not a huge fan of the NFL’s safety rules, Barron plans on continuing his aggressive play at the next level.

“Honestly, I don’t like them because the way I’ve been taught to play the game is hit and I hit hard,” he said. “I guess I’ll have to make some adjustments. Hopefully I’ll definitely make them — I’m not sure if I will because like I said that’s the way I was taught to play the game.”

[URL]http://blog.newyorkjets.com/2012/02/29/bamas-barron-plans-on-being-a-hit-at-nfl-level/[/URL]

[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=dodgerblue][B]2012 NFL Free Agents: Safeties[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012S.php[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-03-2012 at 12:13 PM.

[QUOTE=jets rooter;4382754]don't be surprised.if the jets starting safety is already on the roster.it might be emanuel cook.[/QUOTE]

:huh: Cook was waived by the Jets in December '11
    Last edited by C Mart; 03-03-2012 at 12:14 PM.

All League
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4382771]:huh: Cook was waived in December '11[/QUOTE]

Still on Ravens roster I believe.

[QUOTE=TechJet;4382711]Sharper is he still playin ball? I thought he hung those cleats up. dude is like
    injury prone in today's safety age. Landry as a back up yeah, but that's not gonna happen any time soon.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. Didn't realize he retired until CMart provided the link.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4382748]Sharper retired...I posted that in the Reggie Smith thread[/QUOTE]

Yes, thank you for providing that information. I posted this before I saw your post in the other thread. Thanks again.

I'll bet we can trade back a few slots and still get Barron. There are lots of quality OL and LBs that can be taken in the later rounds.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4382800]Yes, thank you for providing that information. I posted this before I saw your post in the other thread. Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

No sweat. Pick Barron in the 1st

[QUOTE=jetlifer;4382802]I'll bet we can trade back a few slots and still get Barron. There are lots of quality OL and LBs that can be taken in the later rounds.[/QUOTE]

Shea McClellin OLB in the 2nd...I posted a report of him in the Jarret Johnson thread

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241954&page=2[/url]