Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anybody heard from Mark Sanchez?

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4385168]Results are all that matter, I couldd care less how hard he works. If he doesn't play better when under fire then it makes no difference how hard he works.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4385206]Thank you Gas2No99 for the orginal post!!!

IMO it is fantastic that Sanchez is working out and trying to get better this offseason and showing that his number 1 priority is winning football games for the NYJ!!

What is also amazing is that Jets fans even on this thread rip Sanchez even though he is working out!!:eek:

[B][SIZE="3"]Statements like you "don't care how hard he works out" are simply MINDBOGGLING!!![/SIZE][/B]

How precisely does one get better results if you don't WORK for them:confused:

Good Grief!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I think you missed the ultimate point from Beerfish's statement. Yes, it's great that the kid is a hard worker. And maybe that's all we can really talk about during the offseason. But does it really matter how hard he works if what we see on the field in September is no better or only marginally better than what we saw last year?

It really is great that Sanchez is a hard worker. But who worked harder than Chad Pennington? Was he not just as dedicated on and off the field? And what did that lead to for this franchise?

If Sanchez comes out firing this year with improved accuracy and poise, then I'll be right in line with everybody else to give him credit for a focused approach in the offseason. But until then, "he's a hard worker" doesn't amount to much more than saying "he's a nice guy."

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This is what I like to see - he's growing and maturing. He goes to the steakhouse yet he eschews the steak in favor of the lamb chops and lobster tail. He knows that there will be non-stop discussion about about how he orders a steak and what it means. By skipping it, he stops the controversy before it starts.

Its good to see a QB learn from the past.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4385267]I think you missed the ultimate point from Beerfish's statement. Yes, it's great that the kid is a hard worker. And maybe that's all we can really talk about during the offseason. But does it really matter how hard he works if what we see on the field in September is no better or only marginally better than what we saw last year?

I[B]t really is great that Sanchez is a hard worker. But who worked harder than Chad Pennington? Was he not just as dedicated on and off the field? And what did that lead to for this franchise?[/B]

If Sanchez comes out firing this year with improved accuracy and poise, then I'll be right in line with everybody else to give him credit for a focused approach in the offseason. But until then, "he's a hard worker" doesn't amount to much more than saying "he's a nice guy."[/QUOTE]

Stated perfectly.

We are seeing the classic PR scenario. First articles like this one talking about Mark's work ethic and desire to "learn from his mistakes". Next, many media pieces in the off season showing his "progress" and "greater understanding of the game and what it means to be a leader and NFL QB". Finally, during training camp and the days leading up to our first regular season game, we'll see tons of video and articles lauding Sanchez' development and how he's "grown emotionally", how he adores Sparano and has grasped/loves the new offense he's installed, and how all the problems from last year have been resolved (of course, accompanied by images/videos of Santonio and Mark laughing in a spirited, if not effusive, manner; back slapping; and general "guys just havin' fun and horsein' around").

Finally, it will be time to play. And this PR strategy will mean nothing. Mark must still prove that he's worthy of being our starting/franchise QB. A task which will be made more difficult as his biggest problem from last season, Santonio Holmes, is still on the team.

Good luck, Mark. You'll need it, mijo.

Jets Insider VIP
    loving your new "glass half full" outlook, borgo:):):)

[QUOTE=sg3;4385321]loving your new "glass half full" outlook, borgo:):):)[/QUOTE]

You know what it is, sg3? We've all seen the same media fluff pieces a thousand times before. Watch them unfold as I've described over the coming months.

I want Sanchez to have an MVP year. But, in my heart, I know that Holmes will continue to bring his brand of garbage into the team again this season. I understand the financial limitations/ramifications of releasing him, but keeping Holmes, IMO, will be Mark's, and the team's, demise this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    and maybe it won't

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4385168]Results are all that matter, I couldd care less how hard he works. If he doesn't play better when under fire then it makes no difference how hard he works.[/QUOTE]

Well, now is the short window to get "bigger, faster, stronger" with that trainer, because in a few weeks it will be about accuracy and smarts.

I hate these offseason articles and their stealth optimism, but that did make me feel like the kid still gets it.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4385331]You know what it is, sg3? We've all seen the same media fluff pieces a thousand times before. Watch them unfold as I've described over the coming months.

I want Sanchez to have an MVP year. But, in my heart, I know that Holmes will continue to bring his brand of garbage into the team again this season. I understand the financial limitations/ramifications of releasing him, but keeping Holmes, IMO, will be Mark's, and the team's, demise this year.[/QUOTE]

They have to use Holmes correctly. If that is possible IDK, and that makes me nervous.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4385269]This is what I like to see - he's growing and maturing. He goes to the steakhouse yet he eschews the steak in favor of the lamb chops and lobster tail. He knows that there will be non-stop discussion about about how he orders a steak and what it means. By skipping it, he stops the controversy before it starts.

Its good to see a QB learn from the past.[/QUOTE]

That was awesome.

Hall Of Fame
    Have we ruled out a possible suffocation by Ms. Upton.

Definitely a possibility. Tanny should check in with him and make sure everything is OK.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=Borgoguy;4385283]Stated perfectly.

