Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Applicants Blast FDNY After Being Denied Entry To Preparation Class

White Applicants Blast FDNY After Being Denied Entry To Preparation Class

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Applicants are letting loose on the FDNY, saying the department engages in reverse discrimination.

There were hurt feelings and racial tensions as white applicants were left standing outside a prep class on Wednesday night, reports CBS 2’s Lou Young.

“Whoever’s name is not on the list is not getting in, so were just following orders. That’s just the way it is,” the applicants were told.

Joseph Basile was one of those who didn’t get in.

“It wasn’t a good feeling. It felt like it was discrimination,” Basile said.

The class was conducted by the Vulcan Society, a group of African American firefighters in an overwhelmingly white department. Many applicants who were turned away preregistered online on forms that did not ask for their race, which made for testy moment.

“What would Martin Luther King do?” one agitated applicant asked.

Many applicants were referred to the Vulcan Society test by Deputy Chief Paul Mannix, who heads a group called “Merit Matters,” which calls for even-handed entry requirements regardless of race. He said it wasn’t a stunt.

“We feel that for your best opportunity to do well on the test the Vulcan’s test is a good test. They hit the nail on the head last time with those unique types of questions,” Mannix said.

[url]http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/01/white-applicants-blast-fdny-after-being-denied-entry-to-preparation-class/[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Silly crackas should learn their place in Obama's America. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5KI61z5Dyo[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

SOP in the FDNY.

The only part of the FDNY who's funding has increased is the EEOC. They send lawyers to every firehouse to make sure there is nothing 'offensive' displayed in common areas. They tried to include American Flags at one point.

[QUOTE=Piper;4385385]SOP in the FDNY.

The only part of the FDNY who's funding has increased is the [B]EEOC.[/B] They send lawyers to every firehouse to make sure there is nothing 'offensive' displayed in common areas. They tried to include American Flags at one point.[/QUOTE]

You know what? When I get back I'm going to make it a point to contact my representatives and get the ball rolling on destroying that cancerous beauracracy once and for all. And I'm gonna stay on there ass, too. I want you to explain to me and justify what this POS group does and why the taxpayer should fund their communist, racist scummy agenda.:steamin:

Man, I hate the term "reverse discrimination".

[QUOTE=OrangeJet;4385557]Man, I hate the term "reverse discrimination".[/QUOTE]

It's an Orwellian term.

All Pro
    Affirmative action on steroids. Get used to it, it's gonna get a lot worse before it gets any better.

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4385477]You know what? When I get back I'm going to make it a point to contact my representatives and get the ball rolling on destroying that cancerous beauracracy once and for all. And I'm gonna stay on there ass, too. I want you to explain to me and justify what this POS group does and why the taxpayer should fund their communist, racist scummy agenda.:steamin:[/QUOTE]

Please keep us updated on how that works out for you.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4385477]You know what? When I get back I'm going to make it a point to contact my representatives and get the ball rolling on destroying that cancerous beauracracy once and for all. And I'm gonna stay on there ass, too. I want you to explain to me and justify what this POS group does and why the taxpayer should fund their communist, racist scummy agenda.:steamin:[/QUOTE]

You're talking about the Obama administration, right? ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Bloomberg isn't a big fan of individual thought.

[QUOTE=FF2®;4385690]Please keep us updated on how that works out for you.[/QUOTE]
    [IMG]http://restrainingordernewjersey.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Restraining-Order-In-New-Jersey.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=Piper;4385986]Bloomberg isn't a big fan of individual thought.[/QUOTE]

Actually my home of record is NJ but I'm moving to a southern state when I get back.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4386471]Actually my home of record is NJ but I'm moving to a southern state when I get back.[/QUOTE]

This is a thread about the FDNY

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4386471]Actually my home of record is NJ but I'm moving to a southern state when I get back.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest Tennessee or Mississippi.

[QUOTE=Piper;4386569]This is a thread about the FDNY[/QUOTE]

Understood but you quoted me that why I responded. Sorry for the misunderstanding. i don't live in NYC, and if I did, I wouldn't waste my time trying to contact a representative about anything let alone the EEOC. I concede defeat in the northeast, so I'll leave and find a state that actually represents my basic constitutional rights.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4386861]Understood but you quoted me that why I responded. Sorry for the misunderstanding. i don't live in NYC, and if I did, I wouldn't waste my time trying to contact a representative about anything let alone the EEOC. I concede defeat in the northeast, so I'll leave and find a state that actually represents my basic constitutional rights.[/QUOTE]

Smart move. NY is following Cal. down the toilet.

[QUOTE=Piper;4386868]Smart move. NY is following Cal. down the toilet.[/QUOTE]

As is NJ. Christie said he was gonna lower property taxes, but they have continued to go up every year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Frequent Flyer;4386871]As is NJ. Christie said he was gonna lower property taxes, but they have continued to go up every year.[/QUOTE]

First he capped them to 2% increases max, It was a great start. Next is the cut. Trenton wasn't built in a day.

