Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFLPA and League Looking to Increase 2012 Cap

NFLPA and League Looking to Increase 2012 Cap

This would certainly benefit the Jets given their cap situation...of course it would benefit everyone, but teams struggling to get under/teetering near the max would likely reap the most benefit.

[QUOTE]A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com the league and NFLPA are "scrambling" to increase the 2012 salary cap.

Provisions in the new CBA have left teams with less cap space than they were anticipating, prompting the NFLPA to seek to "re-do the numbers." The league has apparently shown a "certain amount of willingness" to cooperate with the effort because it "doesn’t want the players to think they got a bad deal." A resolution is expected within the next 10 days.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4383106]This would certainly benefit the Jets given their cap situation...of course it would benefit everyone, but teams struggling to get under/teetering near the max would likely reap the most benefit.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't seem right to punish teams who have made the effort to manage the cap and reward those who have spent like drunken sailors. Goodell is going to ruin this league bit by bit.

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4383115]Doesn't seem right to punish teams who have made the effort to manage the cap and reward those who have spent like drunken sailors. Goodell is going to ruin this league bit by bit.[/QUOTE]

welllll, ALL teams will get more cap space...so teams that are under will have even more to play with so not sure how they are being punished.

it's clearly more a move for the players then the teams.

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4383115]Doesn't seem right to punish teams who have made the effort to manage the cap and reward those who have spent like drunken sailors. Goodell is going to ruin this league bit by bit.[/QUOTE]

He's right. It's not the Jets or the Pats fault that the Raiders are 22 million dollars over the cap.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE]A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk.com the league and NFLPA are "scrambling" to increase the 2012 salary cap.

Provisions in the new CBA have left teams with less cap space than they were anticipating, prompting the NFLPA to seek to "re-do the numbers." The league has apparently shown a "certain amount of willingness" to cooperate with the effort because it "doesnít want the players to think they got a bad deal." A resolution is expected within the next 10 days.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4383106]This would certainly benefit the Jets given their cap situation...of course it would benefit everyone, but teams struggling to get under/teetering near the max would likely reap the most benefit.[/QUOTE]

The Rooney Rule 2.0

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4383130]He's right. It's not the Jets or the Pats fault that the Raiders are 22 million dollars over the cap.[/QUOTE]

not for nothing, the jets cap is tight also.

i mean if only select teams were getting an uplift i'd be pissed.

but if all teams are it's not a big deal IMO.

All League

Years ago, I was working on a merger agreement (as the finance guy). The lawyers hammered out the wording based upon what we wanted to happen if certain things happened. Both sides in the transaction had very expensive teams of NYC M&A attorneys working on the wording.

Since I am also an attorney, I was tasked with reviewing the agreement before we signed it. I discovered that the formulas baked into the agreement would not work as intended if certain things happened. It happens.

From what I am hearing, the parties expected that the Salary Cap would be X if certain things happened. Everyone planned accordingly. Unfortunately, it appears the language baked into the contract doesn't work as expected.

In situations where that happens, parties that need to be long term partners and need to have some level of trust generally work things out. Otherwise, the next contract negotiation becomes a nightmare.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4383140]Years ago, I was working on a merger agreement (as the finance guy). The lawyers hammered out the wording based upon what we wanted to happen if certain things happened. Both sides in the transaction had very expensive teams of NYC M&A attorneys working on the wording.

Since I am also an attorney, I was tasked with reviewing the agreement before we signed it. I discovered that the formulas baked into the agreement would not work as intended if certain things happened. It happens.

From what I am hearing, the parties expected that the Salary Cap would be X if certain things happened. Everyone planned accordingly. Unfortunately, it appears the language baked into the contract doesn't work as expected.

In situations where that happens, parties that need to be long term partners and need to have some level of trust generally work things out. Otherwise, the next contract negotiation becomes a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

excellent perspective!! :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    They should change the practice rules while they are at it. The "no pads" has killed the Jets.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4383130]He's right. It's not the Jets or the Pats fault that the Raiders are 22 million dollars over the cap.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. And why should they not have to pay the price by having to make a few painful moves?

[QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4383155]Exactly. And why should they not have to pay the price by having to make a few painful moves?[/QUOTE]

it's all relative...

other teams with more space will have even more, so the market will drive up prices...

plus we have no idea how large this potential increase will be...if its $20MM that's a whole lot...if it's $5MM then it's not as big a deal.

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4383140]Years ago, I was working on a merger agreement (as the finance guy). The lawyers hammered out the wording based upon what we wanted to happen if certain things happened. Both sides in the transaction had very expensive teams of NYC M&A attorneys working on the wording.

In situations where that happens, parties that need to be long term partners and need to have some level of trust generally work things out. Otherwise, the next contract negotiation becomes a nightmare.[/QUOTE]

Although you make an excellent point, the cap is going to rise significantly in 2013 when the new tv contracts kick in. That alone should be good enough for the nflpa.
    Last edited by GronkWelkhead; 03-03-2012 at 05:22 PM.

that would be awesome... 2012 cap increase + trade cromartie + trade scott + cut smith = helloooo mario williams LOL

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Let's make it flag football and no cap limit.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4383134]The Rooney Rule 2.0[/QUOTE]

+100

THIS.

The league is only considering this because the Steelers are almost $30 million over the cap right now. The league would prefer that one of its flagship franchises not be forced to gut their team.

[QUOTE=JB1089;4383168]+100

THIS.

The league is only considering this because the Steelers are almost $30 million over the cap right now. The league would prefer that one of its flagship franchises not be forced to gut their team.[/QUOTE]

Pasts fans will think it is because Roger is an ex employee...

No matter the reason, we're better off for it.

[IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5116916182_2af2373afc.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Apache 51;4383167]Let's make it flag football and no cap limit.[/QUOTE]

It's heading that way...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4383190][IMG]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5116916182_2af2373afc.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I thought so to - puts it in an easily understandable perspective. Glad you think so to, irrespective of your trite image.

So says a source with knowledge of the situation, not LaConfora, Mort, Wally Cox, Schefter, Profootball talk!!!

There are only about 5 teams out of 32 in any kind of cap difficulty. The jets have not even had to cut anybody. The Steelers cut 3 guys whose average age is 35. I think there have been less cuts this year than in years past.

If the league want to help cash strapped teams let them borrow from next years cap, like they did last year.