We are seeing the classic PR scenario. First articles like this one talking about Mark's work ethic and desire to "learn from his mistakes". Next, many media pieces in the off season showing his "progress" and "greater understanding of the game and what it means to be a leader and NFL QB". Finally, during training camp and the days leading up to our first regular season game, we'll see tons of video and articles lauding Sanchez' development and how he's "grown emotionally", how he adores Sparano and has grasped/loves the new offense he's installed, and how all the problems from last year have been resolved (of course, accompanied by images/videos of Santonio and Mark laughing in a spirited, if not effusive, manner; back slapping; and general "guys just havin' fun and horsein' around").

Finally, it will be time to play. And this PR strategy will mean nothing. Mark must still prove that he's worthy of being our starting/franchise QB. A task which will be made more difficult as his biggest problem from last season, Santonio Holmes, is still on the team.

Good luck, Mark. You'll need it, mijo.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how you can call Cimini's article a "fluff piece"..... that's not the tone I got, at all. If you've ever read a Cimini article, before, you know he doesn't do "fluff pieces" on the Jets. He's a tabloid journalist, at best, and an instigator all the time.
    That aside, you lend no credence to a "fluff piece".... but an article saying MS is lazy, from unnamed player, is totally legit? He's a hard worker, smart enough to be an NFL QB, and can make all the throws. He's done it before...... he will do it again. The Jets HAVE their franchise quarterback........ and it's not McElroy.

The guy who wrote this is named Dick Semen? Really? REALLY!!???

As for the topic, Sanchez is doing exactly what he should. We all have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. He tweeted Santonio back on Valentines day leaving one to believe they've hashed out their differences, and if they did it was handled in private, just as it should have been. I know there's a ton of people who think Sanchez is the worst QB in the world ever, but the truth is he's not. He had a mediocre season last year. Not horrible, not great. He's extremely young and inexperienced and it was or at least should have been well understood that he might take a little longer to develop that an older, more experienced, draftee. He has improved every year, and he did have an injury last year that very obviously hurt his deep game. This year is his make or break year, and I believe he's gonna play well.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Borgoguy;4385283]Stated perfectly.

We are seeing the classic PR scenario. [/QUOTE]

borgo ... the article begins with this:

[QUOTE]
    [B][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Has anybody heard from Mark Sanchez?
    Jets QB is harder to find than Waldo,[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

... the PR from cimini is anti sanchez ...

l_j_r

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Laxman;4385383]I don't know how you can call Cimini's article a "fluff piece"..... that's not the tone I got, at all. If you've ever read a Cimini article, before, you know he doesn't do "fluff pieces" on the Jets. He's a tabloid journalist, at best, and an instigator all the time.
    That aside, you lend no credence to a "fluff piece".... but an article saying MS is lazy, from unnamed player, is totally legit? He's a hard worker, smart enough to be an NFL QB, and can make all the throws. He's done it before...... he will do it again. The Jets HAVE their franchise quarterback........ and it's not McElroy.[/QUOTE]

Borg is not suggesting that Sanchez is lazy or not smart. He's saying that this piece is relatively worthless, at least from a perspective of a fan wanting this team to get better.

I think most fans will admit that Sanchez is a hard worker and a genuinely strong comeptitor as well as an overall good guy. But, its all well and good to hear about guys working out in off season and watching tape - it seems like that's the standard off season story every year. But, what really matters is how he improves on the field because he's going into year 4 and he hasn't become the guy we thought/hoped he'd be.

This piece follows a standard format that you see every off season - a little background as to what he's doing (Vegas, Carribean, Knicks, etc.), he's focusing and not giving interviews, and then interview the guys around him to tell what CRAZY workouts he's involved in. Two years ago it was LDT and his insane workouts, last year it was guys working out in Sal Alosi's garage.

I don't think any less of Sanchez based on this article, but I'm not particularly impressed with anything he's doing. Everyone works out in the offseason. When I see the game slow down for him and see him making the right decisions quickly, I'll be impressed. Ergo, this piece is fluff or meaningless.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4385452]I think most fans will admit that Sanchez is a hard worker and a genuinely strong comeptitor as well as an overall good guy. But, its all well and good to hear about guys working out in off season and watching tape - it seems like that's the standard off season story every year. But, what really matters is how he improves on the field because he's going into year 4 and he hasn't become the guy we thought/hoped he'd be.

[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity what did you expect him to be, in numbers, at this point?

Hall Of Fame
    Well Mark has definitely been in New Jersey a good amount because my son and wife have seen in Smash Burger in Florham Park a couple times this off season. :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Win and everything is right in the world....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Pretty funny. Cimini asks where is Sanchez and then provides an itinerary of his off season. What a d-bag.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Snell41;4385453]Just out of curiosity what did you expect him to be, in numbers, at this point?[/QUOTE]

About 62% (or more).

Jets Insider VIP
    Sanchez is in a difficult spot right now because he doesn't even know if he'll still be on the team. There is no way the Jets can have Manning and Sanchez under the cap.

So it's not in Sanchez' best interest to talk to the media now. Just get himself ready for organized offseason activities for the Jets or in case he is cut, for any other team he signs with.

Right now, Sanchez is looking out for self--and that's a good thing--so he's putting himself in the best position to move forward with either the Jets or someone else. Talking to the media is not part of the equation.