Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If this front office were smart

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;4389223]If this front office were smart they would be actively seeking to sign Peyton as soon as possible.

Even if he is only 90% of what he used to be he's still 100% better than Sanchez.

Would you turn down a slightly creased $100 bill to keep a crisp $10 bill?[/QUOTE]

Yes:P

[QUOTE=Untouchable;4389241]LOL

Sanchez has been the definition of mediocre so far and you're ready to committ to him for the next 5+ years? Good God, you can't make this stuff up.

Our QB history is so goddamn pathetic that people have put Sanchez on this pedestal just because he's been a part of 4 playoff wins.

I'm not just looking at the final three games of last season, I'm looking at his entire body of work. I'm not hating on Sanchez, I simply call it like I see it. He's a mediocre, turnover prone QB at this point with piss poor accuracy. How can that even be disputed?[/QUOTE]

And what was Manning's great accomplishments before Jan 2007? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=IndianaJet;4389246]He has one....in case you don't remember....that's one more than this franchise has had in the last 40+ years.

That's all I want....one....just one time.[/QUOTE]

hear you...I am dying to get that Lombardi too. I wasn't around in 1969. But Manning is the past not the future.

All League
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4389226]I respectfully disagree. We get you don't like Sanchez. However, a move like this stablizes the QB position and sends a clear message to our young developing QB that he is our guy for the long term -- removing all doubt.

Why base his work on the final 3 games this year and not look at the entire picture? That's not fair.

I would be in favor of a move as the OP outlined here in this thread. Imo, it is a win-win for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

First, from a financial perspective, Sanchez is due something around $14M this season alone. To extend him, remember, it has to be beneficial to both player and team, why else would Mark sign. The Jets would have to put a significant amount of guaranteed $$ in the contract. Its not like Mark will say "hey let's take that $14M I'm due this season and spread that over e next several seasons."

So for arguments sake, let's say that Mark re- does he deal where instead of getting paid $28M over the next 2 seasons, to a 2012 cap friendly deal of another 5 year $40M, this the Jets would have to guarantee an additional $12M and it COULD lower the cap hit depending on the new contract's structure.

Now, there still isn't going to be enough to bring in a Mario Williams type because he's not coming here for anything near what we would save on Mark's cap hit.

Of course now we are on the hook for for Mark's salary making it cost prohibitive to cut him anytime within the next 3 seasons. So if he plays the way he has for the last 3 seasons (not just the 4playoff games everyone keeps clamoring about), then we will be destined to fall short of the ultimate goal of a Super Bowl.

Our defense was ELITE in 2009. This was obviously not sustainable. What the organization was counting on was that while the defense came back to Earth over the next few seasons, that our offense under Mark's helm would improve enough to make up the difference and then some. The offense has not done that.

If Manning goes to Miami and Mark duplicates 2011, we will be starting over in 2013. From scratch.

[QUOTE=Eckesg1;4389026]How do you know Tanny isn't doing that right now? Do you know him? Does he call you at home? DO YOU HAVE A DORSAL FIN?[/QUOTE]

You can bet the accountant is not doing it because he is the genius that last year asked both Scott and Pace to take $1MM less when he had $9MM to play with and then guaranteed the salaries for this year so instead of being able to cut both and save $13MM to sign some good younger free agents like the kid the Raiders will cut, we have 2 slow useless guys with guaranteed contracts.

All League
    [QUOTE=yanksjets;4389304]You can bet the accountant is not doing it because he is the genius that last year asked both Scott and Pace to take $1MM less when he had $9MM to play with and then guaranteed the salaries for this year so instead of being able to cut both and save $13MM to sign some good younger free agents like the kid the Raiders will cut, we have 2 slow useless guys with guaranteed contracts.[/QUOTE]

Another issue making things worse is that we are making moves with the current year in the focus with less regard to what the ramifications will be on the cap in the future. I understand that are window for winning was open the last 3 weeks so the FO was being aggressive trying to get us over the hump. Problem was that the QB position did not play up to what the team expected or needed. Now that our defensive players are obviously past their prime (specifically Pace, Scott, Leonard, etc.) we are not only loaded with holes and contracts we cannot rid ourselves.

Face it, if we don't get much improved play from the QB position, whether that's Mark or whoever, we are going to be looking for a whole new Front Office.

[QUOTE=jetssjumets;4389226]I respectfully disagree. We get you don't like Sanchez. However, a move like this stablizes the QB position and sends a clear message to our young developing QB that he is our guy for the long term -- removing all doubt.

Why base his work on the final 3 games this year and not look at the entire picture? That's not fair.

I would be in favor of a move as the OP outlined here in this thread. Imo, it is a win-win for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

excellent point... would show some stability within the organization and a commitment to a plan. Nothing wrong with challenging Sanchez with some competition as well. I don't know how much of Mark's salary is guaranteed right now, so I don't think it's simply 28 million plus additional money. If the Jets released him now, there's no way he'd get that on the open market. So it's all a negotiation at the end of the day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=auctionking;4389250]Have you ever seen Manning play????[/QUOTE]

Sure, before the nerve damage. Manning WAS a great QB.

