Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets trying to trade Wayne Hunter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be akin to trading blinded eyeball.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4389472]Tell me again why Tanny is one of the game's ''top GMs?''[/QUOTE]

... his record speaks for itself ... you either buy into it ... or you don't ...

... question back to you ... who is better GM - Tanny or Kraft/Belichick? ...

l_j_r

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4389424]Tanny trade him for a bag of Doritos.....that's about what he's worth on the open market :yes:[/QUOTE]

doritos? that's even too high. you could get a no frills brand like pathmark chips

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    To cut him would have meant we get nothing for him and must sign and/or draft two RTs (one starter, one backup), because Ducasse is not the answer.

To keep him, we at least have a starting or capable backup RT for a modest veteran salary this season. Also, having him on the roster gives the Jets flexibility in how they rebuild the OL (and replace Slauson, Hunter, and an aging Moore in the next two or three seasons).

If we can trade him, then we are likely to get the most value out of him (either a draft pick or player to fill a need). This would give the Jets their best chance to get two RTs (one starter, one backup) in FA or the draft this season.

Smart GM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=srobjets;4389479]Not true, cutting him or releasing him gives them a cap hit. Trading him just opens up cap space.[/QUOTE]

The point was to cut / release him before his salary was guaranteed, which would have saved the jets money.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL. I keep checking this thread thinking I have read something wrong. What a phucking joke. $2.5 million that could have went ANYWHERE, forget putting it towards Manning, they could have gotten a veteran safety or put it towards Pouha. Anything but this.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389474]Hunter is worth nothing. And this fruitless effort to trade him will prove that.

I don't even think we can assume he can play backup anymore. He has been exposed and is a liability.[/QUOTE]

I think he has an opportunity to improve in Sporano's system. Shotty didn't provide Hunter support. Hunter was often left 1 on 1 with the opponents star, with no chips on the star by the TE or RB.

I don't think he is completely worthless, there is a lot of value in a backup who has experience starting. Yeah he sucked at times, but he still started 16 games..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4389509]I think he has an opportunity to improve in Sporano's system. Shotty didn't provide Hunter support. Hunter was often left 1 on 1 with the opponents star, with no chips on the star by the TE or RB.

I don't think he is completely worthless, there is a lot of value in a backup who has experience starting. Yeah he sucked at times, but he still started 16 games..[/QUOTE]

[B]Lesson #1:[/B]
    Don't try to inject rationality into a discussion with a grandstanding idiot who is in the zone.....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389508]LOL. I keep checking this thread thinking I have read something wrong. What a phucking joke. $2.5 million that could have went ANYWHERE, forget putting it towards Manning, they could have gotten a veteran safety or put it towards Pouha. Anything but this.[/QUOTE]

I think your missing the big picture. If the jets let hunter go, their O-line is even worse off. Now you need to get someone in here to replace Hunter.

What happens if that player demands more now that he knows the Jets have no RT?

What happens if the player gets injured and we no longer have hunter as a back up?

What happens if the Jets don't sign a RT better than Hunter?

What happens if Hunter improves on a team that we play this year?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4389484]... his record speaks for itself ... you either buy into it ... or you don't ...

... question back to you ... who is better GM - Tanny or Kraft/Belichick? .

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Kraft lets Bill buy the groceries. He doesn't usually whiff in the early rounds ala Gholston even though his picks are usually late in the round. Sure he blew the entire 2006 draft but one can't know how much of that is on BB and how much on Pioli. Given the depth he's been able to manage through the draft with the accumulation of picks, vs. the Jets lack of it, I'd say Bb is a far better, albeit flawed, GM than Tanny.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4389513]I think your missing the big picture. If[B] the jets let hunter go, their O-line is even worse off. Now you need to get someone in here to replace Hunter.
    [/B]

What happens if the player gets injured and we no longer have hunter as a back up?

