Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Jets trying to trade Wayne Hunter

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Wilson played really well this year. [/QUOTE]

Guys picked in the 1st round that arent starting by year 3 stink to me. Either that or it was a waste of a pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4389988]Guys picked in the 1st round that arent starting by year 3 stink to me. Either that or it was a waste of a pick.[/QUOTE]

You had to say year 3 otherwise you would have been dissing Chaddy??:yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4389997]You had to say year 3 otherwise you would have been dissing Chaddy??:yes:[/QUOTE]

Of course. That's the real reason why he hates Tanny. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Choon328;4389958]Why do you guys continue to think that if a rookie doesn't have success early on that he is a bust? Drew Brees was an average QB for his first 3 seasons till he went to NO. Most of the time it takes guys a couple of years to really develop into a solid player. Have some patience.[/QUOTE]

Not saying Ellis is a bust. Not blaming Ellis. I am strictly talking about a situation. The Jets drafted Ellis to be Pouha replacement. Ellis has been slow to develop. I don't care what the reason is, that is a problem they are faced with no matter what caused it. Since that happened they are now basically forced to resign Pouha.

Again, I am not blaming Ellis I am aware that it takes players time to develop. But I believe the Jets believed after one year he would be ready and he is not.

Thus they had to draft and acquire the same position. This is now two years in a row. Wilson-Cro, Ellis-Pouha.

[QUOTE=Choon328;4389969]3rd round picks aren't meant to be starters from day one. Let's also not forget that there was no off-season and that I'm sure slowed Ellis' progression as well as the other rookies.[/QUOTE]

The Jets drafted him to be a starter. He was considered a steal bc he was projected to go in the first if not for his legal troubles.

I will say it again. I am not calling Wilson or Ellis busts. I am just pointing out that the Jets though they would be able to replace players and they weren't able to. This has cost the Jets a lot of cap space.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4390005]Again, I am not blaming Ellis I am aware that it takes players time to develop. But I believe the Jets believed after one year he would be ready and he is not.

[/QUOTE]
    Didn't he face (still does I believe) the prospect of being deported?

If so, I can't imagine they were counting on him to be a starter after year 1. Hoping may be a better description of the Jets thinking.

I think it's fair to say that the shortened offseason affected players. Some more than others. I think Ellis falls into the category of those that were negatively affected.

I'm more appalled at the Jets 4th round pick than I am with their 3rd rounder.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4390024]Didn't he face (still does I believe) the prospect of being deported?

If so, I can't imagine they were counting on him to be a starter after year 1. Hoping may be a better description of the Jets thinking.

I think it's fair to say that the shortened offseason affected players. Some more than others. I think Ellis falls into the category of those that were negatively affected.

I'm more appalled at the Jets 4th round pick than I am with their 3rd rounder.[/QUOTE]

well, they're in the process of re-signing pouha, who was initially considered a bust here as well. so maybe they figure they can groom ellis to take over. but yeah, i'm really hoping the jets get either martin or wilson to give the running game and short passing game some juice.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4390024]Didn't he face (still does I believe) the prospect of being deported?

I'm more appalled at the Jets 4th round pick than I am with their 3rd rounder.[/QUOTE]

Lets not get into Powell.

Should we put him on the 5-yr plan as well?:rolleyes:

BTW in a league where teams now draft QBs and they start from day one, I don't think it is out of question for them to treat the other positions the same way or have similar expectations. Which is why I believe Ellis and Wilson were supposed to be replacements and they just didnt work out as fast as the Jets thought.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-09-2012 at 02:58 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think either were drafted to replace their counterparts until their abilities wane past their cost. Rex loves CBs he'll always have 3-4 1st, borderline, 2nd tier guys. Ellis and Pouha rotate with Pouha playing more (alot more). If we lost Pouha or Cro then we'd be replacing their spots anyways.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4390036]Lets not get into Powell.

Should we put him on the 5-yr plan as well?:rolleyes:

BTW in a league where teams now draft QBs and they start from day one, I don't think it is out of question for them to treat the other positions the same way or have similar expectations. Which is why I believe Ellis and Wilson were supposed to be replacements and they just didnt work out as fast as the Jets thought.[/QUOTE]
    In 5 years, Powell will be in his 2nd year of flipping burgers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4390045]I don't think either were drafted to replace their counterparts until their abilities wane past their cost. Rex loves CBs he'll always have 3-4 1st, borderline, 2nd tier guys. Ellis and Pouha rotate with Pouha playing more (alot more). If we lost Pouha or Cro then we'd be replacing their spots anyways.[/QUOTE]

I disagree bc then you are using first-round talent to add depth. Your first round players should be the lynchpins.

I think it is wrong. To purchase high priced FAs and use your top picks on those same positions is bad. I think the strategy is flawed even if it is used at a position you think is very important. Rex loves DBs and was a DL coach, so he will always stockpile those guys. But he shouldn't stockpile via FA and first and second rounders.

How is this team supposed to get better at other positions. Either way you slice it, I think it has hurt the team. Whether they drafted for replacement and failed or drafted for depth (which in this case I think is even worse given where the players were drafted).

Again my issue is purchasing free agents and using your best picks to do the same thing.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 03-09-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4390055]In 5 years, Powell will be in his 2nd year of flipping burgers.[/QUOTE]

BK or McD's?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regarding the Wilson and Ellis picks, where both guys were picked, you go BPA, other than QB. If the braintrust felt those were the BPA, you make those picks, no matter what vets you have on the roster currently.

That aside, you need 3-4 quality corners in todays NFL and ant least two quality NTs if you're a base 3-4 D. Imagine if if we had no Pouha in 09 and 10 after Jenks went down.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only bad thing about this is that they might be starting to feel confident with Ducasse, who has shown even less than Hunter. Neither one deserves to be on the team this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought on the thread was; this is so fkcuing dumb!

[QUOTE=augustiniak;4389690]to pretend he's good, so we can trade him.[/QUOTE]

My second thought was this, and are the Browns on line 1?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJCAP2;4390319]My first thought on the thread was; this is so fkcuing dumb!

My second thought was this, and are the Browns on line 1?[/QUOTE]

Mangini ain't there anymore :mad:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389524]And now have to sign Pouha because Ellis has been slow to develop.

Not sure whether to put blame on coaches or players, there are many factors but the fact is that the Jets have been forced to draft and purchase the same positions. That is never a good thing.

If any of these draft picks were able to live up to the expectations the Jets would be sitting well under the cap and would be able to add Mario this year easily. Instead, they were forced to sign FAs to pick up for their shortcomings in the draft.[/QUOTE]

That's what happens when you trade away your draft year in and year out and sign a bunch of has beens while releasing productive players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4389988]Guys picked in the 1st round that arent starting by year 3 stink to me. Either that or it was a waste of a pick.[/QUOTE]

Wilson was not good last year. He was better than his rookie year, but that's not saying much.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=detectivekimble;4390542]Wilson was not good last year. He was better than his rookie year, but that's not saying much.[/QUOTE]

... strongly disagree with this ...

... k-dub's improvement over the season was impressive ...

... cb is our deepest position on the team with revis, cro, & k-dub...

l_j_r