Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DamienWoody Part Deux? Upshaw slides?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny thing, I remember no one thought anything of Mario Williams when the Texans took him. Everyone thought they were absolutely crazy to take him over Reggie Bush. They were universally ridiculed for passing on the next Gale Sayers. He would never be able to get to the QB, etc, etc.

Now everyone either wants him or is afraid he'll go to the Pats.

Got to love internet GM's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, it appears he got a 9 on the wonderlic. No surprise to me and he's someone I've been calling pretty dumb on the forum for months. Just need to see an interview with him to understand that much.

And to me that's a huge red flag... I don't think it's a coincidence that hall of famers are almost always bright guys. Modern era guys anyway.

Wouldn't be shocked if he fell significantly into the 2nd round.. He's not that great on tape because he lacks the quickness that would be needed to make a significant impact. Then you throw in the fact that he's too stupid to figure out the ways to get better.

The guy I like quite a bit is Perry... Gotta watch some more to be completely confident but he's the guy I think could/will become the best of the pass rushers. Ingram I like the most however.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4388569]Funny thing, I remember no one thought anything of Mario Williams when the Texans took him. Everyone thought they were absolutely crazy to take him over Reggie Bush. They were universally ridiculed for passing on the next Gale Sayers. He would never be able to get to the QB, etc, etc.

Got to love internet GM's.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Upshaw is not nearly the prospect that Mario was.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4388569]Funny thing, I remember no one thought anything of Mario Williams when the Texans took him. Everyone thought they were absolutely crazy to take him over Reggie Bush. They were universally ridiculed for passing on the next Gale Sayers. He would never be able to get to the QB, etc, etc.

I don't know that people thought Mario would be garbage, just the fools thought Reggie Bush would be great.

For whatever reason, people fall in love with running backs. Same deal this year with Richardson.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upshaw's a great pick at 16. I hope he keeps sliding.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Not true at all. Mario Williams was a stud coming out, and was compared to Peppers. They got a lot of flack for passing on Bush and because a lot of Texas fans wanted them to take Vince Young. In no way was Williams thought of as a reach. If he wasn't taken at 1 he would have been taken at 2, that was understood.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you talking about? Mario Williams was one of the highest rated players in that year's draft class by a mile. The people who complained about the Texans taking Mario over Bush are the same video game players who want broke-neck Manning.

And are we supposed to be happy about Mario Williams becoming a New England Patriot or something?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4388724]Not true at all. Mario Williams was a stud coming out, and was compared to Peppers. They got a lot of flack for passing on Bush and because a lot of Texas fans wanted them to take Vince Young. In no way was Williams thought of as a reach. If he wasn't taken at 1 he would have been taken at 2, that was understood.[/QUOTE]

If the Texans passed on Mario he would have ended up being the 2nd or 3rd pick in that draft and there's no doubt about it.

And here's the main difference between Mario Williams and Peyton Manning:

3 years from now Mario Williams will continue to be one of the best players in the NFL.

3 years from now Peyton Manning will be retired and in the announcer's booth. Heck, with Wayne Hunter protecting him and his neck in the shape it's in Peyton could be retired this time next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

You thought wrong, many people thought it was a tough decision between the two because Mario Williams was a can't miss beast. Most people thought they should take Bush but Williams was hardly some jag.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be all over Kareem McKenzie like Oprah on a baked ham.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4388767]I'd be all over Kareem McKenzie like Oprah on a baked ham filled with reeses peanut butter cups.[/QUOTE]

... fixed :cool: ...

l_j_r

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be all over Keerem McKenzie like Oprah on a corndog.

[IMG]http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/oprah-corndog.jpg[/IMG]