Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THe Sanchez Contract

THe Sanchez Contract

I keep hearing 2 numbers regarding Sanchez, $20.5M and $27.5M in guarantees. Does anyone know which it is? I'm curious how much it would actually cost to cut Sanchez next season, if it's $9M, I understand the move, if it's $13M, I'm less understanding

If you want, this can be merged with the other Sanchez stuff, but there are some cap things to consider. That I wanted people to see before this gets dumped with the pro sanchez/anti sanchez debate

1. The Jets have little cap room this year

2. The Cap is expected to be greater in 2013, because of the TV deal

3. The Jets will have a lot more cap room next season (Scott and Pace will be cut, $16M saved, Eric Smith will save anouter $3M, etc.)

4. The Jets have no major FAs next season (Keller, Greene, Slauson, Moore)

5. On the chance Sanchez does become a top 12 QB, the Jets have signed a pretty good deal for a top tier QB.

_______

Is it perfect? no
    Is it risky? Yes

However, there is a lot of logic behind it, to say it "makes no sense at all" is a bit silly.

Before this contract the Jets save $9 mil against next season's cap if they cut Sanchez.

Apparently the Jets are saving $$$ against their cap next season due to this contract extension which was really a restructure. How much $$$ is the key.

[QUOTE]Jets sign Mark Sanchez to a 3-year extension. They're invested in him for next 2 years with $20.5M in guarantees [/QUOTE]

That's the number a few people have. How much wiggle room does that give us to sign any big names this offseason??

Hall Of Fame
    I am waiting for someone to post a breakdown of his contract in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. Similar to what is done on nyjcap. Would like to see the what is guaranteed and what is dead if cut, etc.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4391377]That's the number a few people have. How much wiggle room does that give us to sign any big names this offseason??[/QUOTE]

So nothing is guaranteed after 2013?

That is unless he reaches an escalator like winning a SB or something like that.

I hope the escalator isnt "make the playoffs"

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4391384]So nothing is guaranteed after 2013?

That is unless he reaches an escalator like winning a SB or something like that.

I hope the escalator isnt "make the playoffs"[/QUOTE]

Guess not..
    [QUOTE]Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2012, 8:42 AM EST

AP
    I resisted repeating any of the various reports that emerged last night regarding Mark Sanchez’s new contract because the word “guarantee” was being thrown around casually, like it was when Donovan McNabb got $40 million guaranteed from the Redskins in 2010 — and the truth was that he got only $3.5 million.

Per a source with knowledge of the deal, Sanchez will receive $20.5 million in fully guaranteed money over the next two seasons as part of his new contract, with no offsets.

It means that Sanchez will be the starting quarterback for at least two more seasons — unless the Jets are willing to pay him the same amount not to be.

The extension pays out $40.5 million total, pushing his total deal to five years and $58.25 million. And, for now, it puts Sanchez at No. 6 or No. 7 on the quarterback pay list.

And so Sanchez will be the starter — or at least make starter money — for two more years. What happens after that depends on what happens in the next two seasons.

Once we get the official breakdown, we’ll break it all down. For now, it’s safe to say that this isn’t a phony, stop-gap contract. Which may be great news for Sanchez, but possibly bad news for Jets fans[/QUOTE]

Jason...paging Jason....

Ive been refreshing the NJ cap site to see a breakdown of what the contract actually looks like, how much it helps us for this years FA, and how much the end years are if this doesn't work out.

Should be interesting to see the structure.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4391384]So nothing is guaranteed after 2013?

I hope the escalator isnt "make the playoffs"[/QUOTE]

Why not? Can you honestly imagine a scenario where we cut a QB who has lead us to the playoffs 3 of his first 4 seasons?

I get that the 20.5 is fully guaranteed.

But, the Jets are in a position where they are better off taking a $14 (or 12M) cap hit next season for Sanchez and signing an extra FA due to extra cap money and fewer big $ obligations, vs. being hamstrung in 2012 and being able to cut Sanchez for $2.5M in 2013.

Just as most people said that the cap wasn't going to go up much in 2012, most are saying it will go up a lot in 2013.

With that in mind, it makes more sense to try and land a big FA this year, rather than next year.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Postseason;4391404]Why not? Can you honestly imagine a scenario where we cut a QB who has [B]lead[/B] us to the playoffs 3 of his first 4 seasons?[/QUOTE]

Lets be honest. He has yet to do that once.

2009 and 2010 he was along for ride in regular season and made a few plays to help win the playoff games.

Hall Of Fame
    I am beginning to think this contract has some outs in it for the Jets.

They basically gave him one extra year IMO. I thought he was going to be the QB no matter what this year. I did however think he should not be guaranteed 2013. I guess the Jets are going to give him two years in this "new" system to judge him. I felt that the "first year in new system" would eventually become an excuse for them so they basically made it a moot point.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4391413]I am beginning to think this contract has some outs in it for the Jets.

They basically gave him one extra year IMO. I thought he was going to be the QB no matter what this year. I did however think he should not be guaranteed 2013. I guess the Jets are going to give him two years in this "new" system to judge him. I felt that the "first year in new system" would eventually become an excuse for them so they basically made it a moot point.[/QUOTE]

I just think the Jets are willing to take a large cap hit on Sanchez next season.

To look at it another way. The salary cap is about fitting the best 51 players under the cap in any given season. but it's not linear.