[url]http://www.nj.com/times-opinion/index.ssf/2012/01/editorial_nj_property_tax_cont.html[/url]

[QUOTE][B]Editorial: N.J. property tax control efforts off to good start[/B]

[B]Published: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 7:10 AM [/B]

By [B] Times of Trenton Editorial Board

[/B]After about a year with a 2 percent property tax increase cap in place, New Jersey taxpayers are reaping the benefits.

A Star-Ledger analysis finds that while taxes did go up last year for most, homeowners paid an average of just 2.4 percent more for property taxes in 2011. [B]That’s the smallest increase in nearly two decades — and a strong indication that Gov. Chris Christie’s push to restrain local levies is getting results.[/B]

Those results, of course, did not come about without a lot of hard work and sacrifice in the towns where tax increases were minimal. Other municipalities, as prescribed, asked voters for permission to exceed the limit; still others, operating on a fiscal year rather than a calendar, have yet to weigh in on the changes.

With bipartisan support in the Legislature, the governor limited property tax increases for towns, schools and counties to 2 percent, starting last January. In order to comply with the new mandate, many towns were forced to lay off employees, cut services or shelve capital improvement projects.

Those are the kind of tough decisions that families throughout the region have been making for years: forgoing private school in favor of community college; buying a used car instead of a shiny new model; slicing vacations into a few weekend trips; and dozens of other cost-cutting measures.

In curtailing their spending, however, towns, like families, can only cut so much.

A professor of public administration at Rutgers University says municipal officials are making moderate cuts or using one-time fixes instead of axing whole departments or enacting long-term systemic changes.

“The 2 percent cap has worked,” says Raphael Caprio. “But at what point does it become a limitation to the quality of services that a town can provide?”

And there is always the sharp threat of emergency hanging over the most carefully planned budget. For instance, the killer storms of the summer and crush of snow in October conspired to raid municipal coffers.

The law does acknowledge those costs by allowing local officials to go over the property tax increase limit to cover expenses related to a state of emergency, debt service costs and employee pensions and health benefits payments.

As costs inevitably rise, however, another means of maintaining the slowed pace of property taxes is further municipal cooperation and consolidation of services. It took decades, but Princeton voters finally saw the wisdom in reuniting the borough and the township as a responsible response to the new economy.

Eliminating the countless incidences of daily duplication is something New Jersey county, town and school officials must seriously consider — sooner rather than later.
    [/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Cuts

[URL]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-57392258/dems-offer-tax-cut-alternatives-to-nj-gov-proposal/[/URL]

[QUOTE] [B]March 7, 2012 9:15 AM[/B]

[B]Dems offer tax cut alternatives to NJ gov proposal[/B]

TRENTON, N.J. —[B] Democrats in the New Jersey Legislature on Tuesday offered competing proposals that would base income tax cuts on property tax bills for those making $250,000 or less — both alternatives to Gov. Chris Christie's proposal to cut income taxes 10 percent across the board.[/B]

The Republican governor's proposal would phase in the cut over four years. Democrats say that plan disproportionately favors the wealthy while doing nothing to lower New Jersey's highest-in-the-nation property taxes, which averaged nearly $7,800 a homeowner last year.

The separate proposals offered by Senate President Steve Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Sheila Oliver both exclude those making more than $250,000, base the income tax credit on property tax liabilities, and phase in the cuts over four years.

But Sweeney's plan calls for giving a 10 percent dollar-for-dollar income tax credit based on the first $10,000 of a property tax bill, or up to $1,000, which would ramp up over four years. Existing homestead rebates and senior-freeze property tax credits would remain in effect. Renters would see their property tax credits increase from $50 to $100 in the 2013 tax year and to $200 by 2015.

"We're trying to get the most amount of money to the people who need it the most," Sweeney said.

Oliver's plan would offer a 20 percent credit under the same circumstances, or up to $2,000, but it calls for higher income taxes on millionaires and some shifting of existing property relief money from other programs.

Oliver said her plan "focuses on our state's most painful and regressive tax and sends help where it's needed most — to New Jersey's working class families."

Christie said he was happy to hear of the bills but indicated that as long as Oliver's plan contained a millionaire's tax — something Christie has vetoed in the past — it would be dead on arrival.

"It's now clear that both me and Sen. Sweeney agree that income taxes need to be reduced. I want to do it by rate cuts and he wants to do it by credits, but that's just the details," Christie said on Millennium Radio's 101.5 FM.

[B]Under Christie's plan, a couple with a taxable income of $600,000 would save around $4,000. A family with taxable income of $50,000 would save about $80 a year. Sweeney estimates that his plan will save a family earning $50,000 an average $600 a year and a family earning $100,000 would save an average $800 a year.[/B]

[B]At a town hall event Tuesday afternoon, Christie pointed to the proposals as evidence that he has changed the culture of spending in the state and now had Democrats proposing tax cuts[/B].[/QUOTE]