Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets interseted in Jason Campbell

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4383959]How anyone could want chad henne on this team is beyond me. He is so bad, words cannot describe.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, as if knowing the offense of our new OC somehow supersedes the fact that he isn't a good player.

Campbell would be an excellent backup. The guy has dealt with bad teams, multiple offensive systems, constant scrutiny and been a professional the whole time.

Plus he is just good enough to make sanchez have something to fear, not a lot to fear as mark is better, but at least campbell will push him.

As one other side note, the fact that people think that chad henna can actually push sanchez is so frustrating. What has henne EVER done in the league? Mark won playoff games for us, none of you should be allowed back on the bandwagon next year.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... sounds like the perfect choice to me ...

l_j_r

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4383865]He's perfect.

Good enough to push Mark but not good enough to win.

Henne would have too much an advantage coming in knowing the system.

Let's be real, we dont want our back up qb to beat Mark out - Mark works out or this franchise is screwed. Campbell would be a great addition.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself. Most of us want the JETS to win a SB. If Mark can do it fine. If not, someone else has to do it! You want to limit our chances because you are a Sanchez fan. IMO that is ridiculous! This is a team sport and our loyalty should be to the JETS and not individual players!

I want a guy brought in who is capable of beating out SANCHEZ thus forcing him to do all he can to retain his job! I want the JETS to benefit from any QB competition. Sanchez should never have the job handed to him due to poor competition at backup QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4383972]Agreed, as if knowing the offense of our new OC somehow supersedes the fact that he isn't a good player.

Campbell would be an excellent backup. The guy has dealt with bad teams, multiple offensive systems, constant scrutiny and been a professional the whole time.

Plus he is just good enough to make sanchez have something to fear, not a lot to fear as mark is better, but at least campbell will push him.

As one other side note, the fact that people think that chad henna can actually push sanchez is so frustrating. What has henne EVER done in the league? Mark won playoff games for us, none of you should be allowed back on the bandwagon next year.[/QUOTE]

How many times has Henne beaten Sanchez in head to head competition? Which QB had the better team surrounding him? Its nice to be a fan but reality matters!

I think that Henne is a good candidate to come in and compete with Sanchez. If Mark wins the competition or Henne wins it, it really doesn't matter, the Jets are the real winners! They should have a strong QB as our starter and a guy capable of starting if the starter gets snicked up and is out a few games. This is about the TEAM winning and not our favorite players retaining a job because we like them! EVERY player must win their job against good competition. It makes the team stronger and that is what it is all about! JUST WIN!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 03-04-2012 at 09:19 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4383912]Ok, so then sign Jason Campbell, cut Sanchez and then sign Mario Williams with the new cap room.

Upgrade at both QB and OLB.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, except for one slight problem.

It's called dead money. His Cap savings just wouldn't justify it.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4383872]+1

Besides, I read somewhere (if I recall correctly, PFT.com) that Henne will comman $4/5 mil/yr. If that's what he wants, pass. He's crazy. No way is he getting that kind of money.[/QUOTE]
    Campbell over the golden hinny

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If we need a QB on the cheap, Kellen Clemens makes sense. He looked good last year with St Louis

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4383999]Campbell over the golden hinny[/QUOTE]

If it is Campbell, I am very happy. I think he is a perfect backup for Mark. I like him much better than Henne for sure.

[QUOTE=JonEJet;4384004]If we need a QB on the cheap, Kellen Clemens makes sense. He looked good last year with St Louis[/QUOTE]

No thanks. Been there; done that. Not sure KC can QB this team for several games if needed due to an injury to Mark.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4383923][B]We want the best possible backup for the cheapest possible price. Some of these comments about wanting someone decent but not too good because it might threaten sanchez are bewildering.
    [/B]
    Time for our 1st string Qb to earn his spot by play not because it is handed to him on a silver platter. If he is the type of guy we think and hope he is he will come out better than ever and there will be no question who the starter is.

If not, screw him. The best QB should be playing. This is year four no more rookie, sophomore, oc excuses. Play well and even if the team doesn't win big you have done your part.[/QUOTE]

Sure, it's sound and intuitive logic but flawed IMO.

Campbell's ceiling of a mediocre game manager is well known. Mark at times has flashed "Franchise QB." A Jason Campbell led team isn't winning a Superbowl. I'm not sure a Mark Sanchez team is but it is our ONLY chance.

Let me explain, we should all want Mark to win the job because he is literally our ONLY hope to win a title. If he fails to grow then the franchise has wasted another 5 years. If he gets beat out this training camp then he will fail, he won't bounce back from that, not in this town. Have your doubts about Mark Sanchez but do not wish him to fail because his development is the only thing that can win us a Superbowl, certainly not Jason Campbell.

There are no SB winning QB's available out there. We have to hope that our young QB develops into one and that only happens if he wins the job this off-season. Campbell is good which should push him but not good enough to beat him. Call it unfair, call it immoral but that kind of competition is the only one that gives us a chance.

[QUOTE=JonEJet;4384004]If we need a QB on the cheap, Kellen Clemens makes sense. He looked good last year with St Louis[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, I would have kept Kellen over Brunell.

In 2009 when Sanchez hurt his knee and missed the second half against the Bills and the whole Bucs game, Kellen did what a back-up QB is supposed to do. He committed no turnovers and did nothing to lose the game. I thought he was a good back-up, but they decided not to sign him in favor of Brunell.

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4383992]Yeah, except for one slight problem.

It's called dead money. His Cap savings just wouldn't justify it.[/QUOTE]

$9.25 mil in cap savings doesn't justify upgrading at qb and olb?

