Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: That pathetic person Joe Willie Namath just said

That pathetic person Joe Willie Namath just said

That Peyton Manning would not be interested in the Jets because of your locker room situation. Thanks a lot Joe!

Veteran
    makes sense!

why would you not agree with this ??

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    100 reasons why he won't come here, this is a valid one. I am always interested in what Joe has to say.

[IMG]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/2517/img0471u.jpg[/IMG]

Joe Namath says locker room unrest will keep Peyton Manning from joining Jets

Published: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 4:15 PM Updated: Thursday, March 08, 2012, 4:16 PM

Associated PressJoe Namath feels unrest in the Jets locker room will dissuade Peyton Manning from joining the team.
    Peyton Manning wouldn’t be interested in joining the Jets with their current roster and locker-room dysfunction, Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath said today.

“The Jets have to get things together on their own turf before someone with his background would be interested in coming,” Namath, 68, who led the Jets to their only Super Bowl title, told Bloomberg News in a telephone interview from his Florida home.

Manning, 35, was released Wednesday by the Indianapolis Colts after 11 Pro Bowl appearances, four league Most Valuable Player awards and a Super Bowl title following the 2006 season. The Jets finished 8-8 in 2011, the end of the season marred by locker-room controversy, including verbal altercations between quarterback Mark Sanchez and receiver Santonio Holmes.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, a free agent after two years in New York, told the NFL Network Wednesday that Manning could help the Jets win. He called the team’s locker-room issues last season the worst he’d seen in his 11-year National Football League career.

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment on Namath’s statement or the team’s interest in Manning.

Namath led the American Football League in passing in 1966 and 1967, and became a national celebrity after he delivered on his prediction that the Jets would beat the heavily favored Baltimore Colts in the 1969 Super Bowl. He retired after the 1977 season and was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

Namath said he didn’t expect the Jets to sign Manning, and that Sanchez, who will enter his fourth NFL season, has the ability and work ethic to be the team’s quarterback of the future. The Reno, Nevada-based Cal Neva sports book gives the Jets a 9.5 percent chance of signing Manning. The Arizona Cardinals are favorites with a 19 percent chance, followed by the Miami Dolphins at 16.5 percent.

Manning’s release Wednesday by the Colts made him one of the most desirable free agents in NFL history. He won 141 games in Indianapolis, where he helped the Colts become one of the league’s elite teams with a $720 million stadium.

While Manning turns 36 on March 24 and is working his way back from at least three operations on his neck that kept him sidelined for all of last season, he said he has no plans to retire and is excited to play again.

By cutting Manning, the Colts avoided having to pay him a $28 million bonus today. The team has said it will select Stanford University quarterback Andrew Luck with the No. 1 pick in next month’s draft.

Namath said that with Manning’s absence last year, the bonus and Luck’s availability, he wasn’t surprised the quarterback was released.

“Your heart might be in one place, but business is business,” he said. “The No. 1 question is, ‘Is he going to be satisfied with the strength in his throwing arm?’”

Namath changed teams late in his career. In 1977, at age 33, he was waived by the Jets and signed with the Los Angeles Rams, where he played four games in one season.

Namath started eight games for the Jets in 1976, and said today that he didn’t think he would have regained the starter’s spot and wanted to play with a contender. He said the process of leaving New York was “excruciating,” and that he struggled to adjust to the new life and team in Los Angeles.

“What was difficult for me, that I didn’t anticipate, was how much all the newness could get in the way and be a distraction,” he said. “I wasn’t prepared for that feeling. The new faces, new places, new system.”

Namath said Manning’s attention to detail and preparation may allow him to adjust faster to a new team.

“I think he’ll handle it much better than I did,” Namath said.

Namath said if he could do it again, he would have stayed in New York. Due to knee and hamstring injuries, he found out in Los Angeles that he was no longer physically able to play to his satisfaction.

“I didn’t know that when I made the decision to make the move,” Namath said. “Knowing that I wasn’t up to par physically, I wouldn’t have left the Jets, absolutely not.”

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4389322]why would you not agree with this ??[/QUOTE]

I would not agree with this because the locker room situation was due to lack of leadership, the signing of Payton corrects that immidiately. We all know Sanchez demanded nothing and backed that up by his play on the field.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4389322]why would you not agree with this ??[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm in denial. I've been a Jets fan for a long, long time and this dysfunctional situation that Namath describes is probably true but my heart does not like him saying it.

If Manning is a Jet, it means the catalyst for the locker riff, Sanchez, will be gone.

Veteran
    The actual statement went as follows;

That Peyton Manning would not be interested, I want to kiss you, I don't care about the team getting Payton,,, I want to kiss you, in the Jets because of your locker room situation.

