Thread: This is what the Jets need....

This is what the Jets need....

Smart football guys in the organization. It's great we have a cap wiz because that is very important in the NFL. but we need better scouting, player development, etc. -- that's how you win in the NFL. Not by bringing in aging vets because you think your team is a player or two away from greatness (see favre, hopefully not Manning). we whiff too much on draft projects and late round picks, our practice squad players are always just that -- just practice squad players, and our FA signings are hardly ever young up and comers, just aging vets. and stop trading all the drafts picks away!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4386514]Smart football guys in the organization. It's great we have a cap wiz because that is very important in the NFL. but we need better scouting, player development, etc. -- that's how you win in the NFL. Not by bringing in aging vets because you think your team is a player or two away from greatness (see favre, hopefully not Manning). we whiff too much on draft projects and late round picks, our practice squad players are always just that -- just practice squad players, and our FA signings are hardly ever young up and comers, just aging vets. and stop trading all the drafts picks away![/QUOTE]

Agreed. And the Jets REALLY need 18 to sign somewhere that isn't Miami ASAP.

I agree that building through the draft is the way to go as opposed to signing older veterans, but the negative attitude towards Tanny is ridiculous.

Did we miss on Gholston, absolutely. Does it look like ducasse is a waste, yes. But we as fans have a tendency to focus on the negatives.

Does kerley look like a fantastic find in the 5th round, yes.

Has slauson been a solid starter as a 7th round pick, yes.

No team hits on every pick, if they did, they would win the SB every year.

We do lack depth, but thats what happens when you trade up. These trade ups that everyone is now so upset about (and the contracts that come with them) did we miss there? We drafted arguably the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL, what more can the guy do?

The Cro trade cost us a 2nd round pick, but whether I dislike him or not, that was a decent trade at the time but that cost us a young player in the draft.

Hunter was a bomb last year but he played very well down the stretch the year before....Tanny can't predict that a guy like that will suddenly regress, that was a smart move at the time.

Its HARD to run an organization. Ill take Tanny over 90% of the rest of the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4386531]I agree that building through the draft is the way to go as opposed to signing older veterans, but the negative attitude towards Tanny is ridiculous.

Did we miss on Gholston, absolutely. Does it look like ducasse is a waste, yes. But we as fans have a tendency to focus on the negatives.

We do lack depth, but thats what happens when you trade up. These trade ups that everyone is now so upset about (and the contracts that come with them) did we miss there? We drafted arguably the BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER IN THE NFL, what more can the guy do?

The Cro trade cost us a 2nd round pick, but whether I dislike him or not, that was a decent trade at the time but that cost us a young player in the draft.

Hunter was a bomb last year but he played very well down the stretch the year before....Tanny can't predict that a guy like that will suddenly regress, that was a smart move at the time.

Its HARD to run an organization. Ill take Tanny over 90% of the rest of the league.[/QUOTE]

holy cow, batman -- I agree with EagleNJ and yesterday I agreed with piper... either I've changed or maybe this is that 1Q84 world with two moons

Veteran
    manning is a free agent. no draft picks will be traded for his services.

Put Kyle Wilson in for my money too, a complete waste of a first round pick and should never have been selected where he was. Victor Hobson, Anthony Schlegel and on and on we go into the littany of Jets drafting dicketry.

When, oh when will it end?

[QUOTE=BamaJets;4386514]Smart football guys in the organization. It's great we have a cap wiz because that is very important in the NFL. but we need better scouting, player development, etc. -- that's how you win in the NFL. Not by bringing in aging vets because you think your team is a player or two away from greatness (see favre, hopefully not Manning). we whiff too much on draft projects and late round picks, our practice squad players are always just that -- just practice squad players, and our FA signings are hardly ever young up and comers, just aging vets. and stop trading all the drafts picks away![/QUOTE]

You insinuate that the Jets haven't done a good job scouting and drafting, and that simply isn't true.

The Jets have been very successful bringing in quality talent from the draft, the majority of the core of the team today are players scouted and drafted.

Every team needs a mix of draft picks, FA's, and sometimes a little luck in finding the right mix of talent.

People who say a team should only be built through the draft simply don't know any better.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4386531]I agree that building through the draft is the way to go as opposed to signing older veterans, but the negative attitude towards Tanny is ridiculous.

Its HARD to run an organization. Ill take Tanny over 90% of the rest of the league.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Couldnt agree more. We draft Wilson and Ducasse and the GIANTS draft Nicks and Pierre-Paul.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4386674]Couldnt agree more. We draft Wilson and Ducasse and the GIANTS draft Nicks and Pierre-Paul.[/QUOTE]

You do know there is a draft order and those players were not available to us due to our previous picks/signings playing well enough to get us to the Conf Championship right.....

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4386531]the negative attitude towards Tanny is ridiculous.
    [/QUOTE]

... :clapper: ... :iwon: ... :clapper: ...

... we have one of the best gm's in the game :yes: ...

l_j_r

Count me in too. The negativity and unrealistic expectations on this board are appalling.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4386691]You do know there is a draft order and those players were not available to us due to our previous picks/signings playing well enough to get us to the Conf Championship right.....[/QUOTE]

I know,im just saying as an example of the quality who we pick instead.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4387599]I know,im just saying as an example of the quality who we pick instead.[/QUOTE]

Go back to those drafts and draft for the Jets picking guys within say 15-20 picks after ours that would be way better. Even with this 20/20 hindsight you'd be hard pressed to find the all-pro draft everyone thinks we constantly miss out on.

[QUOTE=TheMo;4387720]Go back to those drafts and draft for the Jets picking guys within say 15-20 picks after ours that would be way better. Even with this 20/20 hindsight you'd be hard pressed to find the all-pro draft everyone thinks we constantly miss out on.[/QUOTE]

Its not only this draft. We pick **** more often than not with a few exceptions. History speaks for itself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Manning? [IMG]http://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/smilies/2/3/manning.001.gif[/IMG]

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4387735]Its not only this draft. We pick **** more often than not with a few exceptions. History speaks for itself.[/QUOTE]

And what does that have to do with the current general manager? Why must he make up for the idiocies of past regimes? He and his team have a done a pretty good job of evaluating and picking up talent in the draft. If I have one complaint at all, it would be the general disregard to the value of later picks, later being round 5 and lower (aka giving them away to move around, or facilitate other deals).

All League

this post is effin' awesome!!!! i wish we could all sign it and send it to woody post haste :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=neevsmazda07;4388101]this post is effin' awesome!!!! i wish we could all sign it and send it to woody post haste :yes:[/QUOTE]

Maybe the next Jeremy Lin is on the Jets practice squad? lol ;)

I think our scouts are fine.
    The gm is good at chasing aggressively high end players.
    The gm is terrible from about the middle of the draft down often devaluing lower picks.
    The gm needs to grow a pair and stand up to the head coach on a few player issues.