You guys are wearing some extremely thick green goggles if you think Jason Campbell isn't at least equal in ability to Mark Sanchez.

[QUOTE=Gibby;4383857]Per NFL netwok. I for 1 say PASS! You can do MUCH better than this guy for a back up[/QUOTE]

I hope I can say your nuts without getting banned. This is a guy like Smith in SF who played for 4 OC in his career.

I am not being a troll, but I like him more than Sanchez. The guy has over a 60% completion percentage in spite of being in down field vertical offences.

I think a lot of posters are under estimating the potential for a negative impact on Sanchez. The guy may play worse with someone over his shoulder. I remember in late 80s when the pats had Eason and Grogan who was always hurt at that stage in his career. When Grogan was hurt Eason Played well, when Grogan was healthy, Eason fared poorly.

Another thing is that the locker room atmosphere is not great this off season, If Campbell comes in and does as i expect outplay Sanchez or play to a draw it can develop a schism in the locker room. Rex noted in the past that he wanted to pull Sanchez when there was no true alternative, If he gets hot headed and does so
    it may stop him from ever progressing.

If the jets sign Campbell that have to be adamant that Sanchez is the #1 and Campbell is insurance. no splitting reps.
    Last edited by patman; 03-05-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=David Harris;4383865]He's perfect.

Good enough to push Mark but not good enough to win.

Henne would have too much an advantage coming in knowing the system.

Let's be real, we dont want our back up qb to beat Mark out - Mark works out or this franchise is screwed. Campbell would be a great addition.[/QUOTE]
    +1

[QUOTE=patman;4384119]I hope I can say your nuts without getting banned. This is a guy like Smith in SF who played for 4 OC in his career.

I am not being a troll, but I like him more than Sanchez. The guy has over a 60% completion percentage in spite of being in down field vertical offences.

I think a lot of posters are under estimating the potential for a negative impact on Sanchez. The guy may play worse with someone over his shoulder. I remember in late 80s when the pats had Eason and Grogan who was always hurt at that stage in his career. When Grogan was hurt Eason Played well, when Grogan was healthy, Eason fared poorly.

Another thing is that the locker room atmosphere is not great this off season, If Campbell comes in and does as i expect outplay Sanchez or play to a draw it can develop a schism in the locker room. Rex noted in the past that he wanted to pull Sanchez when there was no true alternative, If he gets hot headed and does so
    it may stop him from ever progressing.

If the jets sign Campbell that have to be adamant that Sanchez is the #1 and Campbell is insurance. no splitting reps.[/QUOTE]

Jason Campbell only going to go to a place where he can compete for a starting Job. If he was just looking to be Backup he would stay in Oakland, to be C Palmer backup. (its now or never for his career as starting QB). Highly respected by the players and the fans in Oakland.. He fits Greg Knapp offense better than T Sparano. The guy deserves a chance to be a starter.

Second Jason Campbell high percentage passing is somewhat deceiving. Jason Campbell might be the best screen passing Qb around( has nice touch and sets up those passes quite nice) His strength is short to intermediate passing game and he does protect the football.. He one of the worst deep passers in the game.

I can't tell you how many times he had a wr with two steps on a defender and Jason Campbell would throw it short, overthrow it, or throw it way out of bounds. In turn too many times he would be reluctant to make those deep throws (had a player out there) , and would settle too many times for the more safe check down to the Back or Te.

There is a reason Raiders didn't bring in a capable backup Qb last year. They didn't want Jason campbell looking over his shoulder. When Garbagekowski was over his shoulder he didn't play as well, when K Boller(no threat) was his backup.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-05-2012 at 07:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4383885]Which is why they probably wont sign him or wont have an open camp. Even if they didn't have an "open camp" I think that there would be some people in the media more than willing to point out that Campbell outplayed Mark, if that was the case.

I dont see the Jets signing him for that reason. He might be better than Sanchez, but he is not good enough to justify cutting Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

This might be the real problem with getting Campbell.....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4383957]Jason Campbell would be perfect. I believe he's not only good enough to play for the team. but good enough to come in and beat Sanchez in an open competition. Even if he does not win? He lights a fire under Sanchez's A$$ and gets him thinking.

Later on in the season, if Sanchez starts to show his old tendencies? We get to bench his A$$ once and for all and move on with Campbell. I would be ecstatic to see the Jets get Jason Campbell.[/QUOTE]

Perfect points...

This is why he would be a perfect BU acquisition.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4384024]In all honesty, I would have kept Kellen over Brunell.

In 2009 when Sanchez hurt his knee and missed the second half against the Bills and the whole Bucs game, Kellen did what a back-up QB is supposed to do. He committed no turnovers and did nothing to lose the game. I thought he was a good back-up, but they decided not to sign him in favor of Brunell.[/QUOTE]

It is called a stupid move by the Jets.

Brunell was supposed to magically mentor Sanchez how did that work out?

Jets Insider VIP
    either Campbell or Henne would be a good pickup as long as they understand their role as a backup quarterback.

Sanchez, Campbell or Henne, McElroy

an upgrade over Brunell or some other aged broken down old relic

[QUOTE=Gibby;4383857]Per NFL netwok. I for 1 say PASS! You can do MUCH better than this guy for a back up[/QUOTE]

Like who? Please provide your list of backups better than ex-starters Campbell or henne. Really dude. SHow me your "MUCH better" choices for backups. Even though Henne knows how Sparano's offense works, I'd rather have Campbell a million times over henne.
    Last edited by Dcat; 03-05-2012 at 09:08 AM.