Thread: Kickers

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Kickers

Maybe not a big deal but I do find it funny (not sure that is the correct word) that two ex-Jet kickers (Nugent / Weatherford) both were franchised this week.

Is that a Westhoff issue, Tannenbaum issue or just random

Anyway our current K and P are so good probably doesn't matter... :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    since IMO at least, Folk and Conley are as good or maybe better than those two franchised players, I'd agree with you that it doesn't matter.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't stand hypocracy because the thread starter probably wanted Nugent gone immediately..

Secondly, it's never as simple as just "is someone good". In a salary cap league, it comes down money... We have been spending just about the least money as possible at those 2 positions which means we weren't going to keep either of those two guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets and westoff are horrendous when developing and or keeping and or getting very good long term kickers.

The front office treats the kicking game as a very low priority which is bizarre considering what type of team the jets are. While other teams have 10 year punter/place kickers the jets shuffle them every year or so.

I think finally this year things may change as westoff was quoted as saying that the kickers at this years combine were some of the best he's seen out of college. With the extra picks we should get this year I'd be shocked if we didn't draft one or the other or both.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OneTime;4385297]Maybe not a big deal but I do find it funny (not sure that is the correct word) that two ex-Jet kickers (Nugent / Weatherford) both were franchised this week.

Is that a Westhoff issue, Tannenbaum issue or just random

Anyway our current K and P are so good probably doesn't matter... :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Weatherford was great in the regular season last year, and completely **** the bed in the playoffs. This was after having heart issues the previous season.
    The Jets made a mistake in cutting him, but there were logical reasons for it.

Nugent was bad in his final season with the Jets, and was cut by two other teams before joining the Bengals (Bucs, Cardinals).

Kickers are fickle, and notoriously inconsistent I don't really this reflects on Westhoff, one way or another.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4385313]since IMO at least, Folk and Conley are as good or maybe better than those two franchised players, I'd agree with you that it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

+1-
    Finally, someone who knows where the Jets' real issues are.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4385872]+1-
    Finally, someone who knows where the Jets' real issues are.[/QUOTE]

Conley is better than Wetherford? Is that a joke? It is okay to admit that another team has a better player than the Jets, even on a Jets forum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    as good or better, definitely and none of the four of them are worth a franchise tag

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Taking into account how the Jets are currently built, a good punter is essential for them and can actually win a game for them. A bad one can lose a game for them.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jay Feely is a free agent, no?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    speaking of kickers who screwed up royally in Pittsburgh in a conference championship game

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Bryan Anger, P, California
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 207.
    Projected Round (2011): 5-7.
    3/5/12: Anger is the consensus top-rated punter in the draft. He averaged 44.3 yards per punt in 2011. Anger had 18 punts of 50 or more yards, with 19 punts placed inside the 20. He has a strong and accurate leg. Anger was an All conference punter the past three seasons.

8/22/11: Bryan Anger enters the season as the top punter in the nation. Last year, he averaged 45.6 yards per punt in 2010. Anger has a strong leg. In his career, he has 54 punts of longer than 50 yards. Anger also has pinned 71 punts inside the 20 and forced a fair catch on 62 punts. He was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection for the second consecutive year in 2011. If Anger stays consistent, he should have a grade that will land him in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Phukin BS, when you can't get first downs and touchdowns your K, and P are important, more important than Westhoff, some one has to help the D.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admire Westoff's track record as a special team coach.... No doubt he takes his job very seriously and clearly is not shy with getting in players faces and holding players accountable.... He has an EGO, like most NFL coaches... I get feeling sometimes that he trys to over coach in certain situations.. I like his return teams slightly over his coverage teams, but think their failure to secure and develop a punter is a bit disappointing. I understand the impact of cap and understand nature on how we can lose a feely and or gain a Folk..

sometimes u don't get appreciated until you are gone.... westoff last year is 2012... so..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4386449]Westhoff wasn't even the coach when Nugent was here. :confused:[/QUOTE]

what?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsman51;4386460]what?[/QUOTE]

My bad, I was thinking of when Rex came on board in 2009, Westy has been here since Edwards in 2001.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    well, at least that's been cleared up

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody else miss Tom Tupa and John Hall? I want to bring in Shawn Powell from FSU as a 7th rounder or UDFA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    watched the MN miracle game replay

and neither Tupa's punts or Captain Hook's FG attempts were all that much to get excited about

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between a great kicker (Scobee) and a league average kicker (83%/97%) would be worth 7 points over the course of a season to the Jaguars.

Kickers are kickers. It's not worth getting worked up over which one you have.