Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Per Manish Jets expect to sign Sione Pouha Before FA Begins

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Per Manish Jets expect to sign Sione Pouha Before FA Begins

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"][B]Manish Mehta [/B] ‏ @[B]TheJetsStream[/B] [/URL] [U]
    [/U][URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Jets"]#[B]Jets[/B][/URL] still expect to sign Sione Pouha to multi-yr deal b4 start of free agency, per sources. [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23NYJ"]#[B]NYJ[/B][/URL] not expected to use franchise tag on him

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    good news! thanks for posting

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not tag and then negotiate? Because the Jets need the cap room for this offseason, you know, in case they need to sign a big ticket free agent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm interested to see what kind of money it is and I bet you the contract will be backloaded to help the cap this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MrJames;4384213]Why not tag and then negotiate? Because the Jets need the cap room for this offseason, you know, in case they need to sign a big ticket free agent.[/QUOTE]

by tagging him right away the jets are risking have all the money hit this years cap which would cripple them+ you risk paying him top dollar at his position which he simply isn't worth....they are doing the right thing.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4384216]i'm interested to see what kind of money it is and I bet you the contract will be backloaded to help the cap this year.[/QUOTE]

4 years 28 mil with 12 mill guaranteed

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4384222]4 years 28 mil with 12 mill guaranteed[/QUOTE]

do we have a year by year breakdown yet? I think the money above is fair (and actually a GREAT deal for the Jets w/ only 12mil guaranteed), I just want to see how it's being spread against the cap throughout the contract.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's as good a guess as any. I'd say that a fair portion of that money would be in years 3 and 4 though as I don't think he'll truly get $7m a year. But, I think its safe to say that he could pull in $12m in the first 2 years.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TurkJetFan;4384228]do we have a year by year breakdown yet? I think the money above is fair (and actually a GREAT deal for the Jets w/ only 12mil guaranteed), I just want to see how it's being spread against the cap throughout the contract.[/QUOTE]

This is just my guess. I have no idea what the real numbers will look like. I doubt he will give us that much of a disscount. If he hit the markett some team would pay him nice money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4384237]This is just my guess. I have no idea what the real numbers will look like. I doubt he will give us that much of a disscount. If he hit the markett some team would pay him nice money.[/QUOTE]

oh.

could be about right with possibly another 8 - 9 mil guaranteed?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4384235]I think that's as good a guess as any. I'd say that a fair portion of that money would be in years 3 and 4 though as I don't think he'll truly get $7m a year. But, I think its safe to say that he could pull in $12m in the first 2 years.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with everything you said. I doubt he would let us back load it like someone else mentioned. He's never gotten paid. He has to be wanting some money. And he has leverage because on the open market some team will pay him a contract that goes well and beyond. He had a solild enough year to attract it.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 03-05-2012 at 09:47 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LockeJET;4384240]Totally agree with everything you said. I doubt he would let us back load it like someone else mentioned. He's never gotten paid. He has to be waiting some money. And he has leverage because on the open market some team will pay him a contract that goes well and beyond. He had a solild enough year to attract it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for a 32 year old guy who is now one of the better players at his position, its interesting that he's never really gotten a pay day yet. He started late on account of his Mission and the Jets have been very adroit at extending him (as well as DeVito and possibly Ropati) before they came up for FA. This deal will be his one and only time to cash in.

I just looked it up - the Jets extended him for 3 years in 08' (covering 09' - 11') which basically amounted to, after escalators, 3yrs/$5m. I'd say that's a pretty nice deal for the Jets.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4384263]Yeah, for a 32 year old guy who is now one of the better players at his position, its interesting that he's never really gotten a pay day yet. He started late on account of his Mission and the Jets have been very adroit at extending him (as well as DeVito and possibly Ropati) before they came up for FA. This deal will be his one and only time to cash in.

I just looked it up - the Jets extended him for 3 years in 08' (covering 09' - 11') which basically amounted to, after escalators, 3yrs/$5m. I'd say that's a pretty nice deal for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Considering how he performed, definitely.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e329/crossfire1/Jets%20Color%20on%20Black-White%202011/Pouha.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4384186][URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"][B]Manish Mehta [/B] ‏ @[B]TheJetsStream[/B] [/URL] [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23Jets"]#[B]Jets[/B][/URL] still expect to sign Sione Pouha to multi-yr deal b4 start of free agency, per sources. [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23NYJ"]#[B]NYJ[/B][/URL] not expected to use franchise tag on him[/QUOTE]

Great News!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4384235]I think that's as good a guess as any. I'd say that a fair portion of that money would be in years 3 and 4 though as I don't think he'll truly get $7m a year. But, I think its safe to say that he could pull in $12m in the first 2 years.[/QUOTE]

And in two years when they restructure him it will all become guaranteed. :eek:

LOL. Can't help myself.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Your guess or is this an actual number?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4384562]Your guess or is this an actual number?[/QUOTE]

just a guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    great news

Pouha is a good NT but not worth franchise tag bucks IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    Sione gets a Captains Patch from me and is a blueblood NY Jet. He was 26 when he entered the draft after doing two years of missionary work after college and appreciates being so blessed in life. Pouha is the lunch pail, feel good, player guy the team really needs to gel the defensive side of the locker room.

IMO he should be a priority keeper.