Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Article on the Jets' Serious Speed Issues

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    40 speed isn't everything. The question is how fast someone *plays*.

Half of the great receivers aren't/weren't burners.

Speed only tells part of the problem. It's how quick someone can get to a spot that makes the difference. It doesn't matter if it's a receiver, lineman, linebacker, or back. If you can get to the spot you're supposed to be at quicker than anyone else, you can throw out any 40 time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CleatMarks;4388355]40 speed isn't everything. The question is how fast someone *plays*.

Half of the great receivers aren't/weren't burners.

Speed only tells part of the problem. It's how quick someone can get to a spot that makes the difference. It doesn't matter if it's a receiver, lineman, linebacker, or back. If you can get to the spot you're supposed to be at quicker than anyone else, you can throw out any 40 time.[/QUOTE]

You're right that there's more to football than a 40 time... at the same time, look at the best players at any given position (aside from OL) and they tend to have a pretty good 40 time.

Look at the elite players at WR, DE, OLB... what do many of them have in common? They're faster than most others at the position.

40 time is important, otherwise these teams wouldn't waste the time and money to hold a combine every year.

The Jets can't keep going the way they have been and expect to surpass the other faster teams, it's a simple fact.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Paradis;4388109]Serious[/QUOTE]

If we can arrange for the opposition players to always be right in front of Mays in a straight line 40 yards away I'm all for that. If he actually has to change direction much less so.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    importance of 40 times? I'd just LOVE to see players who have been in the league for a few years run 40's again. I bet Eric Smith would turn in a 4.8 40.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;4388380]

40 time is important, otherwise these teams wouldn't waste the time and money to hold a combine every year.

.[/QUOTE]Both of you guys are right.

The Combine is the level playing field; the chance to see athletic and football-related fundamentals.

The one thing I remember is that Jerry Rice somehow found an extra gear after a few seasons in the league. Real speed wasn't what he was known for at the combine, IIRC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4388414]If we can arrange for the opposition players to always be right in front of Mays in a straight line 40 yards away I'm all for that. If he actually has to change direction much less so.[/QUOTE]

now now, all the drama aside, he was always a beast when he was running downhill and in pursuit. lets not exagerate too much.