Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mario Williams watch

JetsInsider.com Legend

Mario Williams watch

Think the Jets will make a run at him?

I am just catching up on the Sanchez news. How much more cap space do we now have available?

Also, if we bring back BE and add Williams in FA the offseason will be a huge success. It will give the Jets many options for the draft. Assuming what I just posted, now if TR drops to us in the draft, Jets can grab him as BAP. Also allows us to fix oline.

Tonight's move is a grand slam.

All League
    Good to see ya pop in 3.

Mario won't happen.

Lets get Mario and lets get Karl Malone's kid from Buffalo and move him to Right Tackle.

Veteran
    It's highly unlikely we get Mario... He wants too much money, not willing to give the texans a discount to stay at home, and we have other positions to fill rather than tying up one player...

Jets Insider VIP
    Estimates have him asking for more than $16M a year. We don't have that much cash...there's no way we get him. That said, this is great news for guys who have been on the Carl Nicks bandwagon as I have for 3 months now.

All League
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4390933]It's highly unlikely we get Mario... He wants too much money, not willing to give the texans a discount to stay at home, and we have other positions to fill rather than tying up one player...[/QUOTE]

Williams is at a position that's worth the $$$. Rex needs edge rushers that can get to the QB rushing 4.

Imagine how good this D would be if we didn't have to send the house every damn time just to sometimes get pressure? Sending 4 would be a dream for our secondary. We wouldn't need a badass safety. That one signing would actually fills a lot of holes on our D.

Rookie
    I think our Jets will make a run at him, but he will wan too much $.
    I'm expecting a major trade from Tanny. Maybe Dallas?

Veteran
    [QUOTE=KingofNY;4390936]Williams is at a position that's worth the $$$. Rex needs edge rushers that can get to the QB rushing 4.

Imagine how good this D would be if we didn't have to send the house every damn time just to sometimes get pressure? Sending 4 would be a dream for our secondary. We wouldn't need a badass safety. That one signing would actually fills a lot of holes on our D.[/QUOTE]

I can't share your excitement... I've watched more than enough Mario Williams plays to know he is actually not worth the money he's asking... Yes he is a great player, however he has that Tracy McGrady syndrome "I'm gonna play hard every now and then to keep my name buzzing"... Ask any texans fan if they want Mario back, guarantee many would not lose sleep...

Forgive my ignorance, wasn't he a 4-3 DE until only recently? And then he played 3-4 OLB last year and got injured? Why spend $16 mil on a piece that doesn't fit? He's not a typical 3-4 DE and who knows if he can play standing up, in the variety of roles Rex likes to use his guys.

Also, what about that injury history?

"In addition to his torn pectoral muscle from 2011 an injury that recurs easily Williams suffered a hernia in 2010 that cost him the final few games of the year. Including the two playoff games from this year, Williams has only played in five of Houston's last 16 games."

[url]http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/18975/free-agent-hype-chronicles-the-other-side[/url]

Too much risk for me at $16-20 mil. Would rather Nicks + a safety + odds and ends for that same price, and then go pass rush in the draft.

Would rather have Nicks and others including BE rather than breaking the bank on Mario

Rookie
    +1 get Carl Nicks!

All Pro
    cut pace, scott... opens up room for jarrett johnson & mario williams

[QUOTE=FijiJet;4390971]Would rather have Nicks and others including BE rather than breaking the bank on Mario[/QUOTE]

The Cowboys and Jerry Jones have set their sights on Carl Nicks. It would be a shock if her ended up any place beside Dallas. The Jets will be looking for a Rt more in freeagency, than a guard.

I see Denver Broncos being big players for Mario williams. (have alot more money to play aro0und in Fa, than the Jet have. The Chiefs for Paul Soliai
    Last edited by Raider9175; 03-10-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Veteran
    16 mill to a guy who's played 5 games at olb. no thanks. but but he had 5 sacks in 5 games. sorry too small of a sample size at olb to throw around that cash.

Jets Insider VIP
    Williams is not a linebacker. Pass.

[QUOTE=KingofNY;4390936]Williams is at a position that's worth the $$$. Rex needs edge rushers that can get to the QB rushing 4.

Imagine how good this D would be if we didn't have to send the house every damn time just to sometimes get pressure? Sending 4 would be a dream for our secondary. We wouldn't need a badass safety. That one signing would actually fills a lot of holes on our D.[/QUOTE]

We are already paying GOD money to Revis and unfortunately Scott ... we dont have that much to put on one position imho. Time will tell.

All Pro

No way, in hell.

No way, no how. $16 million a season? For about 5 season's at least?

Um no thank you. He's already missed significant playing time at a young age.

All League
    Break the bank on Mario, he needs to be in NY

[QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4391066]No way, in hell.

No way, no how. $16 million a season? For about 5 season's at least?

Um no thank you. He's already missed significant playing time at a young age.[/QUOTE]

I am leaning towards this sentiment as well now ... that's too much cash when we are being bent over by Revis already.