Jets Insider VIP
    two fortunate things for the Jets

1) Manning won't be coming here

2) Namath will continue to have ZERO to do with the team other than his weekly Thursday session of being baited into saying negative stuff by LaDrecka and Bighead Turd Kay

[QUOTE=leftturn3;4389327]I would not agree with this because the locker room situation was due to lack of leadership, the signing of Payton corrects that immidiately. We all know Sanchez demanded nothing and backed that up by his play on the field.[/QUOTE]
    I also believe his disappearance this off-season shows a lot about his leadership
    When things are bad shows a lot more about your character then when things are great.

[QUOTE=leftturn3;4389334]The actual statement went as follows;

That Peyton Manning would not be interested, I want to kiss you, I don't care about the team getting Payton,,, I want to kiss you, in the Jets because of your locker room situation.[/QUOTE]

Funny! You made my night!

We do look pretty pathetic here. Can't seem to attract Peyton, probably pissig Nacho off. The astute poster that said we were playing a dangerous game was right on.

Jets Insider VIP
    What is with the continued latino smack, rambler??

[QUOTE=sg3;4389341]What is with the continued latino smack, rambler??[/QUOTE]

NO Latino smack intended, dude! Just referring to him by Bart Scott's nickname, but since he will probably be gone .. . read more dysfunction!!!

Namath bleeds green, he'll always be alright in my book.:yes:

All Pro
    Although I don't think Manning wants to come to NY for othe rreasons, the locker room unrest is a big deal as well. Manning is in the last qtr of his playing days. He has won a Super Bowl, been to two. Has a few MVPs etc. He knew his time was up in Indy but still wants to play. But he can pick his own terms. Do you really think Manning wants to deal with locker room bs? Manning was a leader in Indy for 14 years. He just wants to be the last piece of a puzzle for team on the verge of a championship.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=djaparz;4389344] [B]He just wants to be the last piece of a puzzle for team on the verge of a championship.[/B][/QUOTE]

I think it's a no brainer for Manning to come here just for this. And the endless run of endorsements, it's just makes complete sense.

Then again it's the Jets and the only way to keep things right in this world is to go to Miami.

That's the way the poop rolls.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=I against I;4389349]I think it's a no brainer for Manning to come here just for this. And the endless run of endorsements, it's just makes complete sense.

Then again it's the Jets and the only way to keep things right in this world is to go to Miami.

That's the way the poop rolls.[/QUOTE]

manning doesn't need endorsements. There are more negatives for him to come here than any place else. #1. This is Eli's town right now. #2. NY Media. #3. He has played in a dome at least 8 games per year his entire carreer. He doesn't want to be dealing with elements in November & December. #4. The reason why I think he doesn't come to NY or Miami - AFC East he has to face Brady twice a year. At least 11 games out side. A possible trip to Buffalo and NE in December.

I would say Arizona or Houston. And to stay out of NFC and avoid playing Eli at all my final prediction on him is Houston.

[QUOTE=djaparz;4389363]manning doesn't need endorsements. There are more negatives for him to come here than any place else. #1. This is Eli's town right now. #2. NY Media. #3. He has played in a dome at least 8 games per year his entire carreer. He doesn't want to be dealing with elements in November & December. #4. The reason why I think he doesn't come to NY or Miami - AFC East he has to face Brady twice a year. At least 11 games out side. A possible trip to Buffalo and NE in December.

I would say Arizona or Houston. And to stay out of NFC and avoid playing Eli at all my final prediction on him is Houston.[/QUOTE]

Sound analysis and agree.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=djaparz;4389363]manning doesn't need endorsements. There are more negatives for him to come here than any place else. #1. This is Eli's town right now. #2. NY Media. #3. He has played in a dome at least 8 games per year his entire carreer. He doesn't want to be dealing with elements in November & December. #4. The reason why I think he doesn't come to NY or Miami - AFC East he has to face Brady twice a year. At least 11 games out side. A possible trip to Buffalo and NE in December.

I would say Arizona or Houston. And to stay out of NFC and avoid playing Eli at all my final prediction on him is Houston.[/QUOTE]

Peter king tweeted Houston is out

Veteran
    I know he's not coming. But talent wise with those teams you mentioned, who else gives him a better shot than the Jets other than the Niners?

You may have to go anywhere in December. Like the endorsements it's a given wherever you are dome team or not or in NY or not. I can say that his celery stalk noggin is on my TV enough.

Does Tom Moore become an in season consultant or better yet (and the Jets can lose a pick for tampering) becoming the passing coordinator to Sparano's running game coordinator?