Thread: Pro Football Focus stats on Slauson

Pro Football Focus stats on Slauson

Does anybody have access to the 2011 stats on Slauson? Would be interested to see them.

Of the 58 eligible guards that played 50% or more of the offensive snaps, he graded at 34.

He graded better at pass blocking than run blocking. His best grade was penalities.

Overal score was -3.2, -.9 in pass blocking, -4.4 in run blocking, and 2.1 in penalties.

He was credited with 4 qb sacks, 7 hits, and 13 pressures.

They also offer a Pass Blocking Efficiency stat where he ranks 27th out of 55 eligible guards.

Anyway you look at it, he was middle of the pack. Moore was ranked 7th in the leage in pass blocking efficiency for guards btw.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=herecomedajets;4389559]Of the 58 eligible guards that played 50% or more of the offensive snaps, he graded at 34.

He graded better at pass blocking than run blocking. His best grade was penalities.

Overal score was -3.2, -.9 in pass blocking, -4.4 in run blocking, and 2.1 in penalties.

They also offer a Pass Blocking Efficiency stat where he ranks 27th out of 55 eligible guards.

Anyway you look at it, he was middle of the pack. Moore was ranked 7th in the leage in pass blocking efficiency for guards btw.[/QUOTE]

... good info thx ...

(Edit - apologies, was discussing RT instead of LG there by mistake ... am happy with slauson's progress)

l_j_r
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 03-09-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    I have been very pleased with his development. I think he is only going to get better. You can see the improvement from game-to-game and month-to-month. So, IMO he passed the eye-test.

In 2010 he was neck and neck with Vlad. I think he will top out around the Top 15, which is more than enough when you consider he is playing between Mangold and Brick. He will never be a young Faneca, but he does not need to be with those guys surrounding him.

All the knocks I gave Cally and Tanny I have to give them a little credit on this one.

All League
    He graded out as league average in pretty much every way. He's not really a net negative to the line like Hunter was.

An average guard between Brick and Mangold is acceptable...

A RT who gives free releases is a disaster... That's our downfall on the line. Shore that up and the unit should play with far more pride and look better overall...

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4389573]An average guard between Brick and Mangold is acceptable...

A RT who gives free releases is a disaster... That's our downfall on the line. Shore that up and the unit should play with far more pride and look better overall...[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Jets can more than live with Slauson. He has been a pleasant surprise.

Hunter is unforgivable.

Don't forget Slauson also played this season with a torn rotator cuff, a torn labrum and a torn biceps..he's tough and will only get better. Great value for a 6th round pick

Throw in the fact that they are paying Slauson peanuts and it makes him that much more valuable. Not only comes down to how good someone is in a salary cap world, but how much they are getting paid as well. His value is tremendous to the team right now. Solid play out of someone who gets paid nothing.

[QUOTE=herecomedajets;4389559]Of the 58 eligible guards that played 50% or more of the offensive snaps, he graded at 34.

Anyway you look at it, he was middle of the pack. Moore was ranked 7th in the leage in pass blocking efficiency for guards btw.[/QUOTE]

Thanks much. Definitely a tremendous 6th rounder. The reason I asked is I remember reading a post, I believe from Bitonti, that mentioned the Jets thought of Slauson as a potential RT. Now, that might have been all Callahan, but if it still holds true, maybe a DeCastro or Konz might not seem so crazy?

Banned
    [QUOTE=section314;4389641]Thanks much. Definitely a tremendous 6th rounder. The reason I asked is I remember reading a post, I believe from Bitonti, that mentioned the Jets thought of Slauson as a potential RT. Now, that might have been all Callahan, but if it still holds true, maybe a DeCastro or Konz might not seem so crazy?[/QUOTE]

I would worry about his ability to block faster DEs on the outside.

That said he has the size for it. He looked like he grew a bit last year.

[IMG]http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/06/56/61/1764425/21/628x471.jpg[/IMG]

All League
    Performing "middle of the pack" is perfectly acceptable for Slauson. He is still young (should keep improving, unlike Hunter), is cheap and was severely injured last year. Hopefully he gets healthy and keeps improving.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389563]I have been very pleased with his development. I think he is only going to get better. You can see the improvement from game-to-game and month-to-month. So, IMO he passed the eye-test.

In 2010 he was neck and neck with Vlad. I think he will top out around the Top 15, which is more than enough when you consider he is playing between Mangold and Brick. He will never be a young Faneca, but he does not need to be with those guys surrounding him.

All the knocks I gave Cally and Tanny I have to give them a little credit on this one.[/QUOTE]
    Didn't Callahan have him at Nebraska?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4390316]Didn't Callahan have him at Nebraska?[/QUOTE]

Yeah. Looks like the Jets had some insider info on him. Still great value.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4389563]I have been very pleased with his development. I think he is only going to get better. You can see the improvement from game-to-game and month-to-month. So, IMO he passed the eye-test.

All the knocks I gave Cally and Tanny I have to give them a little credit on this one.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Plus Slauson seems to be very well respected in the clubhouse. Many times he answers reporters questions rather then other team leaders like Brick & Nick.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4389573]An average guard between Brick and Mangold is acceptable...

A RT who gives free releases is a disaster... That's our downfall on the line. Shore that up and the unit should play with far more pride and look better overall...[/QUOTE]

and yet BRICK allowed more sacks then Hunter and you seem to ignore that fact.

All League
    Just a disclaimer about all stats derived from Pro Football Focus. Its a site run by a football geek out of England of all places. He has managed to get many volunteers (mostly European NFL fans) who grade every player and every game. That's the good news.

The bad news is the people making judgments of a player's success or failure on each play is just another fan like you or I who may or may NOT really understand the game. He is completely unaware of the actual assignment that play may have had, AND he get all his info off the Network feed, not the coaches tape.

So because they are amateurs, have no idea what the actual assignments were, and can't see all the field, what you get for stats are merely one fan's guesses at what actually happened.

Slauson's ACTUAL play could very well be better than what PFF said.....or worse. I get pissed when they are quoted by some mediot to prove one thing or another, because of this unreliable methodology. Without the coaches tapes and knowledge of the actual assignments its all just guess work. I admire their ambition. I hate their inaccuracies.