Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mario Williams watch

[QUOTE=Chrisrud;4391208]Nicks isn't coming here. Vernon Carey is the OL the Jets are going to sign[/QUOTE]

I heard Carey's staying in Miami (he's from there and played college and NFL there his entire life). Plus he's not even a Right Tackle anymore. Sparano moved him to Right Guard b/c he felt Carey wasn't quick enough to play OT anymore and we still have Moore.

If Carey is willing to play for significantly less money than Moore ok I understand but at this point he'd be the same thing as Hunter at Right Tackle. Actually, believe it or not Wayne Hunter may actually be a better pass protector at this point of his career.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4391176]I am leaning towards this sentiment as well now ... that's too much cash when we are being bent over by Revis already.[/QUOTE]

Bad example. Revis is by far the best player at his position in the NFL, while Williams not close to being the best at his.

[QUOTE=section314;4391353]Bad example. Revis is by far the best player at his position in the NFL, while Williams not close to being the best at his.[/QUOTE]

Okay, Mario Williams is not the best pass rusher in the NFL. He is just one of the best.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Raider9175;4391290]They are talking about Carl Nicks the stud Guard from the Saints. He a beast at guard that would improve anyone oline. [B]What Nicks are you talking about[/B].[/QUOTE]
    Stevie??
    [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/StevieNicks2.jpg/220px-StevieNicks2.jpg[/IMG]

[QUOTE=NYJ0815;4390935]Estimates have him asking for more than $16M a year. We don't have that much cash...there's no way we get him. [/QUOTE]

You don't know that. We just restructured Brick which saved $7 mil against next season's cap. There's the cap rollover which is reportedly a significant amount of money. If this contract for Sanchez turns his cap number from $14 mil to $4-5 mil we will have enough to sign Mario Williams.

David Harris is still going to get restructured plus Eric Smith, Pitouta and others haven't been cut yet.

If the Jets do all this just to upgrade at LG I'm gonna be hella pissed.

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4391204]Nicks is raw, and has only one year of starting experience at the D1 level. He needs time to refine his skills because he has been successful because of his physical traits. [B]As a 25 year old rookie[/B], the time needed to refine his skills make scare some teams off.

this was a scouting report on nicks in 2008. can't really blame jets for this one as well as no way to know ainge would have drug issues[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't really rely on that report, consider Carl Nicks was 23 years old as a rookie. :eek:

Rookie
    [QUOTE=detjetsfan;4391380]You don't know that. We just restructured Brick which saved $7 mil against next season's cap. There's the cap rollover which is reportedly a significant amount of money. If this contract for Sanchez turns his cap number from $14 mil to $4-5 mil we will have enough to sign Mario Williams.

David Harris is still going to get restructured plus Eric Smith, Pitouta and others haven't been cut yet.

If the Jets do all this just to upgrade at LG I'm gonna be hella pissed.[/QUOTE]

Williams is a great pass rusher, don't get me wrong. But he has a rep for getting injured a ton and taking plays off. Its a bit risky to hand him a $15+M/yr contract. As talented as he is, we have a bunch of holes. I'd rather upgrade and add youth/speed to the defense in a couple spots (OLB, S) than drop all the cash in one place. For example, Manny Lawson may not be the sexiest name in the world, but add him and a guy like Melvin ingram and all of a sudden your D is a lot more imposing up front.

All League
    Sure I would love to have Mario, but man he's gonna be a very expensive signing. Don't the Jets already have enough players who are making top dollar and eating up the majority of the cap space? I think I would prefer the Jets to make a couple of inexpensive, prudent FA acquisitions, and use the Draft to bolster the roster.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Savage69;4391365]Stevie??
    [IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6f/StevieNicks2.jpg/220px-StevieNicks2.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

... still love her voice ... she was good stuff back in the day :cool: ...

[IMG]http://rockalittle.com/nicksfix149.jpg[/IMG]

l_j_r

Veteran
    If only the wishful thinking would stop? I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bucs or Jags snatch him... As long as he doesn't have on green and white next year... You guys complaining about our "many problems" now, are really gonna be chatting it up and venting your frustration this time next year if through some unforseen way Mario becomes a JET...

[QUOTE=Play2Win;4391204]Nicks is raw, and has only one year of starting experience at the D1 level. He needs time to refine his skills because he has been successful because of his physical traits. As a 25 year old rookie, the time needed to refine his skills make scare some teams off.

this was a scouting report on nicks in 2008. can't really blame jets for this one as well as no way to know ainge would have drug issues[/QUOTE]

Nonsense, the drug issues or party issues where there in college apparently. a number of people on our draft forum wanted nicks that year and when he fell to the 5th round they were aghast we passed him over. This was not hindsight.

[QUOTE=lamont_jordan_rules;4391550]

[IMG]http://rockalittle.com/nicksfix149.jpg[/IMG]

l_j_r[/QUOTE]

Nice one .. totally brings back memories of Corvette Summer, Boston or Zeppelin on the radio, etc .. .. lol.

[QUOTE=SBIII;4390891]Think the Jets will make a run at him?[/QUOTE]

I hope to hell they can find a way to get them, the Jets desperately could use a premier pass rusher!

I would love to have this guy as he would likely do wonders for our pass rush. But with the cap situation still a little hazy I'm not exactly holding my breath.

I don't think we can afford Mario Williams. We have a ton of holes to fill and we have almost no cap space.

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;4391803]I don't think we can afford Mario Williams. We have a ton of holes to fill and we have almost no cap space.[/QUOTE]

The Sanchez restructure opened up another 6mill in cap space. Jets may have over 15 mil in space now:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=barkus;4391890]The Sanchez restructure opened up another 6mill in cap space. Jets may have over 15 mil in space now:yes:[/QUOTE]

Thats good, but not nearly enough for a guy like Mario. The Jets have a lot needs and using all their cap space on one guy would be foolish at this point.

[QUOTE=hatnlvr;4391803]I don't think we can afford Mario Williams. We have a ton of holes to fill and we have almost no cap space.[/QUOTE]

Look at how the Pats have "filled holes" in the past. The gulf between a Patrick Turner and an average NFL receiver is much smaller than the gulf between an average pass rusher and a star.

Draft picks and JAGs and [b]Mario[/b] for this offseason, please.

Veteran
    he'll give the jets a discount cuz everyone loves playing for Rex :D