Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THe Sanchez Contract

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rob0729;4391519]Just a note. The cap is expected to remain flat in 2013. The new TV deals don't kick in until 2014 when the cap is expected to go up [B]30-40%[/B]. The 2013 cap will be around the same number as this year.[/QUOTE]

Wow. 30-40 percent seems like a lot.

Veteran
    Rochester, NY--Originally from Long Island
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4391534]LOL.

I would love to see his opinion on how this effects Revis in upcoming years, if at all and Keller. The idea that it is only two-years guaranteed might help the situation and allow for them to restructure if he improves and they want to keep him.

If the Jets sign another mid-level FA I think they are going to be very hard pressed to keep some of these guys together.[/QUOTE]

Dump Keller! He is not worth what he will ask for. Very replaceable at a cheaper price.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4391543]Wow. 30-40 percent seems like a lot.[/QUOTE]

it's a big freakin TV deal

Staggering.

That's as apt a decription as any [URL="http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011/12/nfl-announces-extensions-with-nbc-cbs-and-fox-includes-several-new-wrinkles/"][B] of the numbers being thrown around about the latest NFL-TV contracts.[/B][/URL]

It was announced Wednesday that begining in 2014 the NFL has extended its broadcast agreements with CBS, Fox and NBC through 2022, generating additional billions. Earlier this year the league made similar deals with ESPN and DirecTV. Currently, all the broadcast partners pay the NFL almost $4.8 Billion a year.

When the extenion kicks in, before Jerry Jones and his fellow owners sell a single ticket, luxury box, or sponsorship, they will divide almost [B]$7 Billion a year[/B] in media generated revenue.

The broadcast networks will be supplying a little over $3 Billion of the payment, and here is what each will get for their money.

[URL]http://www.barkingcarnival.com/2011/12/14/nfl-networks-agree-to-multi-billion-dollar-extention/[/URL]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"][B]Manish Mehta [/B] ‏ @[B]TheJetsStream[/B] [/URL]
    If Jets kept Sanchez in '12&'13 (no ext.), they would have paid $17.25M. Now, they simply added $3.25M gtd in exchange for 3 more yrs [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23nfl"]#[B]nfl[/B][/URL]

Jets had $11.25M investment in Sanchez in 2012 (8.5M base+2.75 roster bonus) & $6M in '13 ($4.5M +$1.5 bonus) w/no extension. Total: $17.25M

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i guess the objective view just taking sanchez's performance last season is that sanchez does not deserve a contract extension of any kind. however, the nfl is all about funny money so by extending sanchez they can reduce the cap hit this year and next. will it disrupt the locker room? probably not. any player who thinks their team can win without a qb is being foolish. qb's are the highest paid players because the offense starts (and ends) with their play. what this extension also does is put the blame for the jet offensive woes squarely on schitty. tanny and rex are basically saying "we know you played poorly because the players around you weren't being coached well and the plays and play calling stunk". if sanchez has a very good season, all will be forgiven.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/adbrandt"][B]Andrew Brandt[/B] ‏ @[B]adbrandt[/B] [/URL]
    In sum, the Jets added three years to the Sanchez contract for an additional $2.75M in 2013 and guaranteeing what was already there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4391557][URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"][B]Manish Mehta [/B] ‏ @[B]TheJetsStream[/B] [/URL]
    If Jets kept Sanchez in '12&'13 (no ext.), they would have paid $17.25M. Now, they simply added $3.25M gtd in exchange for 3 more yrs [URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/search/%23nfl"]#[B]nfl[/B][/URL]

Jets had $11.25M investment in Sanchez in 2012 (8.5M base+2.75 roster bonus) & $6M in '13 ($4.5M +$1.5 bonus) w/no extension. Total: $17.25M[/QUOTE]

This works towards my general point. Because of the extra money in 2014, plus the space next year with Pace & Scott coming off the books, the Jets simply feel that the extra $3M spent over 2 years (probably a lot will be moved until 2014) is worth it to get space this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4391530]I didn't write that very well.

For the Jets to cut Sanchez BEFORE the new deal, it would have cost $2.5 M against the cap (Saving $6M vs. keeping him)

we don't know what the new deal costs exactly.

My general point is this: I believe, based on the Jets actions, that they believe that having $10M free in 2012 and $15M free in 2013 (this number is somewhat arbitrary) is better than having $3M free in 2012 and $30M free in 2013.

Essentially the $7M dollars between $3M and $10M (again, this is a guess, I don't know how much the Jets are saving) in 2012 are worth more than the $15M dollars between $15M and $30M (also a guess, I don't know how much the Jets are actually giving up) in 2013 because of the reasons I mentioned before (higher salary cap, different FA picture, etc, more room in their cap picture)[/QUOTE]

yeah, I see what you're saying. and it makes sense.

but you're basing this on the assumption that under the old contract it was relatively cheap to cut ties with sanchez next year, while it will cost significantly more to cut him next year under the NEW contract. My understanding was that it was difficult under the old as well....but maybe i was mistaken.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4391590]yeah, I see what you're saying. and it makes sense.

but you're basing this on the assumption that under the old contract it was relatively cheap to cut ties with sanchez next year, while it will cost significantly more to cut him next year under the NEW contract. My understanding was that it was difficult under the old as well....but maybe i was mistaken.[/QUOTE]

I'm basing that off of [URL="http://www.nyjetscap.com/salary13.html"]Jason's Cap page[/URL] (Which is an incredibly detailed resource for this sort of thing)

This doesn't include the new Sanchez deal - since the details haven't been reported yet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this in another thread...

It's basically coming down to this IMO...

Woody has agreed to give this regime (GM, HC, QB, Holmes and others) the next 2 seasons to get to the SB (which will be in NJ Feb '14)....If not....Major changes could be coming..JMO

The salary cap will [B]jump[/B] for the 2014 NFL season due to the new TV contracts...

So it will be the perfect time to dump out the old trash and start anew.

Like it or not that is what this is all about...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gaffneycatch;4391590]yeah, I see what you're saying. and it makes sense.

but you're basing this on the assumption that under the old contract it was relatively cheap to cut ties with sanchez next year, while it will cost significantly more to cut him next year under the NEW contract. My understanding was that it was difficult under the old as well....but maybe i was mistaken.[/QUOTE]

so basically they freed up cap space for the next 2 yrs, in exchange for guaranteeing sanchez's contract for the next 2 yrs. so they're married 2 more years, and the jets can still cut him after 2 more years with no worse of a cap hit than before the restructuring?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4391634]so basically they freed up cap space for the next 2 yrs, in exchange for guaranteeing sanchez's contract for the next 2 yrs. so they're married 2 more years, and the jets can still cut him after 2 more years with no worse of a cap hit than before the restructuring?[/QUOTE]

I'm not even convinced they are married two more years.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Jets can split the cap hit btwn 2013 and 2014 (please correct if I'm wrong). and if so, they may be willing take the hit next year if need be.

Also, If Sanchez is better, but not great (Say similar to Flacco's year, 20tds/12 ints, 60% Pass Comp), and the Jets go 10-6/11-5, they get another year to decide on a young QB who'improved with a new offense. These are all worst case scenarios.

But, one thing is for sure, despite the spin, this is no sign that the Jets are totally committed to Sanchez, just a sign the Jets were in a good negotiation situation, and we willing to sacrifice a $3M to make that happen
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 03-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Jets quarterback [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5192/mark-sanchez"]Mark Sanchez[/URL] will earn $20.5 million in guaranteed money in 2012 and 2013 as part of his new contract. The fact, however, that Sanchez already was due to earn $17.75 million over the next two seasons has prompted one league source to characterize the move as a “lipstick and powder” deal.

For an extra $2.75 million, Sanchez gave the Jets three straight option years, allowing the team to keep him if he finally realizes his full potential — and to cut him without further investment after the 2013 season, the 2014 season, or the 2015 season.

The contract also could be called a glorified restructuring. Per a source with knowledge of the details, Sanchez’s $11.75 million base salary for 2012 has been converted to an $8 million signing bonus, a fully-guaranteed base salary of $3.25 million, and a $500,000 workout bonus.

The move creates $6.4 million in 2012 cap space.

In 2013, Sanchez will receive a fully-guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million. In 2014, Sanchez is due to receive a $2 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league year and a non-guaranteed $9 million base salary. In 2015, there’s another $1 million roster bonus due on the 15th day of the league year, plus a non-guaranteed base salary of $12.5 million. In 2016, Sanchez is due another $1 million roster bonus on the 15th day of the league yeaar, plus a base salary of $10.75 million. Workout bonuses of $500,000 apply in each year of the deal.

The contract contains $10 million in potential escalators, based in part on Super Bowl appearances and/or victories.

Given the organization’s apparent mixed feelings about Sanchez, getting the extra money and converting all of it to a guaranteed payment was a good career move. He could have been dumped after 2012, with the $6 million due next year forever gone.

Still, it likely wasn’t an accident that the news of this one came late on a Friday night. It’s hardly a big-money, long-term commitment.

Which actually will be regarded by plenty of Jets fans as good news.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/10/breaking-down-sanchezs-lipstick-and-powder-contract/[/URL]