Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teams inquire about Dwight Freeney trade...

All League

Dwight Freeney is on the block

Per Schefter...

[QUOTE=@AdamSchefter]Filed to ESPN: Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.[/QUOTE]Before you go all "Trade for this Beast!" etc etc, he still has an pretty decently large contract. Pretty sure he has 2 years left around $12m per.

Teams inquire about Dwight Freeney trade...

@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Gotta think Tanny would be in on this one. What do you guys think?

Wayne Hunter for Freeney. It's that easy.

Why is it the Jets have to always inquire about getting aging, expensive veterans that are nearly done with their career?

Stay far away from this as possible.

All League
    Pretty late in his career to convert him to a new position

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SyracuseJet;4389647]Wayne Hunter for Freeney. It's that easy.[/QUOTE]
    if Tanny was any good he would make that happen

lol

Jets Insider VIP
    4-3 end. Huge salary. Getting up there in age.

Sounds like a perfect fit. :rolleyes:

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4389649]Why is it the Jets have to always inquire about getting aging, expensive veterans that are nearly done with their career?

Stay far away from this as possible.[/QUOTE]

It's called due diligence, looking under every rock. If he didn't inquire he wouldn't be doing his job, giving more fodder for the "Can Tanny" crowd.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Woody56;4389650]Pretty late in his career to convert him to a new position[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that he doesn't want to play OLB.

I could see the fins landing him for their new 4-3/

What position would he play for us? He's too small to be a 3-4 DE and doesnt have the skills to be a 3-4 OLB.

Pass.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4389654]Not to mention that he doesn't want to play OLB.

I could see the fins landing him for their new 4-3/[/QUOTE]

The Fins should pretty much just go for the entire 2009 Colts roster.

Good point about the contract. Do you think Mario would aren't more money than that?

If you get Freeney, I'm sure you would extend his contract an make it more "cap friendly". I think he could be a great OLB for us... think Elvis Dumervil but better.

This is the kind of player that would make our D jump from top 5 in 2012 to top 5 this decade.

[QUOTE=nycuse;4389655]What position would he play for us? He's too small to be a 3-4 DE and doesnt have the skills to be a 3-4 OLB.

Pass.[/QUOTE]

He's a much better athlete than Pace or Thomas. He'd be fine at OLB. 3-4 OLBs don't have to drop in coverage. How often do you see Pace dropping other than into Flats or Hook zone? Rex could move Freeney all over the place.

if not for his age, I think he's a better fit for us than Mario Williams.

[QUOTE=Woody56;4389650]Pretty late in his career to convert him to a new position[/QUOTE]

Position conversion means nothing... He'd still be rushing from the exact same spot on 3rd downs... And why people care about pass coverage when he's only going to do it 10% of the time is beyond me.

That said, no to Freeney. He brings ZERO against the run and his sack numbers are likely only going to be around 10 at best. Indy is doing the smart thing by getting rid of him when people still think he has something left.

This team needs youth and speed on D, stay away.....far away

Veteran
    [QUOTE=CraigFL;4389653]It's called due diligence, looking under every rock. If he didn't inquire he wouldn't be doing his job, giving more fodder for the "Can Tanny" crowd.[/QUOTE]

that's exactly where we've been finding guys like hunter ducasse... under rocks. let's start looking at those that are in top of the damn rock

All League
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4389658]Good point about the contract. Do you think Mario would aren't more money than that?

If you get Freeney, I'm sure you would extend his contract an make it more "cap friendly". I think he could be a great OLB for us... think Elvis Dumervil but better.

This is the kind of player that would make our D jump from top 5 in 2012 to top 5 this decade.[/QUOTE]Mario is absolutely getting more money than that. Mario is getting Peppers cash, $40m guaranteed, 6/$80m+.

[QUOTE=Ruby2;4389654]Not to mention that he doesn't want to play OLB.

I could see the fins landing him for their new 4-3/[/QUOTE]

The Dolphins are going to be amazing next year. Besides Manning they'll be potentially adding Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday and now Dwight Freeney.

Patriots are signing Mario Williams.

And meanwhile the Jets are signing Patrick Turner and picking up Hunter's option.

[img]http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm10.jpg[/img]

Pure 4-3 end. No.

Bad trade. That said, I was sure they'd dump both him and Mathis.

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4389667]He's a much better athlete than Pace or Thomas. He'd be fine at OLB. 3-4 OLBs don't have to drop in coverage. How often do you see Pace dropping other than into Flats or Hook zone? Rex could move Freeney all over the place.

if not for his age, I think he's a better fit for us than Mario Williams.[/QUOTE]

Except the reason he's reportedly available is because he doesn't want to play 3-4 in Pagano's new Defense. So why would he want to play it here?

If you were going to invest big money in a pass rusher, Williams is the way to go. Younger, better, didn't ***** about the 3-4, ect.

Not that I think we're going to do either, if we do address the position it'll more then likely be in the draft.