Having $3M free in 2012 and $30M free in 2013 is not as good (to the Jets mgmt) as having $10M free in 2012 and $15M free in 2013.

worrying about how much Sanchez costs to cut in 2013 is less relevant than how much overall room they have in 2013. It just seems like the same thing.

I heard his number is going down to like $7mil this year. Huge savings, so Tanny has a lot to play with this offseason.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4391463]I just think the Jets are willing to take a large cap hit on Sanchez next season.

To look at it another way. The salary cap is about fitting the best 51 players under the cap in any given season. but it's not linear.

Having $3M free in 2012 and $30M free in 2013 is not as good (to the Jets mgmt) as having $10M free in 2012 and $15M free in 2013.

worrying about how much Sanchez costs to cut in 2013 is less relevant than how much overall room they have in 2013. It just seems like the same thing.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4391398]Jason...paging Jason....

Ive been refreshing the NJ cap site to see a breakdown of what the contract actually looks like, how much it helps us for this years FA, and how much the end years are if this doesn't work out.

Should be interesting to see the structure.[/QUOTE]

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/nyjetscap"][B]nyjetscap[/B] ‏ @[B]nyjetscap[/B] [/URL]
    No ideas on the extension details other than reports. Very surprised they made this move.

All League
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4391408]I get that the 20.5 is fully guaranteed.

But, the Jets are in a position where they are better off taking a $14 (or 12M) cap hit next season for Sanchez and signing an extra FA due to extra cap money and fewer big $ obligations, vs. being hamstrung in 2012 [B]and being able to cut Sanchez for $2.5M in 2013.[/B]

Just as most people said that the cap wasn't going to go up much in 2012, most are saying it will go up a lot in 2013.

With that in mind, it makes more sense to try and land a big FA this year, rather than next year.[/QUOTE]

is this the case? I've been trying to get this answer all morning...I thought I'd heard that under the old deal, unless the Jets parted ways with Sanchez THIS year, they were basically committing to him for two because it would have been really expensive to cut him in 2013. But I'm not well versed on this and would like to hear from someone who knows.

If what you say is correct, that changes this landscape on this new deal a lot.

[QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4391367]I keep hearing 2 numbers regarding Sanchez, $20.5M and $27.5M in guarantees. Does anyone know which it is? I'm curious how much it would actually cost to cut Sanchez next season, if it's $9M, I understand the move, if it's $13M, I'm less understanding

If you want, this can be merged with the other Sanchez stuff, but there are some cap things to consider. That I wanted people to see before this gets dumped with the pro sanchez/anti sanchez debate

1. The Jets have little cap room this year

2. The Cap is expected to be greater in 2013, because of the TV deal

3. The Jets will have a lot more cap room next season (Scott and Pace will be cut, $16M saved, Eric Smith will save anouter $3M, etc.)

4. The Jets have no major FAs next season (Keller, Greene, Slauson, Moore)

5. On the chance Sanchez does become a top 12 QB, the Jets have signed a pretty good deal for a top tier QB.

_______

Is it perfect? no
    Is it risky? Yes

However, there is a lot of logic behind it, to say it "makes no sense at all" is a bit silly.[/QUOTE]

Just a note. The cap is expected to remain flat in 2013. The new TV deals don't kick in until 2014 when the cap is expected to go up 30-40%. The 2013 cap will be around the same number as this year.

[QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4391510]is this the case? I've been trying to get this answer all morning...I thought I'd heard that under the old deal, unless the Jets parted ways with Sanchez THIS year, they were basically committing to him for two because it would have been really expensive to cut him in 2013. But I'm not well versed on this and would like to hear from someone who knows.

If what you say is correct, that changes this landscape on this new deal a lot.[/QUOTE]

I didn't write that very well.

For the Jets to cut Sanchez BEFORE the new deal, it would have cost $2.5 M against the cap (Saving $6M vs. keeping him)

we don't know what the new deal costs exactly.

My general point is this: I believe, based on the Jets actions, that they believe that having $10M free in 2012 and $15M free in 2013 (this number is somewhat arbitrary) is better than having $3M free in 2012 and $30M free in 2013.

Essentially the $7M dollars between $3M and $10M (again, this is a guess, I don't know how much the Jets are saving) in 2012 are worth more than the $15M dollars between $15M and $30M (also a guess, I don't know how much the Jets are actually giving up) in 2013 because of the reasons I mentioned before (higher salary cap, different FA picture, etc, more room in their cap picture)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4391495][URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/nyjetscap"][B]nyjetscap[/B] ‏ @[B]nyjetscap[/B] [/URL]
    No ideas on the extension details other than reports. Very surprised they made this move.[/QUOTE]

LOL.

I would love to see his opinion on how this effects Revis in upcoming years, if at all and Keller. The idea that it is only two-years guaranteed might help the situation and allow for them to restructure if he improves and they want to keep him.

If the Jets sign another mid-level FA I think they are going to be very hard pressed to keep some of these guys together.

[QUOTE=Rob0729;4391519]Just a note. The cap is expected to remain flat in 2013. The new TV deals don't kick in until 2014 when the cap is expected to go up 30-40%. The 2013 cap will be around the same number as this year.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that changes things somewhat, but I imagine the Jets can split a cap hit btwn 2013-2014.