Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another safety franchised M Griffin

Another safety franchised M Griffin

Titans Use Franchise Tag on Safety Griffin

The Titans have placed the franchise tag on two-time Pro Bowl safety Michael Griffin, allowing both sides time to work on a long-term contract.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Titans informed S Michael Griffin that they will be placing the teamís franchise tag on him today.

This designation will allow both parties to work on a long-term contract prior to the season and protects the team with free agency opening on March 13, when Griffin was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent. Today was the final day that teams could use the designation.

Under NFL rules, Griffin can still sign a contract with another team, but the Titans would have the ability to match the contract or be awarded two number one draft picks as compensation for losing his services.

In 80 career games (73 starts), the two-time Pro Bowl selection (2008, 2010) has totaled 487 tackles (314 solo), 17 interceptions (83-yard TD), 2.0 sacks, seven forced fumbles, four fumble recoveries and 44 special teams tackles. He has also returned 26 kickoffs for 597 yards (23.0 avg), including a long of 48.

Shltty safeties here we come again...

Goes to show how important the Safety position is to a team. Lets hope Woody,Tanne and Rex take notice and stop with the slugs at Safety and get legit ones here.

All League
    The cream of FA safety crop is now a guy we dumped last training camp for a 6th routh pick (Lowery) and a perpetually injured juicehead (Landry). Good times.

That doesn't mean we go and sign the first safety available.

Crap safety on another team doesn't automatically mean better than what we have now.

Yes, it's true.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4384661]Goes to show how important the Safety position is to a team. Lets hope Woody,Tanne and Rex take notice and stop with the slugs at Safety and get legit ones here.[/QUOTE]
    Problem is, who?

Who's available?

The draft is very weak at the position and there's no guarantee that Barron could step in and be a starter year 1.

I can live with Pool for another year. I absolutely cannot live with E. Smith for another year.

Hall Of Fame
    The Safety position is becoming more and more valuable. Teams will be looking for players that can cover these freakish TEs.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4384676]Problem is, who?

Who's available?

The draft is very weak at the position and there's no guarantee that Barron could step in and be a starter year 1.

I can live with Pool for another year. I absolutely cannot live with E. Smith for another year.[/QUOTE]

James Ihedigbo (NE)

All League
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4384676]I can live with Pool for another year. I absolutely cannot live with E. Smith for another year.[/QUOTE]Correct. Pool was one of the better coverage safeties in the league in 2010 so the ability is certainly there. I'm willing to let him regain his form. Eric Smith is terrible though and should be pelted with eggs.

Can we trade for Kerry Rhodes again?

Pool is ok and I too can live with him for another year. I just think we need to pull the trigger and draft the best Safety available in the draft. The LBs need to also step it up considerably or the best Safety in the league will suck here too.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4384685]Can we trade for Kerry Rhodes again?[/QUOTE]

The Defense was better with him,cant argue that.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4384676]Problem is, who?

Who's available?

I can live with Pool for another year. I absolutely cannot live with E. Smith for another year.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Mark Barron have double hernia surgery. That very risky to take him that high.

[url]http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/10/2789863/alabama-safety-mark-barron-has-double-hernia-surgery[/url]

All League
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4384707]Didn't Mark Barron have double hernia surgery. That very risky to take him that high.

[url]http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/2/10/2789863/alabama-safety-mark-barron-has-double-hernia-surgery[/url][/QUOTE]He did but he's still the best safety in the draft, even with injury concerns. It's a very weak class. I'm not at all comfortable taking him at 16 but if we dropped back to the 25-30 range and took him there I could possibly be talked into it.

[QUOTE=ozu;4384714]He did but he's still the best safety in the draft, even with injury concerns. It's a very weak class. I'm not at all comfortable taking him at 16 but if we dropped back to the 25-30 range and took him there I could possibly be talked into it.[/QUOTE]

Theres always a chance he could be gone by then. The NYJETS arent the only team looking for a solid Safety.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4384683]James Ihedigbo (NE)[/QUOTE]

Yep. Let's replace a position of weakness with a part-time starter from the worst defense in the NFL last year. Nice idea. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    I hope the Jets pick up Harrison Smith in the 2nd round.

If they don't, he will never get passed New England in the 2nd.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4384732]Yep. Let's replace a position of weakness with a part-time starter from the worst defense in the NFL last year. Nice idea. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

James Ihedigbo was the starting Safety for the AFC Champion New England Patriots last season. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4384745]James Ihedigbo was the starting Safety for the AFC Champion New England Patriots last season. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

So James Ihedigbo = Championship in your logic?

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4384746]So James Ihedigbo = Championship in your logic?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely not. But the New England defense wasnt all that bad they made it the Super Bowl is what im saying.