Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DamienWoody Part Deux? Upshaw slides?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

DamienWoody Part Deux? Upshaw slides?

Per Roto:

Kareem McKenzie - T - Giants

The Giants recently [B]informed free agent RT Kareem McKenzie that he is not part of the team's 2012 plans[/B].

Citing a team source, the Bergen Record reports that the Giants, specifically, [B]told McKenzie to "go shopping."[/B] The G-Men are high on 2011 fourth-round pick James Brewer, who could compete for the right tackle job. Another option is moving LG David Diehl. [B]McKenzie turns 33 in May. He's [SIZE="4"]missed just four starts[/SIZE] since the 2006 season[/B], however, and should find a taker in free agency.

Source: Bergen Record Mar 7 - 6:47 PM

He was a Jet initially, and [I]at this stage in his career[/I] could be a creature of comfort with the convenience of staying in NYC. He's VERY durable, a respected veteran, would be an immediate upgrade over Hunter and alleviates an obvious need to plug in the draft depending on what Vlad shows in OTAs. And he would be cheaper than Levi Brown

The real question is whether he would sign at a reasonable salary (ie local discount) or would he be seeking that last big payday.

Alabama OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw did not participate in Wednesday's Crimson Tide Pro Day due to knee tendinitis.

The [B]extent of Upshaw's knee injury is unknown. Tendinitis can be an ongoing problem, or something quickly overcome with a little rest and rehab[/B]. This may also explain reports that Upshaw [B]showed a disappointing amount of explosiveness during the drills in Indy.[/B] He only participated in positional work.

Source: CBS Sports Mar 7 - 3:54 PM

&

According to the Packer Report's Bill Huber, [B]NFL scouts attending the Alabama Pro Day were "not happy" that OLB/DE Courtney Upshaw declined to work out.[/B]

Upshaw, who sat out due to alleged knee tendinitis, [B]does plan to do a full workout on March 29[/B]. All Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban would say of the injury was that, "Courtney has [B]a little tendinitis in his knee[/B] and is trying to work through that." Upshaw has disappointed teams by missing both the Combine and his initial Pro Day. He still has time to redeem himself.

Source: Packer Report Mar 7 - 6:38 PM

I take that as GOOD news as C Upshaw is a FOOTBALL PLAYER and this lil' tiff could cause him to slide down to us at 16. :)
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 03-07-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;4388091]Upshaw has disappointed teams by missing both the Combine and his initial Pro Day. He still has time to redeem himself.

[/QUOTE]

Please. Pass on this guy like a Cutlass in the right lane. Hopefully the Patriots take him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Astoria;4388098]Please. Pass on this guy like a Cutlass in the right lane. Hopefully the Patriots take him.[/QUOTE]

Sincere question, how much of him have you actually seen in college games?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No thanks to upshaw... Not the brightest guy either and the smarter guys typically evolve into the greats. I've been rooting for upshaw to test well because I wanted Ingram. Looks like we will have to give up the 2nd rounder to trade up to 9 in order to get Ingram though

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't call Upshaw a bust b.c I never thought highly of him to begin with. Never passed the eye test. Would get killed in the run game. Very slow reaction and is flat-footed a lot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think his agents are the Postons. Those d-bags are almost as bad as Revis's agents

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;4388100]Sincere question, how much of him have you actually seen in college games?[/QUOTE]

have watched at least 4 full games of him and although he got to the passer while in college, he doesnt show any explosiveness while doing it. It was more of strength and more talent than the oline that helped him succeed. id rather have ingram

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    McKenzie for depth is, ok let someone else take Upshaw - he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gas2No99;4388100]Sincere question, how much of him have you actually seen in college games?[/QUOTE]

Probably 210 pounds worth.

What do you want me to say? I watch college football like you do. I'm not a professional scout. We can all brag about how much or how little college ball we watch, but there's some things that are huge crimson flags:

1- Little speed. Most of his sacks are from the QB holding onto the ball too long. You can bet he won't have that luxury in the NFL.

2- In pursuit, not only does he lack speed, he moves like he has poo in his pantoloons. Gholston-esque. He is a very strong run defender, but he's not the explosive playmaker (read: sack guy, or cover guy) this team needs.

3- Extremely low IQ. I don't read too much into Wunderlic scores, but all you need to do is watch his post game interview after the LSU game. Do you think this guy is going to learn an NFL defense and be a leader on the field and in the lockerroom? Rex's NFL defense? He carries himself and speaks like a bloated and drunk 13 year old.

He plays well in a defense where he can set the edge against the run and play alongside great players against inferior talent. I think he'd be a good pick in the 2nd round for sure. But not at #16.

I'd love to be proven wrong if he is picked by the Jets. If he's picked by the pasts I'd like to be proven right.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wached upshaw at the combine. He is strong but slow. I wasnt impressed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FijiJet;4388140]McKenzie for depth is, ok let someone else take Upshaw - he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed[/QUOTE]

McKenzie for depth? Are you telling me you start Wayne Hunter over him?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    please football gods....let Courtney Upshaw slide all the way down to the 16th spot in the first round of the 2012 National Football League Selection Meeting

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its funny that in the same thread about upshaw one poster says he is gonna get killed playing the run and someone else says he is stout vs the run and not a great speed rusher....

Anyway, agree that none of us are scouts so we are all just stabbing here, but there are a couple things I like about upshaw.

First off, i prefer strength over speed at this point. We have a small speed rusher in maybin, we need someone who can beat an OT after the guy has his hands on him, which upshaw can do.

He already played the OLB position in college so has experience standing up or in a 2 point stance.

Having some weight in his a$$ is a good thing IMO as it will help him set the edge in our defense. That being said he does need to show lateral quickness in his workout to show he isn't slow as molasses.

Lastly, saban said something to the effect that "there has never been a fight that courtney upshaw would back down from, the guy is one of the toughest players I've ever had."

Upshaw himself also said: "My favorite part is the contact. The competitiveness. I hate when people are intimidated and scared and won't bring that contact."

So please don't compare him to gholston in that department. Hopefully this knee injury causes him to slide....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is what the jets need.

Another slow, dumb player. Oh yeah with a messed up knee. 16-0 here we come.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=srobjets;4388285]This is what the jets need.

Another slow, dumb player. Oh yeah with a messed up knee. [/QUOTE]

... hahahahahaha, well played ...

... i believe the pick will wind up being his team-mate in the secondary ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4388303]... hahahahahaha, well played ...

... i believe the pick will wind up being his team-mate in the secondary ...

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

The only teammate in the secondary that I would want that early would be Kirkpatrick. Certainly not a need but definitley someone I think is going to become a good player. Possibly great. Excellent change of direction and has a similar fluidity that Revis has.

Barron could be good, safeties just have so little effect to make them worth taking in the first round unless you believe they are Reed or Polamalu. And you can watch an entire half of Alabama without getting any notable contribution. They keep him deep so often that the opposing offense so rarely gets the ball past the front 7.

And I also like Menzie later. Dunno whether at corner or safety though. But the guy is physical and knows how to play. Think he'll last in the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [center][B]Sign Mario. Draft Cordy Clenn or Mike Adams in round 1.[/B][/center]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please no more guys with knee problems. We don't need another DRob.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did he really get a 5 on the Wonderlic Test?????:eek::eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4388161]I wached upshaw at the combine. He is strong but slow. I wasnt impressed.[/QUOTE]

Not saying I want him but I thought he didn't run the 40 and didn't go through the shuttle run, how did you come to this conclusion?