View Poll Results: What will Tanny do this offseason?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it cool, don't sign any Big FA's

24 54.55%
  • Tanny will pull off a blockbuster trade or make a splash in FA

20 45.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanny's offseason strategy

All Pro

Tanny's offseason strategy

After the Aso fiasco from last offseason, who thinks that Tannenbaum will "play it safe" this offseason and not go after the big splash?

Or will Tanny stick true himself and go after the big FA signing or pulling off a blockbuster trade?

I can see our FA going something like signing guys like Jameel McClain, Braylon Edwards, a backup QB like Jason Campbell or Chad Henne, maybe a RT. IDK about safety.

Bart Scott is gone, hopefully we can trade him baring that he restructures his deal for a trade.

All Pro
    Tanny should figure out exactly what he wants to do. Then do the exact opposite.

All League
    I think Tanny will attempt to be a player in free agency, but I fear he'll overpay for mediocre talent :eek:

[QUOTE=carlito1171;4385075]After the Aso fiasco from last offseason, who thinks that Tannenbaum will "play it safe" this offseason and not go after the big splash?

Or will Tanny stick true himself and go after the big FA signing or pulling off a blockbuster trade?[/QUOTE]

Jets don't have the cap room. Tanny has said numerous times since the end of the season that improvement is going to have to come from within.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=carlito1171;4385075]After the Aso fiasco from last offseason, who thinks that Tannenbaum will "play it safe" this offseason and not go after the big splash?

Or will Tanny stick true himself and go after the big FA signing or pulling off a blockbuster trade?[/QUOTE]

What fiasco?

They went after Aso.

They had a number that they would go up to, the Eagles topped it and he signed there.

Plan B was Cromartie. They went with plan B.

Can you guys not make anything and everything that doesn't go the way you want it to go a "fiasco"?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4385117]Jets don't have the cap room. Tanny has said numerous times since the end of the season that improvement is going to have to come from within.[/QUOTE]

But you would have to think that Tanny would have to make cap room by restructuring Sanchez among others right?

At that point, we could throw a backloaded contract at someone and maybe they go for it.......

Remember the last time the Giants won the SB? The Jets went into the offseason and many changes were made.

I don't expect anything different this time around.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... tanny will weight all options from A to Z as any good GM should ...

... he will have a plan to upgrade RT ... whether from a 2nd tier FA or from an early round draft pick ...

.... he will put together a big (but not extavagant) backloaded deal for mario ... depending on what the rest of the market is ... if that is within range of the other deals he will put it on the table ...

... if not mario, he will still look into OLB & S as his 2 other priorities ...

... probable #1 pick will be that only safety with a 1st round grade on him ... forget the kids name ...

... he will bring booooo-haaaaa back in at NT ...

... he will find a servicable, not too costly option at WR ... with BE being a possibility ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=King P;4385128]Remember the last time the Giants won the SB? The Jets went into the offseason and many changes were made.

I don't expect anything different this time around.[/QUOTE]

The Jets were 4-12 that season... Tad different.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4385135]The Jets were 4-12 that season... Tad different.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that could make things different.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4385122]What fiasco?

They went after Aso.

They had a number that they would go up to, the Eagles topped it and he signed there.

Can you guys not make anything and everything that doesn't go the way you want it to go a "fiasco"?[/QUOTE]
    +1,0000

Get the facts right man

I don't think he'll do anything too dramatic. Depth and solid role players rather than big names.

Fiasco is a term and maybe an over reaction but the Jets did not improve last off-season and this team can not go backwards again or it will be 4-12

sometimes saving pennies cost dollars

Jets Insider VIP
    the NFL is not like baseball. In baseball one team can sign everybody they want willy nilly regardless of payroll issues. Baseball is a non-competitive exhibition for that reason. One team can have a 300 million dollar payroll and play teams with 35 million dollar total payroll and somehow it is called a legitimate "competition"

In the NFL there is a salary cap that all teams must comply with. Thus it isn't possible to make big splashes and sign all those beasts on the market. Teams that try to do that like the Eagles last year, the Redskins every year and the Patriots with their Haynesworth and Ochostinko splashes soon find out that it is better to build in a more sensible manner through the draft

Only my opinion, of course, and I could be wrong

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=boxman;4385176]I don't think he'll do anything too dramatic. Depth and solid role players rather than big names.[/QUOTE]

fundamentals, yes.

Banned
    [QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4385106]I can see our FA going something like signing guys like Jameel McClain, Braylon Edwards, a backup QB like Jason Campbell or Chad Henne, maybe a RT. IDK about safety.

Bart Scott is gone, hopefully we can trade him baring that he restructures his deal for a trade.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think if he makes a splash, it'll be in the draft. He's going use free agency to fill some holes without going nuts.

[QUOTE=Ohio State NY Jets fan;4385177]Fiasco is a term and maybe an over reaction but the Jets did not improve last off-season and this team can not go backwards again or it will be 4-12

sometimes saving pennies cost dollars[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you mean by "saving pennies cost dollars". The Jets had room left on the cap, but that was so it could be used in this season. Unlike prior seasons, it wasn't a "use it or lose it" situation with the cap.

As it was, the Jets were up against the cap in 2012. Without saving the money to be used in 2012, the Jets would have had to redo some more contracts, or make more severe cuts.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4385122]What fiasco?

They went after Aso.

Can you guys not make anything and everything that doesn't go the way you want it to go a "fiasco"?[/QUOTE]

It's not about whether or not it went my way...the fact of the matter is that The Jets let Aso string them along and at the last minute decided to go to Philly. Tanny caught a lot of flack from the fans and media for waiting on Aso when he could have signed some other FA's. That's why I used the term fiasco. Will Tanny make a blockbuster move again knowing the flack he took for last offseason and the 8-8 season......

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=simijet;4385116]I think Tanny will attempt to be a player in free agency, but I fear he'll overpay for mediocre talent :eek:[/QUOTE]
    " .... but I fear he'll overpay for mediocre talent :eek: " . . . . . again :bigcry: