View Poll Results: What will Tanny do this offseason?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it cool, don't sign any Big FA's

24 54.55%
  • Tanny will pull off a blockbuster trade or make a splash in FA

20 45.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanny's offseason strategy

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=kelly;4385513]" .... but I fear he'll overpay for mediocre talent :eek: " . . . . . again :bigcry:[/QUOTE]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ good one, kenny ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

hopefully tanny copies what the giants did this past season. dont do that much, and make a nice run at the end of the season and in the playoffs when it counts.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4385492]It's not about whether or not it went my way...the fact of the matter is that The Jets let Aso string them along and at the last minute decided to go to Philly. Tanny caught a lot of flack from the fans and media for waiting on Aso when he could have signed some other FA's. That's why I used the term fiasco. Will Tanny make a blockbuster move again knowing the flack he took for last offseason and the 8-8 season......[/QUOTE]

Four days of free agency.... you call that stringing them along? At the last minute, decided to go to Philly? He knew what the Jets final offer was, Philly offered significantly more.... that's it. Who exactly did they miss out on in free agency last year? Just because Mike T. doesn't go after the guys we, as fans, want him to go after.... doesn't mean he missed out or made a mistake. As far as catching flack from the fans and media.... BIG DEAL. What does the media know? They're talking heads, looking for entertainment and sales. I, for one, don't want a GM that listens to what the fans say and let that affect his decision making..... I trust he does his job...... I've seen it.

imo, the jets need to take care of pouha and maybe thomas and are drafting high enough to get a couple of really good players. they can find a wr if kerley can't be the no 2 guy but they do need a te. is turner coming back? ducasse has to show more or even push moore or even hunter. they will also need to replace scott and find a good safety.

the bottom line is they have some pretty good holes but nothing like they've had in years past. they can't stand pat but they also don't need to make a splash to be competitive.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4385349]I'm not sure what you mean by "saving pennies cost dollars". The Jets had room left on the cap, but that was so it could be used in this season. Unlike prior seasons, it wasn't a "use it or lose it" situation with the cap.

As it was, the Jets were up against the cap in 2012. Without saving the money to be used in 2012, the Jets would have had to redo some more contracts, or make more severe cuts.[/QUOTE]

Last year, Tanny went "all in" on Aso and Tone and missed other opportunities to improve the team

My reference to saving pennies was Tanny messing with players to save a little cap space: Faneca, Howard Green, Woodhead, Edwards, Ellis, Ihedigbo, Lowrey, T-rich was cut and resigned before the season, I know this is bottom of the line up but it does not help team chemistry and that seemed to be an issue last year...

Really hoping we can somehow get either Nicks or Mario in FA and draft Michael Floyd... but that's just me.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4385122]What fiasco?

They went after Aso.

They had a number that they would go up to, the Eagles topped it and he signed there.

Plan B was Cromartie. They went with plan B.

Can you guys not make anything and everything that doesn't go the way you want it to go a "fiasco"?[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=sg3;4385189]the NFL is not like baseball. In baseball one team can sign everybody they want willy nilly regardless of payroll issues. Baseball is a non-competitive exhibition for that reason. One team can have a 300 million dollar payroll and play teams with 35 million dollar total payroll and somehow it is called a legitimate "competition"

In the NFL there is a salary cap that all teams must comply with. Thus it isn't possible to make big splashes and sign all those beasts on the market. Teams that try to do that like the Eagles last year, the Redskins every year and the Patriots with their Haynesworth and Ochostinko splashes soon find out that it is better to build in a more sensible manner through the draft

Only my opinion, of course, and I could be wrong[/QUOTE]

what about the Waters (pro bowl) Carter and Anderson 10 sacks each. Haynesworth and 85 cost 2 5ths and a sixth and about 5 mill in salary, you call that a splash? The past rolled the dice and come up short on those two but hit home runs with the other 3.