Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teams inquire about Dwight Freeney trade...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4389760]Just like the stock market, past performance is not indicative of future results.

I hope you are wrong on this as Williams would be a godsend to the Pats defense.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, and that is the same argument I always use with Botonti when regarding the Jets and drafting WR's.

Its just hard to allready peg Williams to the Pats like its a done deal.

Veteran
    if bellichek get his head out of his ass and agrees to give the money to Mario... it will be anlong season in ny. bellichek thinks he's such a genius he can take any wannabe and produce a good def.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4389764]I hear you, and that is the same argument I always use with Botonti when regarding the Jets and drafting WR's.

Its just hard to allready peg Williams to the Pats like its a done deal.[/QUOTE]

Oh, no where do I think this is a done deal.

I just hope the Pats pursue him with a concerted effort.

You know he will eventually end up with the team who gives him the most money.

All League
    Reminder that Charles Johnson got 6/$72m w/$32m guaranteed. Mario is getting more than that and I think an argument can be made that he's the most significant UFA since Reggie White.

See also
    [url]http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18601/free-agent-hype-chronicles-mario-williams[/url]

[QUOTE=Grantland]To be quite honest, Mario Williams shouldn't be a free agent. The Houston Texans failing to negotiate a contract extension with Williams before his deal expired will go down as one of the great mistakes in league history, like the Eagles failing to lock up Reggie White, or the Falcons letting Deion Sanders go. Their inability to lock up Williams with the franchise tag is going to be a franchise-defining moment for two teams: the Texans and whatever team is lucky enough to add the most valuable defender in the history of free agency to their roster.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4389768]if bellichek get his head out of his ass and agrees to give the money to Mario... it will be anlong season in ny. bellichek thinks he's such a genius he can take any wannabe and produce a good def.[/QUOTE]

Belichick is a defensive genius the problem is he hasn't had any talent on defense to work with since the 2008 season which is when most of that veteran core left. Give Bell Belichick a player like Mario Williams and watch out.

Watch the last Super Bowl. There were several key plays where Belichick called exactly the right defense and his players failed to execute resulting in big plays for the Giants.

[QUOTE=ozu;4389773]Reminder that Charles Johnson got 6/$72m w/$32m guaranteed. Mario is getting more than that and I think an argument can be made that he's the most significant UFA since Reggie White.
    [/QUOTE]

That's correct. Unless some fluke happens and the salary cap gets increased by a huge number in the next 2 weeks there is no way Mario Williams is getting franchise tagged so he is Unrestricted 100%. [B] No draft picks necessary just pay the man.[/B]

It's funny because the same people telling me there's no way the Jets can create cap room for Mario are the same people who guaranteed on this messageboard and other sites that Mario would be franchise tagged by Houston and there was no way he'd ever leave the Texans.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 03-09-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4389780]

Watch the last Super Bowl. There were several key plays where Belichick called exactly the right defense and his players failed to execute resulting in big plays for the Giants.

[/QUOTE]

Outstanding observation!

That also occured many times during the regular season.

Wonder if they have any interest in Hunter for Freeney.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4389785]Outstanding observation!

That also occured many times during the regular season.[/QUOTE]

Like smart fans say if the players don't execute the play don't get made..:yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4389649]Why is it the Jets have to always inquire about getting aging, expensive veterans that are nearly done with their career?

[/QUOTE]
    Due diligence.

It's a process.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4389654]Not to mention that he doesn't want to play OLB.

[B]I could see the fins landing him for their new 4-3[/B]/[/QUOTE]
    Considering that Manning and Wayne will already be signed there, this makes sense. A Colts reunion.

[QUOTE=detjetsfan;4389780]Belichick is a defensive genius the problem is he hasn't had any talent on defense to work with since the 2008 season which is when most of that veteran core left. Give Bell Belichick a player like Mario Williams and watch out.

Watch the last Super Bowl. There were several key plays where Belichick called exactly the right defense and his players failed to execute resulting in big plays for the Giants.[/QUOTE]

if they had kept seymour maybe they would have won.

[QUOTE=CraigFL;4389653]It's called due diligence, looking under every rock. If he didn't inquire he wouldn't be doing his job, giving more fodder for the "Can Tanny" crowd.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what got him on the hot seat in the first place. Jenkins, Favre, Edwards, Holmes... Just off the top of my head. 3 out of 4 are not on the team. 1 is a cancer.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4389788]Wonder if they have any interest in Hunter for Freeney.[/QUOTE]

LMAO.

here's a thought...Holmes for Freeney? I don't want Freeney just playin along.

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4389652]4-3 end. Huge salary. Getting up there in age.

Sounds like a perfect fit. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Redskins are going to be all over this one. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=detjetsfan;4389758]Trading for the diva Randy Moss wasn't considered Belichick style either yet he still did it in 2007.[/QUOTE]

C Dillon and the countless stories about the Belly/Pats straightening out problem players?

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4389644]@AdamSchefter: Filed to ESPN: Colts are fielding telephone calls from teams interested in trading for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Dwight Freeney.

Gotta think Tanny would be in on this one. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

He's not a 3-4 end.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4389693]The Dolphins are going to be amazing next year. Besides Manning they'll be potentially adding Reggie Wayne, Jeff Saturday and now Dwight Freeney.

Patriots are signing Mario Williams.

And meanwhile the Jets are signing Patrick Turner and picking up Hunter's option.

[img]http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm10.jpg[/img][/QUOTE]

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

[QUOTE=Gastineau99;4389667]He's a much better athlete than Pace or Thomas. He'd be fine at OLB. 3-4 OLBs don't have to drop in coverage. How often do you see Pace dropping other than into Flats or Hook zone? Rex could move Freeney all over the place.

[B]if not for his age, I think he's a better fit for us than Mario Williams.[/QUOTE][/B]

:huh::huh::huh:

[QUOTE=Rambler;4390077]He's not a 3-4 end.[/QUOTE]

No, he'd be a 3-4 OLB. Duh