What happens if Hunter improves on a team that we play this year?[/QUOTE]

That's by far the scariest, worst part. As it stands now, the o-line actually gets worse by cutting him. Of course, even by signing a decrepit Kareem McKenzie it becomes improved, but today at least, Hunter is our least bad option. Just depressing.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4389511][B]Lesson #1:[/B]
    Don't try to inject rationality into a discussion with a grandstanding idiot who is in the zone.....[/QUOTE]

I enjoy the irrational rants as much as I enjoy an intelligent debate. I try to encourage both.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We had to resign cro cause Wilson stinks.

We had to resign hunter cause ducaasse stinks.

Thanks Tannenfat.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4389513]I think your missing the big picture. If the jets let hunter go, their O-line is even worse off. Now you need to get someone in here to replace Hunter.

What happens if Hunter improves on a team that we play this year?[/QUOTE]

IMO Hunter can no longer even be a backup, he has a huge target on him and will get abused by opposing teams. I never wanted them to pick up his option in the first place. I first-guessed this problem for 2012.

Jets should have thought of all these things before the paid him $2.5 million. That is Tranny's job, not mine.

IMO they can find a guy who was on the street that can do a better job than Hunter, and like I said before I do not think Hunter will improve. He works with a sports shrink, which for me is a big knock against him especially playing in NY. I think he is in way over his head and can't handle it mentally or physically.

I think if he is not on the Jets in 2012 then he will be out of the league.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-09-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4389517]We had to resign cro cause Wilson stinks.

We had to resign hunter cause ducaasse stinks.

Thanks Tannenfat.[/QUOTE]

And now have to sign Pouha because Ellis has been slow to develop.

Not sure whether to put blame on coaches or players, there are many factors but the fact is that the Jets have been forced to draft and purchase the same positions. That is never a good thing.

If any of these draft picks were able to live up to the expectations the Jets would be sitting well under the cap and would be able to add Mario this year easily. Instead, they were forced to sign FAs to pick up for their shortcomings in the draft.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GronkWelkhead;4389514] I'd say Bb is a far better, albeit flawed, GM than Tanny.[/QUOTE]

... i'd completely disagree with you ... you'll find plenty of SOJF here to follow behind your patriot colored banner though ...

l_j_r

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The true lesson here is that nothing that comes out of Tannenbaum's mouth has an ounce of value. Interviewing Tannenbaum is like interviewing a mob boss about what really goes on at a marine port.

[QUOTE=NPTJET53;4389509]I think he has an opportunity to improve in Sporano's system. Shotty didn't provide Hunter support. Hunter was often left 1 on 1 with the opponents star, with no chips on the star by the TE or RB.

I don't think he is completely worthless, there is a lot of value in a backup who has experience starting. Yeah he sucked at times, but he still started 16 games..[/QUOTE]

Well said. The Jets are a better team if Hunter is not out there starting, but it's not like the guy is Matt Mulligan.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389524]And now have to sign Pouha because Ellis has been slow to develop.

Not sure whether to put blame on coaches or players, there are many factors but the fact is that the Jets have been forced to draft and purchase the same positions. That is never a good thing.

If any of these draft picks were able to live up to the expectations the Jets would be sitting well under the cap and would be able to add Mario this year easily. Instead, they were forced to sign FAs to pick up for their shortcomings in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Pouha is graded as one of the best NT in the league... We are signing him because he is good, not because of Ellis developing slowly.

Your right about Wilson and Ducasse though, those draft picks have not lived up to expectations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Your starting RT should be able to block and block well in 1 on 1 situations. Especially if you consider yourself a SB contending team. Offense can't operate in max-protect. Backs need to be able to run routes and not always stay in to help block.

He started 16 games bc the only player behind him was Ducasse. That is more of an indictment on the Jets FO and coaching than it is a compliment to Wayne Hunter.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NPTJET53;4389529]Pouha is graded as one of the best NT in the league... We are signing him because he is good, not because of Ellis developing slowly.
    [/QUOTE]

No. Jets drafted Ellis to be Pouha's replacement, they weren't stockpiling DTs. Yes, Pouha is good and I am glad the Jets have him. That plan failed and now they have to sign Pouha. How good he is, is not the point. I think Cro is good as well. The point is that the failures in the draft have caused the Jets to spend big dollars in FA, on the same positions they drafted. Thus they are stuck in neutral and it makes it hard for them to improve.