[QUOTE=jetman67;4389412]Sure, before the nerve damage. Manning WAS a great QB.[/QUOTE]

And Trufant was an okay corner lol

Not that Adam Schefter knows everything, but he has said that the Jets could get a 1st rounder for Sanchez. if that is the case then he assumes a team would trade for him and give him an extension (no one is trading a first round pick for a young QB on the last year of a contract).

if Jets brass know that they can't find a way to get Manning in town, then OP's suggestion is actually pretty dead on. Use this is as a tool to open up some cap space to bring in Mario.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetssjumets;4389260]And what was Manning's great accomplishments before Jan 2007? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

He completely carried a subpar team into Superbowl contention year after year. LOL

Seriously, has one year made you guys forget how f*cking incredible Peyton Manning is? I remember a sh*t ton of people on this board saying that Tom Brady was finished after Pollard snapped his knee back in '08. How has that worked out?

How many testicles is Super Mario worth ?? I assume we can garner quite a pool here.

Hall Of Fame
    Either way, a lot of people are going to be eating their words. Manning has been very divisive here.

I hope all the naysayers are around to take their medicine. I will be if he falls flat.

Sanchez has a contract. Regardless of what the tanny wants to do, Sanchez doesn't have to do anything. Stop day dreaming about this horsesh!t. If they threaten him with being cut, this only kills the Jets cap situation.

[QUOTE=yanksjets;4389304]You can bet the accountant is not doing it because he is the genius that last year asked both Scott and Pace to take $1MM less when he had $9MM to play with and then guaranteed the salaries for this year so instead of being able to cut both and save $13MM to sign some good younger free agents like the kid the Raiders will cut, we have 2 slow useless guys with guaranteed contracts.[/QUOTE]

Just two. There are way more than that on this team.

All League
    [QUOTE=phillyjet;4389023]They'd be purposely sending out smoke signals on Peyton, all the while they were signing Sanchez to a cap-friendly extension. Playing the media at their own game, and keeping the Sanchez deal quiet. Then on March 13, with tons of cap relief, the Jets brass shows up at Mario Williams' door at 12:01 am. Start the day off with a big signing, followed by an active free agent period.

Would be impressed if they did something like this... but would be too damn intelligent for what's coming out of Jetland lately:eek:[/QUOTE]

The only way we would be able to offer Williams a contract that is better that teams with over $30m in cap space would be if we released Sanchez and traded Hunter along with resturcturing a few others to get about $20 under the cap so that we would be able to offer him the guarenteed $$$ he is looking for.

The idea of the Jets restructuring Sanchez has been out there for a while, so that step would be a given no matter what they do. But understand this, by restructuring his deal you probably guarentee some if not all of his salary in one of the next two years and that wouldn't be pressed out to the 2013 year. So you are guaranteeing his next year salary with no proof that he will be on the club based on performance next year shoot, even this year mid way.

This is exactly why the Jets haven't done anything yet with Hunter or Sanchez...they want to see where Manning wants to play (Miami) and if he's willing to come up to the north, how much he wants...that then determines if they keep Hunter and Sanchez

[QUOTE=BrickHouse;4389489]The only way we would be able to offer Williams a contract that is better that teams with over $30m in cap space would be if we released Sanchez and traded Hunter along with resturcturing a few others to get about $20 under the cap so that we would be able to offer him the guarenteed $$$ he is looking for.

The idea of the Jets restructuring Sanchez has been out there for a while, so that step would be a given no matter what they do. But understand this, by restructuring his deal you probably guarentee some if not all of his salary in one of the next two years and that wouldn't be pressed out to the 2013 year. So you are guaranteeing his next year salary with no proof that he will be on the club based on performance next year shoot, even this year mid way.

This is exactly why the Jets haven't done anything yet with Hunter or Sanchez...they want to see where Manning wants to play (Miami) and if he's willing to come up to the north, how much he wants...that then determines if they keep Hunter and Sanchez[/QUOTE]

Is there any way to sign him for a low cap cost this year giving him a guaranteed contract over 6 years that escalates in later years ? Or does guaranteeing the cash put the entire hit on the signing year ?

OP = O.S.G.

One Smart Guy!

Good lord, when i read the original post this afternoon i was thinking that he was halfway kidding, but after the news broke i remembered what Phillyjet had said.

Bravo. Are you Mike T? ahhha

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=phillyjet;4389023]They'd be purposely sending out smoke signals on Peyton, all the while they were signing Sanchez to a cap-friendly extension. Playing the media at their own game, and keeping the Sanchez deal quiet. Then on March 13, with tons of cap relief, the Jets brass shows up at Mario Williams' door at 12:01 am. Start the day off with a big signing, followed by an active free agent period.

Would be impressed if they did something like this... but would be too damn intelligent for what's coming out of Jetland lately:eek:[/QUOTE]

[B][SIZE="3"]YOU BE DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CALLED IT AND ALL MUST GIVED YA DA LUV!!!!:D[/SIZE][/B]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Wow, nailed it. Let's hope your Mario Williams prediction comes through too :thumbup: