Thread: Thomas DeCoud re-signing with Atlanta

Thomas DeCoud re-signing with Atlanta

Damn, looks like the already thin saftey market just got thinner. Who's left to sign?

Bring on Reggie Nelson I guess. Or bring back Lowery

All Pro
    Looks like no one wants their safety to hit the FA Market geez.

We might be looking at drafting Barron in the 1st rd.....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Trade Cro to the Giants for one of their safeties.

Jets Insider VIP
    Reggie Nelson sounds good. Bring him in.

Hall Of Fame
    The safety position is becoming more and more important as the NFL has changed the rules regarding hits and contact down field. Teams are realizing that the hard hitting, run supporting safety is a dinosaur now. Hybrid CB/S are now what teams are looking for. Coverage and range are now more important than hard hits and run support.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4385549]Reggie Nelson sounds good. Bring him in.[/QUOTE]

You got the first name right.....the Jets should look at Reggie Smith from SF. Good size, coverage ability and would be inexpensive.

[QUOTE=LockeJET;4385546]Trade Cro to the Giants for one of their safeties.[/QUOTE]

I know you and I will get flamed for this. But I actually would trade Cro for a safety. We can slide Kyle Wilson in/sign another CB plus will likely save $$ towards the cap to use in other areas.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4385555]You got the first name right.....the Jets should look at Reggie Smith from SF. Good size, coverage ability and would be inexpensive.[/QUOTE]

This is probably what the Jets will do, My guess is that Smith might want to step out of the shadows of Whitner and Dashon Goldson in SF and earn a starting spot somewhere.....

Sign Smith, Draft Illoka, Bring back Jimmy on the cheap for a year to tutor our new safeties.

With no top tier safeties hitting the FA market and with the draft apparently light on safety talent as well, would it make sense for the Jets to consider using Cro as a "cover safety"? If Wilson can develop a little bit more, maybe the thought is we draft another corner and have Cro play the pass catching TEs or as a single high/zone safety, especially on passing downs. Just a thought.

what exactly has Reggie Smith done in the NFL to sign for our starting safety spot?

All League
    [B][SIZE="6"]F$ck!!!!!![/SIZE][/B]

[B]Falcons keep safety Thomas DeCoud[/B]
    ESPN.com news services

The Atlanta Falcons agreed to terms with starting safety Thomas DeCoud on Tuesday, the team announced.

The team did not reveal terms of the contract but a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter [B]that DeCoud's deal is for five years with a $17.5 million base package. DeCoud received $4 million in guarantees and $6.25 million in potential bonus dollars. The maximum value of the deal is $21 million.[/B] [I]THAT IS COMPLETELY DO-ABLE for the Jets![/I]:mad:

Thomas DeCoud - #28 Safety - Atlanta Falcons

2011 STATS
    Tot 86
    Solo 67
    Ast 19
    FF 0
    Sacks 0.0
    Int -4

"Thanks for all the congratulations, everyone," DeCoud told his followers on Twitter. "Looking forward to taking my game to the next level and help the falcons take that next step."

DeCoud, who turns 27 later this month, played in 94.9 percent of the Falcons' snaps last season and led the team with four interceptions and was third in tackles with 109.

A third-round pick by the Falcons in 2008, he has been a starter in 47 of his 58 career games and has eight career interceptions, four forced fumbles and 19 passes defensed.

He was one of several Falcons defensive players scheduled to be free agents next Tuesday, March 13. Atlanta's other key defenders who could leave via free agency include linebacker Curtis Lofton, who led the team in tackles, and defensive end John Abraham, who led with 9 sacks.

The Falcons used their franchise tag last week on cornerback Brent Grimes, who led the team with 17 passes defensed in 2011.

Information from ESPN.com NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas and The Associated Press was used in this report.

[QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4385728]what exactly has Reggie Smith done in the NFL to sign for our starting safety spot?[/QUOTE]

Not a ton, that's why we can afford him.

Smith has size, speed, upside and NFL experience all at a value since he hasn't been a starter. Reggie Nelson is average to slightly above avg, that's all he will ever be. His average play will also cost us close to 5 times the amount we can hopefully sign smith for.

We dont have much cap room, and have a lot holes to fill, Ed Reed isn't coming through our door next year.... We need to find young, inexpensive players that can hopefully turn into good players and that is smith.

You don't just "sign" someone just because he's the best remaining player.

Are any of these players left upgrades to our current safties? You can't say that for sure.

It's always greener on the other side, hmm?

Barron is looking more and more likely.

[QUOTE=Sanchise;4386042]Barron is looking more and more likely.[/QUOTE]

I'm in favor for him, because I am confident he'll be a instant upgrade at the position for us. Played against top competition at an elite program and brings top football intangibles and talent. This is if guys that I like are off the board at 16, like Melvin Ingram.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Sanchise;4386042]Barron is looking more and more likely.[/QUOTE]

yeah! you dont say!

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;4385555]You got the first name right.....the Jets should look at Reggie Smith from SF. Good size, coverage ability and would be inexpensive.[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean by inexpensive 3 years 12? or 3 years 6 mill?
    with all the teams looking for safety help this year and being "thin" in the draft
    3 and 6 does not sound like you can get a guy that you can plug in a a starter